Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Celestial paragons in FR
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

FurryFury
Acolyte

4 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2007 :  09:06:43  Show Profile  Visit FurryFury's Homepage Send FurryFury a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Good day everyone,
A player of mine wants to play a Lawful good character with the concept of a "divine assassin" (cleric/rogue/shadowbane stalker, most likely) with a flavour close to those of a Slayer of Domiel prestige class from Book of Exalted Deeds. In the section about celestial paragons in PGtF, it is written that in FR, celestial paragons are servants to deities, and I assume they do not grant spells themselves. However, since the player has read Avatars trilogy he has had a very low opinion on good-aligned FR deities, especially the Triad and doesn't want to worship any of them. The question is whether Domiel (he wants his character be a cleric of this archon) can grant spells directly, and has an order of followers in the Realms.

Mazrim_Taim
Learned Scribe

341 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2007 :  16:43:11  Show Profile  Visit Mazrim_Taim's Homepage Send Mazrim_Taim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think Archons have a Divine Rank. So I am not sure if it's entirely possible for them to grant spells.

And if the PCs DO win their ways through all the liches to Larloch, “he” will almost certainly be just another lich (loaded with explosive spells) set up as a decoy, with dozens of hidden liches waiting to pounce on any surviving PCs who ‘celebrate’ after they take Larloch down. As the REAL Larloch watches (magical scrying) from afar. Myself, as DM, I’d be wondering: “Such a glorious game, so many opportunities laid out before your PCs to devote your time to, and THIS fixation is the best you can come up with? Are you SURE you’re adventurers?” -Ed Greenwood
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2007 :  16:48:51  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just because the gods grant the spells, that doesn't mean that a given follower knows the source of the spells. For example, no matter where the divine magic comes from for worshipers of fiends, the worshiper is venerating the fiend that is the patron of the cult. On top of that, someone that worships a fallen or replaced god, such as a worshiper of Ilbrandul gaining spells from Shar, even though they are worshiping Ilbrandul.

Long story short, if your character worships or venerates a celestial paragon, it doesn't matter the source of the divine energy powering his spells, at least not to the worshiper in question.
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2007 :  08:36:57  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, Celestial Paragons can grant spells to clerics who have chosen them as a patron, however the player must take the exalted feat "Servant of the Heavens" in order to be able to do so.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000