Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 Magic Item Compendium

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Purple Dragon Knight Posted - 27 Jan 2007 : 05:06:45
I'm looking forward to this product. Anyone else?

If it's like Spell Compendium, I have a feeling that this purchase will be one that is totally worth every penny...
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Purple Dragon Knight Posted - 15 Mar 2007 : 01:37:41
Got the Magic Item Compendium last night!!

So far it's a DM's dream! and a player's orgasm!
EytanBernstein Posted - 13 Mar 2007 : 09:42:49
Just a note of caution: let's not assume or go saying that such an enhancement will happen until (and if) there is approval for it.
Archwizard Posted - 13 Mar 2007 : 02:37:50
I guess they want these compendiums to be really generic. A conversion chart of spell/item names from the compendium to the respective settings would make a good web enhancement. Similar threads come every now and then.

What would be really impressive is if the chart listed setting specific names for each and every spell. I question like that came up on the WotC FR boards recently.
KnightErrantJR Posted - 13 Mar 2007 : 02:05:28
quote:
Originally posted by Archwizard

quote:
Originally posted by EytanBernstein

Actually, this whole discussion gives me a good idea for a web enhancement. Perhaps a list of the items from different books and what their names were changed to/from would be helpful.

That's a good idea, a good compromise and bridge between setting sources and the genericness of core publications.

On a side note, didn't they start taking the Greyhawk names out of the spells in the Spell Compendium?

Yes, pretty much all of the names, Eberron, FR, and Greyhawk, were "neutered" in the Spell Compendium.
Archwizard Posted - 13 Mar 2007 : 00:51:19
quote:

Actually, this whole discussion gives me a good idea for a web enhancement. Perhaps a list of the items from different books and what their names were changed to/from would be helpful.

That's a good idea, a good compromise and bridge between setting sources and the genericness of core publications.

On a side note, didn't they start taking the Greyhawk names out of the spells in the Spell Compendium?
Purple Dragon Knight Posted - 13 Mar 2007 : 00:42:57
quote:

Yesssssssssssssssss!!! Go for it Eytan! I second the motion!
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 13 Mar 2007 : 00:08:50
quote:
Originally posted by Reefy

A list of renamed items would make a lot of sense.
Also, for the uninitiated, seeing Elminster's Evasion, for example, might make me wonder who the heck this Elminster guy is and do a little digging to see what I might find out about him. I remember several years back when I knew even less than I did now wondering who Tenser, Mordenkainen etc. were and looking them up.

I agree! I was pleasantly surprised when I found out that a lot of famous spells originated on Greyhawk--I loved the whole idea of magic spreading to different worlds.
Reefy Posted - 12 Mar 2007 : 21:51:51
A list of renamed items would make a lot of sense.
Also, for the uninitiated, seeing Elminster's Evasion, for example, might make me wonder who the heck this Elminster guy is and do a little digging to see what I might find out about him. I remember several years back when I knew even less than I did now wondering who Tenser, Mordenkainen etc. were and looking them up.
And as Faraer says, it's much more useful to have a knowledge of the background of an item so you can try and convert it to a different setting more accurately.
Uzzy Posted - 12 Mar 2007 : 21:35:22
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
I, for one, would heartily welcome this.

Didn't they do the same for the Spell Compendium?

Yep. I can see the logic in renaming items to be generic (even if it makes me a little sad, with the whole 'setting vs setting' thing that seems to be sweeping the D20 settings) A list of the renamed items with original names would be fantastic, as they had right at the start of the Spell Compendium.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 12 Mar 2007 : 20:58:40
quote:

I, for one, would heartily welcome this.

Didn't they do the same for the Spell Compendium?
Faraer Posted - 12 Mar 2007 : 20:53:09
And alternate names with mini-backgrounds for different settings?

I hope you're wrong about what seems to me a minority being the average fan.
EytanBernstein Posted - 12 Mar 2007 : 20:20:16
I am not suggesting anyone here is acting chauvinistically. Rather, as KnightErrantJR pointed out, the average fan is likely to be more receptive to items with setting neutral names. I know numerous gamers who feel this way, unwilling to touch either Realms or Eberron mechanics (whether spells, feats, PrCs, or items) with a 10 foot pole. For these people, the compendium is a great place to get a larger variety of items they wouldn't have heard of, but with the legitimacy of a core product.

KnightErrantJR Posted - 12 Mar 2007 : 18:42:04
Oddly enough, since I posted above hoping that the names wouldn't change, I wanted to chime in and say that, I think I may (sadly) see where some of this might come from. I can's speak for the entire D&D playing audience, but I have noticed that people these days, even on more civil boards like the DragonLance Forums and Paizo, are very "pro" their own setting and "anti" anyone elses. It doesn't bother many of us here, but perhaps WOTC has some information that might indicate that the "average" dedicated Eberron fan, for example, is very negative about anything FR, and vice versa.

Just throwing that out there.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 12 Mar 2007 : 18:02:27
Yeah, it's not as if, say, the magic spells that featured the names of Greyhawk wizards ever bothered me or "threw me off".
Faraer Posted - 12 Mar 2007 : 16:06:02
It won't decide me to buy or not buy this book, but what's objectionable about the deRealmsifying of names is that it makes the items less interesting and obscures their heritage -- this in an industry where creators are poorly credited -- not for the sake of making them more broadly useable but to appease a foolish minority needlessly put off by setting detail.

It's not fair to assume we're all chauvinists about Eberron either; the 'flavor' is exactly what all magic items have going for them, and if I'm going to use an Eberron-originating item in a Realms campaign I want to know what it is and change it informedly, not work from a blanded-out reduction of it that has less likelihood to appeal to anyone in the first place.
EytanBernstein Posted - 12 Mar 2007 : 09:38:59
I wouldn't skip it on that account. If anything, I think the list I gave you shows that they kept the significant majority of names and only changes a few. (Like changing necklace to strands for instance). And don't forget, there are a massive number of new items as well, a lot of which are really good. I don't know what the rationale is for changing some and not others, but I think they are trying to make the items as useful to as many people as possible. For Eberron players, items with Realms names might be a turn off. You guys probably wouldn't want to use a kalashtar knife, warforged gauntlet, or something similar. If they made them useful to other settings without keeping the Eberron flavor, you might check them out.
KnightErrantJR Posted - 12 Mar 2007 : 03:42:55
It ticks me off a bit, because I don't know why presenting something for "general" D&D a Realms item needs to be expunged of its FR name, as if we don't want Khelben, Laeral, Elminster and the others to get as much name recognition as Otto, Bigby, Tenser, and Mordenkainen. At any rate, its not enough for me to not buy the book, but its a thought process that I don't really understand.
l33td0ggy Posted - 12 Mar 2007 : 03:28:12
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

We'll Im glad you told me that, I was going to buy MIC but now Im going to give it a miss. The renaming of realms material was one of the things I hated about spell compendium

i cant see passing up on a book jsut because they renamed some stuff. all the mateiral is the same... just the name is diffrent.
Dargoth Posted - 11 Mar 2007 : 23:20:02
quote:

In addition to what's already been mentioned, the Amber Amulet of Vermin, Armband of Maximized Healing, Badge of the Svirfneblin, Bag of Boulders, Belt of Priestly Might, Blast Globes, Cloak of Battle, Cloak of Quills, Dove's Harp, Dragon's Draught, Enemy Spirit Pouch, Fanged Mask, Headband of the Lorebinder, Helm of Gazes, Mithral Bells, Moonstone Mask, Necklace of Copper Dragon Scales, Phoenix Helm, Ring of Nine Lives, Ring of Spell-Battle, Rod of Viscid Globs, Salve of Minor Spell Resistance, Skull Plaque, Spider Rod, and Unicorn Pendant all seem to have kept their original names.

Amulet of Laeral's Tears became Amulet of Tears. The Hair shirt of Ilmater became the Hair Shirt of Suffering. Neclace of Acid Pearls and Necklace of Lightning seem to have been changed to Strand of Acid Pearls and Strand of Lightning.

This is just a cursory list. I'm sure there are tons more items in the book from FR sources. I only looked through Magic of Faerun.

I had no involvement with what old items got included and what names they received.

We'll Im glad you told me that, I was going to buy MIC but now Im going to give it a miss. The renaming of realms material was one of the things I hated about spell compendium

Sanishiver Posted - 11 Mar 2007 : 22:48:35
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

I'm looking forward to this product. Anyone else?

If it's like Spell Compendium, I have a feeling that this purchase will be one that is totally worth every penny...

Heck yes I'm stoked for this book!

I've already mentioned it to my players and got quite a lot of eager looks in response when I talked about teh individual items that compliment each other because they are part of a greater set.

This is an obvious plus from a lore/play standpoint because such sets can be the legacy of a creator and can let DM's easily built plot points and adventure hooks around them.

License for me to be creative, and all that.

Thanks Eytan for sharing!

EytanBernstein Posted - 11 Mar 2007 : 13:50:09
In addition to what's already been mentioned, the Amber Amulet of Vermin, Armband of Maximized Healing, Badge of the Svirfneblin, Bag of Boulders, Belt of Priestly Might, Blast Globes, Cloak of Battle, Cloak of Quills, Dove's Harp, Dragon's Draught, Enemy Spirit Pouch, Fanged Mask, Headband of the Lorebinder, Helm of Gazes, Mithral Bells, Moonstone Mask, Necklace of Copper Dragon Scales, Phoenix Helm, Ring of Nine Lives, Ring of Spell-Battle, Rod of Viscid Globs, Salve of Minor Spell Resistance, Skull Plaque, Spider Rod, and Unicorn Pendant all seem to have kept their original names.

Amulet of Laeral's Tears became Amulet of Tears. The Hair shirt of Ilmater became the Hair Shirt of Suffering. Neclace of Acid Pearls and Necklace of Lightning seem to have been changed to Strand of Acid Pearls and Strand of Lightning.

This is just a cursory list. I'm sure there are tons more items in the book from FR sources. I only looked through Magic of Faerun.

I had no involvement with what old items got included and what names they received.

Purple Dragon Knight Posted - 11 Mar 2007 : 12:42:19
Ah ah ah! don't tell that to a dwarf, as this could seriously reduce your sales!
Kajehase Posted - 11 Mar 2007 : 12:25:48
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Saw the "runestaff" on the WOTC site preview . . . I like them, its a cool idea. I get the feeling I'll like this book, but I'm still interested in seeing more of it (and I really hope there aren't any renamed FR items . . . it took me forever to rewrite all of the renamed names in my Spell Compendium).

Going through the art gallery, I've so far found Moonstone Mask, Troll Gut Rope, and Ankh of Ascension with their original names.

Oh, and are "Rock Boots" made of blue suede d'you think?
Reefy Posted - 10 Mar 2007 : 23:32:00
I have to say I'm quite looking forward to this one now, I'll definitely be having a good look at it when I get chance to get to my FLGS.
Dargoth Posted - 10 Mar 2007 : 08:35:26
3 MIC article up at wizards including art gallery, designers interview and excerpts

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/welcome
KnightErrantJR Posted - 17 Feb 2007 : 04:52:07
Saw the "runestaff" on the WOTC site preview . . . I like them, its a cool idea. I get the feeling I'll like this book, but I'm still interested in seeing more of it (and I really hope there aren't any renamed FR items . . . it took me forever to rewrite all of the renamed names in my Spell Compendium).
EytanBernstein Posted - 29 Jan 2007 : 10:35:28
Sorry, I can't really comment more.
Dargoth Posted - 28 Jan 2007 : 23:45:29
Will MIC have treasure generation tables like DMG?

How much of the repeated material is from the DMG?
Reefy Posted - 28 Jan 2007 : 23:33:28
quote:

I do know (I have access to the book), but can't tell you what will be in it. I can say that you will be seeing a fair number of previews in the coming weeks.

I should hope so too given it's supposed to ship in March.
EytanBernstein Posted - 28 Jan 2007 : 22:14:04
I do know (I have access to the book), but can't tell you what will be in it. I can say that you will be seeing a fair number of previews in the coming weeks.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000