Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 Magic Item Compendium
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2007 :  05:06:45  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm looking forward to this product. Anyone else?

If it's like Spell Compendium, I have a feeling that this purchase will be one that is totally worth every penny...

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2007 :  10:31:25  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I still haven't switched editions (and never will), but the old four volume set of magical items from 2ed. is still among my favorite products. If this new set comes anywhere near these in usefulness many people will be very happy indeed.
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2007 :  11:15:55  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

Well I still haven't switched editions (and never will), but the old four volume set of magical items from 2ed. is still among my favorite products. If this new set comes anywhere near these in usefulness many people will be very happy indeed.

That indeed was an impressive, and very helpful work! If there is one ever for sale on ebay, they sell for a kings ransom. A friend of mine has all for and I drop by every now and than to 'get inspired'!

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2007 :  19:30:59  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think people will be really happy with this one (and unlike the other books I've recommended, I can back this up because I wrote a big chunk of the new items.)

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2007 :  21:50:26  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I might actually be tempted by this one.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2007 :  00:24:22  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll definitely be getting this one. I've enjoyed the Spell Compendium, and think this one will be just as good.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2007 :  00:30:30  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The renaming of all the FR spells really put me off the Spell compendium

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2007 :  01:05:04  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

The renaming of all the FR spells really put me off the Spell compendium

Me too. But from what I can tell, the Magic Item Compendium isn't going to be drawing on FR items and will have hundreds of new ones.

Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2007 :  16:57:40  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just renamed them right back.

Eytan, do you know (and can you tell us!) if there is going to be a separate section for new FR items in this book?
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2007 :  22:14:04  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do know (I have access to the book), but can't tell you what will be in it. I can say that you will be seeing a fair number of previews in the coming weeks.

Edited by - EytanBernstein on 28 Jan 2007 22:14:28
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2007 :  23:33:28  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by EytanBernstein

I do know (I have access to the book), but can't tell you what will be in it. I can say that you will be seeing a fair number of previews in the coming weeks.

I should hope so too given it's supposed to ship in March.

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2007 :  23:45:29  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Will MIC have treasure generation tables like DMG?

How much of the repeated material is from the DMG?

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2007 :  10:35:28  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry, I can't really comment more.

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2007 :  04:52:07  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Saw the "runestaff" on the WOTC site preview . . . I like them, its a cool idea. I get the feeling I'll like this book, but I'm still interested in seeing more of it (and I really hope there aren't any renamed FR items . . . it took me forever to rewrite all of the renamed names in my Spell Compendium).
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2007 :  08:35:26  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
3 MIC article up at wizards including art gallery, designers interview and excerpts

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/welcome

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2007 :  23:32:00  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to say I'm quite looking forward to this one now, I'll definitely be having a good look at it when I get chance to get to my FLGS.

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2007 :  12:25:48  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Saw the "runestaff" on the WOTC site preview . . . I like them, its a cool idea. I get the feeling I'll like this book, but I'm still interested in seeing more of it (and I really hope there aren't any renamed FR items . . . it took me forever to rewrite all of the renamed names in my Spell Compendium).

Going through the art gallery, I've so far found Moonstone Mask, Troll Gut Rope, and Ankh of Ascension with their original names.

Oh, and are "Rock Boots" made of blue suede d'you think?

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2007 :  12:42:19  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah ah ah! don't tell that to a dwarf, as this could seriously reduce your sales!
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2007 :  13:50:09  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In addition to what's already been mentioned, the Amber Amulet of Vermin, Armband of Maximized Healing, Badge of the Svirfneblin, Bag of Boulders, Belt of Priestly Might, Blast Globes, Cloak of Battle, Cloak of Quills, Dove's Harp, Dragon's Draught, Enemy Spirit Pouch, Fanged Mask, Headband of the Lorebinder, Helm of Gazes, Mithral Bells, Moonstone Mask, Necklace of Copper Dragon Scales, Phoenix Helm, Ring of Nine Lives, Ring of Spell-Battle, Rod of Viscid Globs, Salve of Minor Spell Resistance, Skull Plaque, Spider Rod, and Unicorn Pendant all seem to have kept their original names.

Amulet of Laeral's Tears became Amulet of Tears. The Hair shirt of Ilmater became the Hair Shirt of Suffering. Neclace of Acid Pearls and Necklace of Lightning seem to have been changed to Strand of Acid Pearls and Strand of Lightning.

This is just a cursory list. I'm sure there are tons more items in the book from FR sources. I only looked through Magic of Faerun.

I had no involvement with what old items got included and what names they received.

Edited by - EytanBernstein on 11 Mar 2007 13:56:05
Go to Top of Page

Sanishiver
Senior Scribe

USA
476 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2007 :  22:48:35  Show Profile  Visit Sanishiver's Homepage Send Sanishiver a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

I'm looking forward to this product. Anyone else?

If it's like Spell Compendium, I have a feeling that this purchase will be one that is totally worth every penny...

Heck yes I'm stoked for this book!

I've already mentioned it to my players and got quite a lot of eager looks in response when I talked about teh individual items that compliment each other because they are part of a greater set.

This is an obvious plus from a lore/play standpoint because such sets can be the legacy of a creator and can let DM's easily built plot points and adventure hooks around them.

License for me to be creative, and all that.

Thanks Eytan for sharing!

09/20/2008: Tiger Army at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz. You wouldn’t believe how many females rode it out in the pit. Santa Cruz women are all of them beautiful. Now I know to add tough to that description.
6/27/2008: WALL-E is about the best damn movie Pixar has ever made. It had my heart racing and had me rooting for the good guy.
9/9/2006: Dave Mathews Band was off the hook at the Shoreline Amphitheater.

Never, ever read the game books too literally, or make such assumptions that what is omitted cannot be. Bad DM form, that.

And no matter how compelling a picture string theory paints, if it does not accurately describe our universe, it will be no more relevant than an elaborate game of Dungeons and Dragons. --paragraph 1, chapter 9, The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2007 :  23:20:02  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

In addition to what's already been mentioned, the Amber Amulet of Vermin, Armband of Maximized Healing, Badge of the Svirfneblin, Bag of Boulders, Belt of Priestly Might, Blast Globes, Cloak of Battle, Cloak of Quills, Dove's Harp, Dragon's Draught, Enemy Spirit Pouch, Fanged Mask, Headband of the Lorebinder, Helm of Gazes, Mithral Bells, Moonstone Mask, Necklace of Copper Dragon Scales, Phoenix Helm, Ring of Nine Lives, Ring of Spell-Battle, Rod of Viscid Globs, Salve of Minor Spell Resistance, Skull Plaque, Spider Rod, and Unicorn Pendant all seem to have kept their original names.

Amulet of Laeral's Tears became Amulet of Tears. The Hair shirt of Ilmater became the Hair Shirt of Suffering. Neclace of Acid Pearls and Necklace of Lightning seem to have been changed to Strand of Acid Pearls and Strand of Lightning.

This is just a cursory list. I'm sure there are tons more items in the book from FR sources. I only looked through Magic of Faerun.

I had no involvement with what old items got included and what names they received.

We'll Im glad you told me that, I was going to buy MIC but now Im going to give it a miss. The renaming of realms material was one of the things I hated about spell compendium

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

l33td0ggy
Acolyte

25 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2007 :  03:28:12  Show Profile  Visit l33td0ggy's Homepage Send l33td0ggy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

We'll Im glad you told me that, I was going to buy MIC but now Im going to give it a miss. The renaming of realms material was one of the things I hated about spell compendium

i cant see passing up on a book jsut because they renamed some stuff. all the mateiral is the same... just the name is diffrent.

i have no sig.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2007 :  03:42:55  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It ticks me off a bit, because I don't know why presenting something for "general" D&D a Realms item needs to be expunged of its FR name, as if we don't want Khelben, Laeral, Elminster and the others to get as much name recognition as Otto, Bigby, Tenser, and Mordenkainen. At any rate, its not enough for me to not buy the book, but its a thought process that I don't really understand.
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2007 :  09:38:59  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't skip it on that account. If anything, I think the list I gave you shows that they kept the significant majority of names and only changes a few. (Like changing necklace to strands for instance). And don't forget, there are a massive number of new items as well, a lot of which are really good. I don't know what the rationale is for changing some and not others, but I think they are trying to make the items as useful to as many people as possible. For Eberron players, items with Realms names might be a turn off. You guys probably wouldn't want to use a kalashtar knife, warforged gauntlet, or something similar. If they made them useful to other settings without keeping the Eberron flavor, you might check them out.

Edited by - EytanBernstein on 12 Mar 2007 09:42:01
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2007 :  16:06:02  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It won't decide me to buy or not buy this book, but what's objectionable about the deRealmsifying of names is that it makes the items less interesting and obscures their heritage -- this in an industry where creators are poorly credited -- not for the sake of making them more broadly useable but to appease a foolish minority needlessly put off by setting detail.

It's not fair to assume we're all chauvinists about Eberron either; the 'flavor' is exactly what all magic items have going for them, and if I'm going to use an Eberron-originating item in a Realms campaign I want to know what it is and change it informedly, not work from a blanded-out reduction of it that has less likelihood to appeal to anyone in the first place.

Edited by - Faraer on 12 Mar 2007 16:19:21
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2007 :  18:02:27  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, it's not as if, say, the magic spells that featured the names of Greyhawk wizards ever bothered me or "threw me off".

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2007 :  18:42:04  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oddly enough, since I posted above hoping that the names wouldn't change, I wanted to chime in and say that, I think I may (sadly) see where some of this might come from. I can's speak for the entire D&D playing audience, but I have noticed that people these days, even on more civil boards like the DragonLance Forums and Paizo, are very "pro" their own setting and "anti" anyone elses. It doesn't bother many of us here, but perhaps WOTC has some information that might indicate that the "average" dedicated Eberron fan, for example, is very negative about anything FR, and vice versa.

Just throwing that out there.
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2007 :  20:20:16  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am not suggesting anyone here is acting chauvinistically. Rather, as KnightErrantJR pointed out, the average fan is likely to be more receptive to items with setting neutral names. I know numerous gamers who feel this way, unwilling to touch either Realms or Eberron mechanics (whether spells, feats, PrCs, or items) with a 10 foot pole. For these people, the compendium is a great place to get a larger variety of items they wouldn't have heard of, but with the legitimacy of a core product.

Actually, this whole discussion gives me a good idea for a web enhancement. Perhaps a list of the items from different books and what their names were changed to/from would be helpful.

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2007 :  20:53:09  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And alternate names with mini-backgrounds for different settings?

I hope you're wrong about what seems to me a minority being the average fan.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2007 :  20:58:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Actually, this whole discussion gives me a good idea for a web enhancement. Perhaps a list of the items from different books and what their names were changed to/from would be helpful.

I, for one, would heartily welcome this.

Didn't they do the same for the Spell Compendium?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2007 :  21:35:22  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
I, for one, would heartily welcome this.

Didn't they do the same for the Spell Compendium?

Yep. I can see the logic in renaming items to be generic (even if it makes me a little sad, with the whole 'setting vs setting' thing that seems to be sweeping the D20 settings) A list of the renamed items with original names would be fantastic, as they had right at the start of the Spell Compendium.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000