Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 New covers: II/2007
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

O Love
Acolyte

Germany
49 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2006 :  12:34:19  Show Profile  Visit O Love's Homepage Send O Love a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Wizard of the Coast released the following images:

- "The Gossamer Plain": First of the Empyrean Odyssey trilogy
- "Scream of Stone": Last of the Watercourse trilogy
- "Best of the Realms, Book III": Best of Elaine

Thanks to zau, who found those pictures.

A note to all fellow webmasters: Please note the title correction of Thomas' new trilogy, it's "empyrean" now...

Forgotten Realms: The Library - News

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2006 :  12:54:55  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The cover for The Gossamer Plain is classic fantasy stuff, my first thought was Eddings, but also quite Tolkienesque. I like it.
Not particularly fond of the style for Scream Of Stone, and that's my least favourite of the covers for the series.
I like the one for the Best Of EC though. I'm looking forward to that one, and I still need to pick up the Best Of Eddie...

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2006 :  15:07:58  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder if anyone isn't looking forward to the Best of Elaine?

Anyway, Best of EC cover looks fun. I'm guessing the cover characters are Kymil (no sticky up hair, so its not Elaith!), Arilyn (obviously) and Liriel maybe, but she looks a tad old in that pic. Any better guesses?

Edited by - Uzzy on 05 Dec 2006 15:08:33
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2006 :  19:38:41  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Like The Gossamer Plain cover. Colorful and classic-looking.

Dislike (hate?) the Scream of Stone cover--gaudy with a dated look ("classic" and "dated" are not synonyms!).

Like the Best of the Realms cover, though I have no clue who the two people beside Arilyn are.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2006 :  07:38:02  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Gossamer Plain cover is nice, but does not do much for me personally.

I like the cover for Scream of Stone, I cant help it, the cover of these books remind me of old 70's and early 80's pulp sci-fi and sword & sorcery. I have a great preference for things dated as well as classic.
Go to Top of Page

Brenigin
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
117 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2006 :  08:28:49  Show Profile  Visit Brenigin's Homepage Send Brenigin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I suspect that the Scream of Stone cover is a 'working version' of the final art. It is a much cruder painting style than the previous 2 covers in the trilogy. Wizards often do this - cf: the black and white Drizzt covers we've seen.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2006 :  20:06:04  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

I like the cover for Scream of Stone, I cant help it, the cover of these books remind me of old 70's and early 80's pulp sci-fi and sword & sorcery. I have a great preference for things dated as well as classic.

Heh. I kind of do too, but the colors on that cover are borderline nauseating (though I agree, it may not be the final cover).

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

O Love
Acolyte

Germany
49 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2006 :  18:42:36  Show Profile  Visit O Love's Homepage Send O Love a Private Message  Reply with Quote
2 more covers:

- "The Howling Delve": Second (?) novel of The Dungeons
- "The Shattered Mask": Reprint of the third Sembia book

Thanks to zau, who found those pictures.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2006 :  20:55:01  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Howling Delve: That guy looks creepy. Anyway, I doubt that's the final cover.

The Shattered Mask: Wow, these new covers apparently can't get enough T&A--and muscles, and tattered fabric spraying out in ribbons. What are they thinking? These covers are so stylized they've missed the flavor of the novels, I think.

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 12 Dec 2006 20:55:59
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2006 :  21:28:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

These covers are so stylized they've missed the flavor of the novels, I think.

A lot of recent covers have been that way, IMO. If I went by cover art alone, I would have stopped buying Realms products -- novels and sourcebooks -- several years ago. I truly wonder why their art directors have chosen to move in this direction.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

zauriel
Acolyte

Germany
16 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2006 :  00:11:05  Show Profile  Visit zauriel's Homepage Send zauriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
2 more covers:

- "Swords of Dragonfire": Second novel of The Knights of Myth Drannor
- "Black Wolf": Reprint of the fourth Sembia book

"Can you feel the thunder inside?"
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2006 :  01:12:20  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

These covers are so stylized they've missed the flavor of the novels, I think.

A lot of recent covers have been that way, IMO. If I went by cover art alone, I would have stopped buying Realms products -- novels and sourcebooks -- several years ago. I truly wonder why their art directors have chosen to move in this direction.

Damned if I know--heck, even the "old" Sembia covers aren't that old...are covers that DON'T feature whiz-bang action considered "dated" or something?

Swords of Dragonfire: Wow, is that a view of a Cormyrean court? Cool! Love that cover, can't wait to see it in color.

Black Wolf: More contorted poses, tattered clothing, etc. etc.

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 13 Dec 2006 01:12:56
Go to Top of Page

Archwizard
Learned Scribe

USA
266 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2006 :  03:00:22  Show Profile  Visit Archwizard's Homepage Send Archwizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why is everyone wielding a sword in the new Sembia covers...?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2006 :  04:30:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Archwizard

Why is everyone wielding a sword in the new Sembia covers...?

Because a turkey drumstick wasn't as dramatic.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2006 :  17:48:32  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
beautiful covers. looking forward to admiring them on my bookshelf

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1072 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2006 :  18:05:22  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great i like it. Great design on the Howling Delve.

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2006 :  07:17:15  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Would it surprise any one if I said I prefer the older version of the Sembia books? Tastes differ, but the covers are less and less to my personal taste; these would be nice for Planescape, but they don't exactly give me a realms feel.

The covers for the Wizards series are OK though.
Go to Top of Page

Jaleigh J.
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
139 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2006 :  19:25:18  Show Profile  Visit Jaleigh J.'s Homepage Send Jaleigh J. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The Howling Delve: That guy looks creepy.

He's the romantic lead. ;)

http://www.jaleighjohnson.com
http://www.livejournal.com/users/jaleigh_johnson
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2006 :  19:52:35  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was just cruising through the boards and I saw Jaleigh was online. I knew she'd be posting something I'd want to read.

Then I saw this:

quote:
Originally posted by Jaleigh J.

quote:

And promptly split my sides.

Now I'm in the hospital.

Cheers

EDIT: That's assuming she was joking. Maybe she wasn't!

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 14 Dec 2006 22:29:51
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2006 :  20:09:14  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WHAT?! That...thing is the romantic lead?

Okay, now I really have to read that book.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2006 :  20:44:12  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I really like the cover. It reminds me of something i've seen before but can't think what right now

Jaleigh, what are your thoughts on the cover? Is it as you had hoped? Does it portray the book well?

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2006 :  20:50:50  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love the cover for The Gossamer Plain. It looks like it's by the same artist who did Voyage of the Mourning Dawn (Eberr...).

Elaine's anthology is very nice too and i'm glad they've kept the same style as Ed's anthologies.

Whilst the Sembia covers are ok (i'm not too much of a fan of Swanland's art....it's good, but it's a certain flavor that I think would be best in Ravenloft rather than the Realms), I prefer the original covers.

Don't like the Scream of Stone cover, but I didn't like the previous two either.

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2006 :  20:53:30  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting Lisa's putting out 2 of her novels from the lady Pentitient trilogy in 1 year....

See it can be done!!!

*Cracks whip at Paul, Thomas and Richard*

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2006 :  22:49:38  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Swords of Dragonfire one looks cool, definitely want to check out a colour version.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2006 :  00:45:26  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Blame WotC, Dargoth, not me. I could write, at a minimum, two Forgotten Realms novels per year, but most years, WotC only wants one from me.
Go to Top of Page

Malarick
Seeker

United Kingdom
86 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2006 :  02:17:36  Show Profile Send Malarick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Rad

I really like the cover. It reminds me of something i've seen before but can't think what right now

Probably your old avatar for Rumplestiltskin (not the current one).

http://www.worldsofdnd.com/forum/images/avatars/gallery/dnd/rumple.jpg

Malarick
Go to Top of Page

Jaleigh J.
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
139 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2006 :  02:41:24  Show Profile  Visit Jaleigh J.'s Homepage Send Jaleigh J. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

WHAT?! That...thing is the romantic lead?

Yeah, I wanted Daniel Craig to model for the cover, but he was busy with that whole 007 gig. ;)

Erik: Sorry about the major injuries, but I can't promise never to do it again. ;)

Lord Rad: The cover, assuming that ends up being the final, pleases me greatly. I wanted something striking--I got it and then some. But if you want a little teaser for the book, my favorite detail about the cover is not the figure, but what appears in the background. ;)

http://www.jaleighjohnson.com
http://www.livejournal.com/users/jaleigh_johnson
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2006 :  17:48:51  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Erik: Sorry about the major injuries, but I can't promise never to do it again. ;)

Heh -- I wouldn't want a promise like that anyway.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2006 :  19:25:58  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Lord Rad: The cover, assuming that ends up being the final, pleases me greatly. I wanted something striking--I got it and then some. But if you want a little teaser for the book, my favorite detail about the cover is not the figure, but what appears in the background. ;)

Tis hard to tell what's in the background (pictures of dragons?), but that...guy looks like he's carrying a ball of yarn.

Go to Top of Page

zauriel
Acolyte

Germany
16 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2006 :  16:35:54  Show Profile  Visit zauriel's Homepage Send zauriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote

1 colored cover:

"Can you feel the thunder inside?"
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2006 :  23:51:11  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zauriel

1 colored cover:

Kewl!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000