Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 Realms of the Elves: "The Greater Treasure"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2006 :  14:02:02  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met

This is a Book Club thread for the short story entitled "The Greater Treasure", by Erik Scott de Bie, from the Realms of the Elves anthology.

Please discuss herein.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2006 :  19:15:11  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"The Greater Treasure?" I've read it. . . it's rubbish.

Oh. Ha.

But seriously, the reason for my post:

I just wanted to set out how honored I am to be in this anthology, under the wings of such great and prestigious Faerunians, planeswalkers, celestial beings, abyssal lords, and gods.

That my own modest little story could share space with these fantasy titans is a never-ending source of wonder and awe. It is a privilege and an honor.

And, having said my piece, I'll silence those tap-tap-tapping fingers of mine and let you discuss. . . when folks get their hands on the book, that is.

Cheers,

Erik

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2006 :  22:51:16  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

"The Greater Treasure?" I've read it. . . it's rubbish.

Actually, any story that has one character comparing another character's intimate skills to a god's abilities...well...rubbish isn't what comes to mind.

Wicked delight, now that is something that comes to mind with this story and especially with Twilight. I imagine that character was a blast to write. I really hated seeing this story come to an end as I'd love to read more about these characters especially Twilight and golden boy.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2006 :  19:47:56  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

Wicked delight, now that is something that comes to mind with this story and especially with Twilight. I imagine that character was a blast to write.

She truly, truly was. There are a few parallels with an old, much-beloved 2e character of mine, and I took a great deal of care with her. I mean. . . who wouldn't?

quote:
I really hated seeing this story come to an end as I'd love to read more about these characters especially Twilight and golden boy.

Heck. You never know. . .

Well, unless you're me, that is.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Ethriel
Learned Scribe

USA
272 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2006 :  16:52:59  Show Profile  Visit Ethriel's Homepage Send Ethriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, Erik, is there an unwritten pact between you and the other Fighters authors to write tantalizing stories that keep us wanting more? Just curious, now
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2006 :  17:40:49  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ethriel

So, Erik, is there an unwritten pact between you and the other Fighters authors to write tantalizing stories that keep us wanting more? Just curious, now

Who said anything about it being unwritten?

But seriously -- thanks for the praise, and I'm glad you enjoyed.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Ethriel
Learned Scribe

USA
272 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2006 :  00:31:41  Show Profile  Visit Ethriel's Homepage Send Ethriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, the praise is well deserved....now, get cracking on those sequels! *Snaps snake whip
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2006 :  17:25:33  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ethriel

Oh, the praise is well deserved....now, get cracking on those sequels! *Snaps snake whip

It all depends on what Wizards gives me rein to do.

Let's just say, for the moment, that I never forget my characters, and some may, very well, be seen again.

Remember, we do have a potential daemonfey on our hands. . .

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Beezy
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2006 :  22:31:40  Show Profile  Visit Beezy's Homepage Send Beezy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I greatly enjoyed Twilight's character as well. I would have certainly liked to know more about the bracer. I had a fixation with magicial items and weapons, possibly stemming from playing too many RPGs and online rpgs.

Is a shadow dancer a presitige class? I have not played AD&D since 2e and am out of the loop and outdated so to speak.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2006 :  23:26:47  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beezy
Is a shadow dancer a presitige class? I have not played AD&D since 2e and am out of the loop and outdated so to speak.

You're not outdated. You're well aged like good wines.

Shadow Dancer is a prestige class. It can be found in the 3rd ed DMG, page 35.
Go to Top of Page

Beezy
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2006 :  07:58:48  Show Profile  Visit Beezy's Homepage Send Beezy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks. I need to get a hold of my older brother's 3e handbook to browse because I have no idea whats going on with feats and prestige classes. Sorry to get a bit off topic
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2006 :  18:05:25  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beezy

Thanks. I need to get a hold of my older brother's 3e handbook to browse because I have no idea whats going on with feats and prestige classes. Sorry to get a bit off topic

Not off topic at all!

Ynloeth's Bracer is not something I created myself: it can be found in the Player's Guide to Faerun, page 125. It's also in a 2e supplement (I think Cormanthyr), but I couldn't give you a page reference off the top of my head. I recall consulting with Steven Schend about what it might look like and whatnot, so you've got at least two scribes agreeing on the aesthetics.

The Shattering Swords of Coronal Ynloeth (a minor artifact) can be found on page 126 of the PGtF.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

darkcrow
Learned Scribe

USA
269 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2006 :  02:29:42  Show Profile  Visit darkcrow's Homepage Send darkcrow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've just finish your story and I must say, The Greater Treasure is my favorite so far. I think WotC would be stupid not to give you a gig on a trilogy with Twilight. That story was alot of fun to read and I can't wait for that trilogy cause I know it's coming, I can taste it.

May Tymora smile upon ye
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2006 :  15:36:15  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by darkcrow

I've just finish your story and I must say, The Greater Treasure is my favorite so far. I think WotC would be stupid not to give you a gig on a trilogy with Twilight. That story was alot of fun to read and I can't wait for that trilogy cause I know it's coming, I can taste it.

Wow! What a vote of confidence! I'm glad you enjoyed.

Hey, it's like "Faerun of Dreams": if you demand it, they will come.

You never know, unless. . . well, you know.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Ethriel
Learned Scribe

USA
272 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2006 :  00:19:01  Show Profile  Visit Ethriel's Homepage Send Ethriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Erik, if you do get the go-ahead to do a trilogy, would we be expecting the return of old favorites? Alin would make such a cool side kick...and Cythara and her demonic lover have what I like to call 'untapped villain potential'...add that to Yldar and the Ghostwalker remnants. and we've got ourselves a great trilogy! I'd read it!...now we just need Jess to write a sequel to Master of Chains...
And sorry, I couldn't resist:
"So, we're looking to book a room for tonight an-"
"Eyes like fire atop a golden spire!"
"Uh, yeah, don't mind him..."
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2006 :  16:48:22  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ethriel, I'm going to go ahead and answer your post over in my thread in the chamber, 'cuz it talks about all my works in a fashion that's so interlaced as to be impossible to pick apart (well done! I love interlaced things, as you well know).

Here's a link: http://candlekeep.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3930&whichpage=5

To address the specifically "Greater Treasure" notes:

quote:
Cythara and her demonic lover have what I like to call 'untapped villain potential'...

Cythara's fate is a tad unclear at the end of the story. It's uncertain whether Graz'zt is her lover or merely her master or, well, both (only time will tell -- MWAHAHAHAHAHA!). All that's really certain is that Yldar's going to be after her, having refused Twilight's "freedom" in favor of fulfilling his own duty.

And I agree -- great villain potential.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 24 Feb 2006 16:58:53
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2006 :  01:12:53  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I liked Twilight as well. Its cool to see a referene to Erevan, and to get some "interesting" insight as to how he operates. Not to mention have branded former lovers show up is an interesting alternative to the ever expanding list of gods with Chosen. How would you do a write up of that organization? The Exes of Erevan?

So, I would assume that Twilight met or viewed those extra planar personalities she mentions while in Erevan company, yes? Or was she just REALLY yanking Yldar's chain. I liked it when she corrected his grammer as well.

Oh yeah, and that comment she made about him not being as "proficient" as Erevan . . . its it not in the nature of every woman to deflate the ego of a man at our most sensitive moments. Who's going to live up to a GOD?
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2006 :  15:53:54  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

I liked Twilight as well. Its cool to see a referene to Erevan, and to get some "interesting" insight as to how he operates.

Oh, the depth of the relationship between Twilight and Erevan goes a LOT deeper than what this story has hinted. She's definitely an agent of his, as much a servant as such a being could have, but that she hates him with a burning passion sets her a bit apart from your average godly devotee. More than that, I shall say not. I'll leave you to guess why.

quote:
Not to mention have branded former lovers show up is an interesting alternative to the ever expanding list of gods with Chosen.

Twilight's definitely a powerful agent, but not necessarily a Chosen, mind. That, pretty much, is NDA'd.

quote:
How would you do a write up of that organization? The Exes of Erevan?

LOL to that!

I wouldn't imagine that all of them become agents of any kind, nor are all of them necessarily alive. If Greek mythology has taught us anything, it's that the gods do what (and who) they want, when they want, whether anyone cares or not. Many would see it as an honor or a deeply spiritual thing -- a dalliance with a deity -- while some would inevitably end up HATING said deity. The only commonality to their various experiences would be that dalliances with the divine tend to change the lives of mortals permanently.

And the Exes wouldn't be a "valorous" organization, I'll tell you.

quote:
So, I would assume that Twilight met or viewed those extra planar personalities she mentions while in Erevan company, yes?

Perhaps.

quote:
Or was she just REALLY yanking Yldar's chain.

As the story showed, it wasn't very hard to do so. Whenever she wanted.

quote:
Oh yeah, and that comment she made about him not being as "proficient" as Erevan . . . its it not in the nature of every woman to deflate the ego of a man at our most sensitive moments. Who's going to live up to a GOD?

Women are good at that, aren't they?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Bluenose
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
134 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2006 :  15:34:58  Show Profile  Visit Bluenose's Homepage Send Bluenose a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is certainly the story I had most fun reading in this anthology, and also the one which gave me most ideas to torment my players with. Poor befuddled Yldar is totally out of his depth with both his sister and Twilight, though it takes him a long time to realise it. I loved the look at two aristocratic Sun elves thrown into the seamy underbelly of a human city. And Rose-at-Twilight can come and fool me any time she wants.

These, in the day when heaven was falling,
The hour when earth's foundations fled,
Followed their mercenary calling
And took their wages and are dead.

Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
What God abandoned, these defended,
And saved the sum of things for pay.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2006 :  16:14:25  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm glad you liked it, Bluenose. I thought the various contrasts (sun vs. moon, each elf vs. elf, elf society vs. human society, etc.) were fun to play around with.

Ideas to torment your players with? Ah! I see my work here is done.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2006 :  20:44:25  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I really liked the overall feel of this story and Elversult is one of my favorite places in the Realms too, so it boded well from the start I liked at the start how it went over the recent history of Elversult regarding the necromancer overthrow by the current ruler. Cool.

One thing I picked up which I thought was a really small but nice touch, was how a couple of times, after a descriptive passage, it said "Such is the way along the Dragon Coast"

It made me chuckle also when Twilight was describing demons and saying how Orcus and Grazzt were boring and not much company. As though she had spend a few nights down the bar with them or something I really liked Twilight, great character and full of energy.

The scene where Grazzt turns up was very eerie. The total darkness and him emerging above the alter. Great descriptions of the fella too. The whole alter scene was a highlight of the story for me.

The closing scenes were also beautifully done. Left quite a sad ending how she just slipped away.

Great story!

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2006 :  23:48:28  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Glad you enjoyed!

quote:
Originally posted by Lord Rad

Well I really liked the overall feel of this story and Elversult is one of my favorite places in the Realms too, so it boded well from the start I liked at the start how it went over the recent history of Elversult regarding the necromancer overthrow by the current ruler. Cool.

Who says I don't do Realmslore? Ha!

quote:
It made me chuckle also when Twilight was describing demons and saying how Orcus and Grazzt were boring and not much company. As though she had spend a few nights down the bar with them or something

Who knows -- maybe she did? Abyssal pubs!

quote:
The scene where Grazzt turns up was very eerie. The total darkness and him emerging above the altar. Great descriptions of the fella too. The whole altar scene was a highlight of the story for me.

Interestingly enough, when I originally wrote this story, this was the first scene I wrote. I wrote it LONG before I had the story planned out, and was planning on using it in SOMETHING. As eerie as it ended up, it was even MORE eerie in first draft -- I rewrote before I even sent it to Phil.

There's my Ravenloft and/or Book of Vile Darkness tendencies peering through.

quote:
The closing scenes were also beautifully done. Left quite a sad ending how she just slipped away.

Great story!

Thanks!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

dannyfu
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2006 :  04:17:36  Show Profile  Visit dannyfu's Homepage Send dannyfu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
absolutely my favorite story in the anthology. i know that rich baker's trilogy is coming to a close in june with the Returning in gear and after reading "the greater treasure", i would love to see you write more about the elves of faerun. i really think you capture the core racial traits well, yet still add a personal depth to each character. if you can pull that off in a short story, i would love to see what you would do with a trilogy!
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2006 :  15:58:54  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the praise, Dannyfu. I'm glad you enjoyed!

quote:
i would love to see what you would do with a trilogy!

You and me both, buddy. I guess time will tell.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Swordsage
Learned Scribe

149 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2006 :  11:36:04  Show Profile  Visit Swordsage's Homepage Send Swordsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's stories like this that make me doubt that I have any skerrick of intelligence. Please, someone fill me in on what I was supposed to get out of "The Greater Treasure"? I have three characters: a fairly typical arrogant male gold elf who comes across as someone who's a bit of a twit, has no idea his sister is on the brink of or does already worship demons, and chases after a bit of crumpet but forms no lasting or seemingly meaningful attachment (other than a physical one). I have a gold elf female whose motivations remain a total mystery. I've got no clue as to why she became a Grazzt worshipper. Anyone care to fill me in? I have a mysterious moon elf, who worships a trickster god, whose motivation to help a gold elf brother and sister team recover a relic, also remain a mystery. Did she have some beef with the demon-worshippers? Did she want to mess with them for the thrill? Did she want to get into Yldar's pants and then tagged along for the ride for the heck of it? Floating throughout is a famous relic of Shantel Othreier that acts as some sort of unattainable 'holy grail' and is supposed to be the motivation for most of the actions of the protagonists. But all the tale tells me is that the gold elves seek the artifact ... because it's an artifact and they seek it. Why do they want to find the bracer? Again, I'm totally in the dark here.

This was a decently written story but I just couldn't get into it because I didn't gel with the what was propelling the story along. The motivation for the entertaining events (I liked the use of Grazzt in particular) was totally lost on me. Like I said: hopefully someone smarter wil be along to tell me what I missed.

The Swordsage
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2006 :  16:32:09  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Swordsage

It's stories like this that make me doubt that I have any skerrick of intelligence.

Nonsense, my good sir! Give yourself more credit. Intelligence is often a matter of asking the good questions.

Now, since this is the book club and I am here to answer questions, I’ll do my best!

quote:
a fairly typical arrogant male gold elf who comes across as someone who's a bit of a twit

More or less, I suppose, the classic male sun – blustery and egotistical, raised on Evermeet, hasn’t been off the island that much, and the time he has been on the road has been spent in the company of his sister (though her arrogance is more insidious: a kind of uninterested contempt for all things weaker than herself).

In concept, the events of the story change him: Yldar goes from stuffy and ignorant to at least demonstrating some genuine emotion for something outside of himself (for Cythara? For Twilight? Both?). A broadening of his view, perhaps. He sees, at the end, the consequences of his inherent self-centeredness – driving away people who are important to him.

But yes – a twit? Absolutely. He’s not necessarily stupid (he can cast spells and has some wizardly training – basically your fighter/mage/thief), but he has absolutely no common sense. The fact that he seems completely incapable of thinking things through definitely makes him a twit.

quote:
has no idea his sister is on the brink of or does already worship demons … I have a gold elf female whose motivations remain a total mystery. I've got no clue as to why she became a Grazzt worshipper.

She doesn’t already worship demons, but Cythara is the sort who’s willing to make any bargain if she sees a real advantage in it. She sees the power Graz’zt offers and chooses to take it, partly because it’s the only real choice in the situation in which she finds herself (surrounded by his cultists, without a teleport. . .), and partly as a way of breaking free and asserting her independence from an otherwise crushing brother.

quote:
a bit of crumpet

I love that description of Twilight. And I think she would too.

quote:
but forms no lasting or seemingly meaningful attachment (other than a physical one).

I think he does, but she runs away – perhaps *because* he does. Or perhaps his interest isn't *enough* to overcome his attachment to his sister, so Twilight skips out on a hopeless (in her mind) situation. He cries at the end, but whether it’s over either of the women or over himself, I left purposefully ambiguous. Gotta leave some things open to interpretation.

quote:
I have a mysterious moon elf, who worships a trickster god, whose motivation to help a gold elf brother and sister team recover a relic, also remain a mystery. Did she have some beef with the demon-worshippers? Did she want to mess with them for the thrill? Did she want to get into Yldar's pants and then tagged along for the ride for the heck of it?

Perhaps it was the coin and the thrill. Or, since she’d worked with them before, perhaps they’d burned her and she wanted payback. Perhaps because she was interested in Yldar from the second she saw him. And perhaps she did it just because she could. Perhaps for all these reasons – there’s certainly evidence for all of them.

As you say, she is mysterious and worships a trickster god.

quote:
Floating throughout is a famous relic of Shantel Othreier that acts as some sort of unattainable 'holy grail' and is supposed to be the motivation for most of the actions of the protagonists. But all the tale tells me is that the gold elves seek the artifact ... because it's an artifact and they seek it. Why do they want to find the bracer?

I could have been clearer about this, but I think I edited out the expository sentences in final draft. Suffice it to say, the disgraced Yldar is a treasure-hunter (adventurer, you could say), seeking lost relics in order to restore his honor and his name. Cythara accompanies him because, let’s face it: without her, he wouldn’t last five minutes.

quote:
This was a decently written story but I just couldn't get into it because I didn't gel with the what was propelling the story along. The motivation for the entertaining events (I liked the use of Grazzt in particular) was totally lost on me.

I’m sorry it didn’t work better for you, but I’m glad you liked certain “entertaining events”! I jumped on the chance to use Graz’zt, who had been a recurring villain (much loved by me, hated by my players) in some 2e campaigns back in the day.

I know I haven't filled in all the blanks with this post -- some of them, I just asserted are *supposed* to be blank. I generally prefer stories that are open, not clear-cut, that allow readers to see what they want.

Anything else, just let me know!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 10 Apr 2006 16:38:29
Go to Top of Page

Swordsage
Learned Scribe

149 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2006 :  03:47:56  Show Profile  Visit Swordsage's Homepage Send Swordsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I very much appreciate the response Mr de Bie, and it's clear that the 'fault' (to use a likely inappropriate term) is all mine. I guess I should think for myself rather than expecting to be spoonfed. It would have helped to have had the search for the bracer motivation included however. It would have given me a bit more perspective on the gold elves and their reasons for doing what they did.

You sir however are a class act and "Ghostwalker" has been added to my buy list accordingly. Thanks again.

The Swordsage
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2006 :  15:56:13  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I very much appreciate the response Mr de Bie, and it's clear that the 'fault' (to use a likely inappropriate term) is all mine.

Nah. No 'fault' -- if it wasn't clear, it wasn't clear. That's why forums like this are around (well, one of the reasons).

And please -- call me Erik.

quote:
It would have helped to have had the search for the bracer motivation included however. It would have given me a bit more perspective on the gold elves and their reasons for doing what they did.

That's truly a valuable observation. I shall consider such things for the future.

Perhaps I put too much focus on the inter-character play and should have done a bit more foundational work (even just, as you imply, a few sentences). Like I said, there was some in the first draft, but I ended up cutting it, mostly for space constraints. Though I could have written it in such a way as to be truly indispensible. . . next time.

quote:
You sir however are a class act and "Ghostwalker" has been added to my buy list accordingly. Thanks again.

Well slap me silly -- thanks!

And I hope you enjoy the book. Let me know what you think when you're done, if you like (over in the Chamber or at my blog (signature) or email). I'll warn you -- it has a bit of mystery to it as well.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Beezy
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2006 :  05:37:16  Show Profile  Visit Beezy's Homepage Send Beezy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I very much appreciate the response Mr de Bie, and it's clear that the 'fault' (to use a likely inappropriate term) is all mine. I guess I should think for myself rather than expecting to be spoonfed. It would have helped to have had the search for the bracer motivation included however. It would have given me a bit more perspective on the gold elves and their reasons for doing what they did.

I think you will enjoy Ghostwalker. I flew through the book pretty quickly. Also Erik is great at discussing his writing with us. I had a few questions after reading Ghostwalker and he cleared them up for me and it all made sense to me after that.

The Swordsage

Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2006 :  19:32:23  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I respected Cythara in the beginning, but now I can`t help but despise her. I`m sorry Erik, but I simply detest those who would willingly become the servants of demons.
Ps. The above doesn`t mean that your story wasn`t very good.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2006 :  04:56:04  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I respected Cythara in the beginning, but now I can`t help but despise her. I`m sorry Erik, but I simply detest those who would willingly become the servants of demons.

Well. . . .

If it raised such hackles, I guess it worked, then.

Glad you enjoyed. What aspect/scene/bit worked best, do you think?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000