Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Most Underrated Series/Trilogy?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Zaknafein
Seeker

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2007 :  04:54:10  Show Profile  Visit Zaknafein's Homepage Send Zaknafein a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hm, I honestly don't know, but for me I suppose I would have to say the Sembia series. I personally enjoyed the series and don't think very many others did, but I could be wrong. Post what you think!

Zaknafein Do'Urden: mentor, teacher, friend....To Zak, the one who inspired my courage. -Drizzt Do'Urden

Full plate and packing steel.

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2007 :  05:03:29  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that the general consensus of the forgotten realms community has.....too many opinions to be able to answer this, but I will add my own opinion.

Hmmm, the most under rated trilogy??? From the publishers, from my view point,under rated the finders stone trilogy.(we need more) From fans, I would choose RoTA, and duck real quick

Edited by - scererar on 29 Jan 2007 05:04:30
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2007 :  07:31:33  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had the impression that the Sembia books were generally well liked, although I must admit they were a mixed batch for me personally.

As for most underrated in my personal opinion. This is a difficult question as I don't pay to much attention to what others opinion of books are. Neither is my personal enjoyment a measurement for quality.

I would say that I am among those that liked the Moonshae series more than the average reader. This is the only whole series I can think of though. Other books are Elminster in Hell and several of the Harper books( Night parade, Soldiers of Ice ). I like the Giant series, but these don't feel like the Realms to me. But as I said, I would not say that they are underrated, its more a case of me enjoying them more than most readers.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2007 :  22:33:40  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with Jorkens about the Sembia series--while I personally don't think the series was consistently excellent, that series is mentioned pretty often here and usually gets positive reviews. Therefore, I'm not sure if it qualifies as "underrated".

Hmmm. I'm inclined to say the House of Serpents series might count as "underrated"--granted, it only recently finished, but people don't seem to talk about it that much. I also think the Counselors and Kings trilogy is often overshadowed by Elaine Cunningham's other (no less wonderful) books. I also loved Ed Greenwood's Shadow of the Avatar series...I might be reaching here but it strikes me as a series that might be easily overlooked.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2007 :  01:27:31  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with RF on counselors and kings. excellent trilogy, but did not seem to get the status it deserved.
Go to Top of Page

Walls
Acolyte

30 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2007 :  04:06:06  Show Profile  Visit Walls's Homepage Send Walls a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I often wondered how the Rogue Dragon and the Giant trilogies were.
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2007 :  04:14:19  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Walls

I often wondered how the Rogue Dragon and the Giant trilogies were.

Read em and find out I have read the twilight giants trilogy and it is ok, not the greatest, but interesting. The year of the rogue dragons, I started, but have not finished yet. fairly good trilogy

Edited by - scererar on 30 Jan 2007 04:20:48
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2007 :  07:18:42  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Walls

I often wondered how the Rogue Dragon and the Giant trilogies were

The Giant books are interesting if you like giants, they are a bit lacking in Realms flavour though. The story is rather traditional ranger and princess one, with a few quirks, but along with the 2ed. Giantcraft book this is the best information on giants you will find.

Come to think of it I agree with Rinonalyrnan the House of Serpents series is surprisingly seldom mentioned.
Go to Top of Page

J D Dunsany
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
180 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2007 :  21:26:33  Show Profile  Visit J D Dunsany's Homepage Send J D Dunsany a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Personally, I'd go for 'Counsellors & Kings', which, considering the following its author has, seems absurd, but it's true - you don't hear many people hail it as a 'classic'.

I might throw in 'Threat From The Sea' just to be controversial. I know loads of people didn't care for it, but I really liked it - it had pirates, sahuagin, a very interesting exploration of the underwater realms of Faerun and a great romance story too. (I know, I know, I'm a big softy at heart! ) Plus, Iakhovas is a great villain. Very vicious.

"How content that young woman looks, don't you think? How content, and yet how flammable." - Lemony Snicket, The Unauthorized Autobiography
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2007 :  23:50:49  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't mind Threat for the Sea. I liked Mistress of the Night. The Cleric Quintet is my vote for best series, I'm not sure how many would concur.

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2007 :  00:07:34  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MerrikCale
The Cleric Quintet is my vote for best series, I'm not sure how many would concur.

I can't, I'm sorry. I'm more likely to consider TCQ overrated. But hey, everyone's different.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2007 :  00:13:47  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's very hard to know which books are well thought of: 'underrated' largely means 'I like it better than those other guys'. But there are books that are certainly underexposed, out of print and relatively little known: the Grubb & Novak books, Shadow of the Avatar, the anthologies. Maybe The Simbul's Gift, though I haven't read it.

Zaknafein, if not many others enjoyed the Sembia series, Wizards likely wouldn't be reissuing it.

Edited by - Faraer on 19 Mar 2007 00:35:55
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2007 :  00:39:56  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:
Originally posted by MerrikCale
The Cleric Quintet is my vote for best series, I'm not sure how many would concur.

I can't, I'm sorry. I'm more likely to consider TCQ overrated. But hey, everyone's different.

We all know you don't like RAS and R. Baker, I think you made your point.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2007 :  00:56:43  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skeptic

We all know you don't like RAS and R. Baker, I think you made your point.

Eh...that's not entirely accurate:

--My feelings about RAS's work are more ambiguous than stark dislike...I like some of his books, dislike others. I liked his most recent novel. In fact, I tend to like his novels that get bad press from many of his most devoted fans, like Spine of the World.

--I didn't like the Rich Baker trilogy that many others here seem to like, but I DID enjoy his more obscure Shadow Stone novel.

So, you (and all the other people you are speaking for) don't "know" as much about me as you seem to think. Please think before making assumptions like you did above. It's not fair and it's not appreciated (and I don't recall ever doing it to you!).

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 19 Mar 2007 00:59:26
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2007 :  01:21:49  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Sorry for false assumptions, I'll be short and more precise.

How many times again will you say that you disliked the Last Mythal Trilogy ?

P.S. (I'm not a devoted fan of either of those authors).
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2007 :  01:25:42  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let's try and keep things civil, eh?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2007 :  01:34:35  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I didn't even mention the Last Mythal trilogy in this thread (until YOU brought it up). So can you please get off my back and be a little less rude? I don't have anything against you!

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 19 Mar 2007 01:35:21
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2007 :  01:53:05  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I forgot about the shadow stone novel. Very good. Another one that did not get it's proper amount of attention.
Go to Top of Page

laethyn
Acolyte

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2007 :  02:24:16  Show Profile  Visit laethyn's Homepage Send laethyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really enjoyed Escape from Undermountain. Indeed, I enjoyed all of Mark Anthony's Realms novels
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2007 :  05:20:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:

I didn't even mention the Last Mythal trilogy in this thread (until YOU brought it up). So can you please get off my back and be a little less rude? I don't have anything against you!

Enough, please. The rest of us do not wish to read more of this debate. If it must be continued (and I hope it isn't), please take it to PM.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

koz
Seeker

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2007 :  07:31:31  Show Profile  Visit koz's Homepage Send koz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess I'll add my opinion. I think that a lot of times people think that a novel or series is underrated is because they liked it and a lot of people they talk to didn't. That doesn't neccessarily make it underrated. It just means in the circle of people involved that only a small number liked it. Does that make it a bad novel....no, of course not. Everyone has their opinions. Think about just how many people that you haven't talked to who have read it and enjoyed it. The world is a big place and everyone has a different opinion on what they consider a good novel. That is why there are so many great Realms authors to choose from and so many stories to be told. Maybe one author is not what you are looking for but another is. There is nothing wrong with that but there is no need to bash an author or someone who enjoys that author's work just because it wasn't for you. Be happy for the people who did enjoy it and try to find something that is more to your liking. I personally have a hard time with some of Ed Greenwood's writing but I don't go around telling everyone that he is a terrible writer because that is not true. It simply means that some of his works were just not for me. I admit that I really enjoyed the Shadow of the Avatar series and his Band of Four series was brilliant. I guess what I am saying is the next time you think a novel is underrated ask yourself a question. Is it underrated because you like it and others tell you that it wasn't any good? If so I encourage you to seek out others who liked it and enjoy what you have in common. That's why we are all here right? To enjoy a common love for the Realms. At least that is why I am here. Oh and to answer the topic's question I would have to say the Finder's Stone Trilogy or The Threat From the Sea. The first is out of print so a lot of new readers don't know about it and the second isn't talked about much on here. I enjoyed both. I really enjoyed the aqautic setting and seafaring descriptions in The Threat from the Sea. That is just my opinion though.

Edited by - koz on 19 Mar 2007 07:36:10
Go to Top of Page

quajack
Seeker

86 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2007 :  18:23:13  Show Profile  Visit quajack's Homepage Send quajack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master of Chains and The Yellow Silk are two of the more recent tomes that deserve added attention. The House of Serpents 3 also deserves more play.
Go to Top of Page

quajack
Seeker

86 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2007 :  18:24:27  Show Profile  Visit quajack's Homepage Send quajack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
City of Ravens should also be read by everyone.
Go to Top of Page

Gruen
Acolyte

12 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2007 :  19:01:39  Show Profile  Visit Gruen's Homepage Send Gruen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by quajack

City of Ravens should also be read by everyone.

Agreed. City of Ravens was a good novel. I also liked the Black Bouquet, though I suppose that may not qualify since it got enough attention to get Byers a major career writing FR fiction. Hmmm.

Gruen
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2007 :  20:25:04  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glad you enjoyed it, Gruen.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2007 :  23:09:25  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by koz

I guess I'll add my opinion. I think that a lot of times people think that a novel or series is underrated is because they liked it and a lot of people they talk to didn't. That doesn't neccessarily make it underrated. It just means in the circle of people involved that only a small number liked it.

I agree with you totally. For the record, my answers here are obviously just based my personal experience and the comments I've read from other people, although there is never going to be any way to know for sure how "accurate" one's assessment of popularity vs. unpopularity is. There are sales statistics, but it's possible to buy books because one likes the setting, but end up not liking an individual book (like me).

Go to Top of Page

Koushiro
Acolyte

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2007 :  04:35:05  Show Profile  Visit Koushiro's Homepage Send Koushiro a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to say I enjoyed Threat from the Sea myself, But that could very well be just because it was the first Realms series I had read.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000