Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 The Moonsea - Grass Sea
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Blackwill
Seeker

55 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2007 :  10:29:59  Show Profile  Visit Blackwill's Homepage Send Blackwill a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Between Zhentil Keep and Phlan, there is an area where in certain ruins and sites such as The Lone Tower and the Giant's Cairn can be found. The area itself lacks much information.

Does anyone have any idea of what kind of fauna and flora grows and lives here? If the terrain is hilly or very flat, does it change as it grows closer to the Dragonspine Mountains?

Any information about the area, or a direction towards a resource would be more than helpfull.

~Blackwill

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2007 :  11:08:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The maps in both the The Moonsea and Mysteries of the Moonsea supplements indicate that the region itself is fairly "clear" with little to no immediate elevation.

And both of the above sourcebooks have a little on what can be found there -- in terms of fauna and flora. The "Melvaunt and the North" section in MotM notes a few specifics.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Blackwill
Seeker

55 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2007 :  10:10:16  Show Profile  Visit Blackwill's Homepage Send Blackwill a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info.

~Blackwill
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2010 :  05:50:27  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
[Dalor Darden casts Rez Scroll]

I'm still trying to dig up some information on "The Lone Tower" and the Giant's Cairn as well.

In earlier maps the two are listed as being separate from each other; but in the new map from the "Monument of the Ancients" adventure they are placed together, with the tower in the middle of the cairn area.

Anyone have any information?

I'll be asking Ed and THO too...but I was hoping for anything at all.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2010 :  21:56:19  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My maps only reflect how the terrain is SUPPOSED TO BE, without any erroneous 4e changes. New, consistent 4e lore, on the other hand, WILL be included (such as ancient sites that could have been on earlier edition maps).

As a amateur cartographer, I find the purposeful changing of locales repugnant. Geography is one thing, but locales MUST remain consistent from edition to edition. 'Unreliable sources' is no excuse for bad research or just deciding to 'homebrew' the Realms for its own sake.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2010 :  22:53:44  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well...The Ride project I'm working on will be set in the 1st Edition Era...around the time of Ruins of Adventure/Pools of Radiance.

Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2011 :  05:31:18  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

I'm still trying to dig up some information on "The Lone Tower" and the Giant's Cairn as well.

In earlier maps the two are listed as being separate from each other; but in the new map from the "Monument of the Ancients" adventure they are placed together, with the tower in the middle of the cairn area.
I designed the map for Monument of the Ancients and I'd be happy to address any inconsistencies found within. Yet, this isn't one of them.

Examine the following quote from TSR9474 "The Moonsea" p.31
The Lone Tower
This tall granite tower was built to protect the Moonsea
against Thar. Years ago it was a scene of a great
slaughter between the humans of Thar and beings
from the north.

There is a round field, called the Giant's Cairn, surrounding
the Tower. The barren stretch is dotted with
great burial mounds capped with stones. I have been
told that some inscriptions on the stones are curses
that summon giants, but that sounds too far-fetched
to be true. Many of Thar#146;s humanoids who died at the
Lone Tower are said to be buried at the Giants#146; Cairn.
I tend to favor lore descriptions found in text, so I used this as an opportunity to correct a mistake repeated on earlier maps. I hope Markus finds this change less "repugnant" now that he knows the facts behind the decision.

BTW, I *am* working on a new map of the area so if there is anything to correct, now would be the time to bring it to my attention!

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2011 :  07:20:32  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

I designed the map for Monument of the Ancients and I'd be happy to address any inconsistencies found within. Yet, this isn't one of them.

Examine the following quote from TSR9474 "The Moonsea" p.31
The Lone Tower
This tall granite tower was built to protect the Moonsea
against Thar. Years ago it was a scene of a great
slaughter between the humans of Thar and beings
from the north.

There is a round field, called the Giant's Cairn, surrounding
the Tower. The barren stretch is dotted with
great burial mounds capped with stones. I have been
told that some inscriptions on the stones are curses
that summon giants, but that sounds too far-fetched
to be true. Many of Thar#146;s humanoids who died at the
Lone Tower are said to be buried at the Giants#146; Cairn.
I tend to favor lore descriptions found in text, so I used this as an opportunity to correct a mistake repeated on earlier maps. I hope Markus finds this change less "repugnant" now that he knows the facts behind the decision.

BTW, I *am* working on a new map of the area so if there is anything to correct, now would be the time to bring it to my attention!

Thanks Brian!

I appreciate that...I totally overlooked that bit of writing.

What is your map for?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000