Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Adventuring
 The Jeweled Edge Journal
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
573 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2007 :  22:20:34  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Session 20: The Party
Campaign: Mysteries of the Moonsea
4/20/07 Start Time: @ 8:00 pm
Module: Fade to Black, part 4
Nightal 27- Shieldmeet, 1372 The Year of Wild Magic

- The Jeweled Edge scrambles to put together their advertised but not yet prepared city wide bash.
- Angorn the Black sees to acquiring alcohol for the bash including ten casks of Blackfeather's Beer, 30 casks of other assorted lagers and ales, and twenty - forty gallons of single malt whisky. The Guild of Brewers gives a price break and is billed as a sponsor of the event.
- Danirri and Davram pay a visit to the Lord of Keys to hire off-duty guards for security and gain a municipal sanction for the event. 50 men of the Lord's choosing are assigned to the "duty" for the equivilent of a week's pay. They do not recieve a municipal sanction, but the proper bribe gets them a military sanction.
- Esvelle continues to prepare with the band for her magnum opus
- Bartolous plies his influence at the Magic Mushroom to obtain magical confections for the noble section of the party.
- Elsanoth largely spends this day sleeping, recovering from his night time adventures
- Three to Five thousand people turn out for the party filling the central market. They are entertained by performers on three satellite stages and are plied with free booze and food. The clergy of the Laughing Halls has decorated the market place magnificently and serve as Go-Go dancers on the second floor of the Crow's Nest.
- The Iron Council of Melvaunt meets in secret prior to the party and arrives late.
- The Scions of Melvaunt arrive at the Crow's Nest in uniforms and bearing coats of arms. They are surprised that they are allowed to attend and do not know what to make of the heraldry or the clothes.
- Esvelle makes her performance with the accompaniment of a band and the spectacle of what amounts to a laser light show put on by the combined magical talents of the Jeweled Edge and the Scions of Melvaunt. In game terms, once circumstancial modifiers are included, her perfomance check exceeds 100, leaving the audience insanely happy and wanting more.
- The Iron Council makes an impromptu announcement from the fourth floor of the Crow's Nest. Peuter Marsk has been chosen to succeed the late Dundeld Nanther Lord Envoy of Melvaunt. Additionally a new seat has been added to the Council, Master of Trade, which will be occupied by Woarsten Nanther. Oreal Nanther of the Scions of Melvaunt will ascend to the house seat of House Nanther replacing his father Woarsten.
- Additionally, the council has voted to create an exception to the traditional patrician system and allow the city, itself, to become the patron of the Jeweled Edge AND the Scions of Melvaunt. Pursuant to this sponsorship, both parties are Knighted to embody their now unique position in the city. Melvaunt has not previously had a beknighted class.
- Danirri and Bartolous consumate their relationship for the first time at Bartolous' hold outside of the city.
- Davram and Angorn celebrate their accolades with a crowd of very enthusiastic (and intoxicated) young maidens of Melvaunt
- For once, Elsanoth refrains from sexual indulgence and actually begins a formal courtship of Kara Calaudra of the Scions of Melvaunt.
- Esvelle finds a night's comfort in a young man's arms.
- Two Nights Later... Shieldmeet
- The Jeweled Edge (sans Elsanoth who left for the Shieldmeet celebrations of his home) dines at Leigyerion (sp?) Manor.
- Treachery discovered too late! The middle son of House L who had not yet gone to his new (and deadly) duties as envoy to Mulmaster provides some final surprises!
- He proves to be an the employer of Corwyn Jaffe, The Wolf's Heart, and an ally of the Red Wizards of Thay!
- He haughtilly reveals his alliances and his plans as the Jeweled Edge quickly calcify making the painful transformation from FLESH to STONE!
- The Wolf's Heart begins shattering the statues of the Jeweled Edge with mallets and voice their intentions to spread their pebbles across the Moonsea in Spring!

WHAT'S NEXT? TUNE IN NEXT WEEK!

*** A Forgotten Realms Addict since 1990 ***
Treasures of the Past, a Second Edition Play-by-Post game for and by Candlekeep Sages--http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=52011

Edited by - WalkerNinja on 23 Apr 2007 22:21:37
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2007 :  02:59:40  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WalkerNinja

I am still rather new to 3.5. How does one get a 100+ performance check?
Go to Top of Page

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
573 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2007 :  13:21:07  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message  Reply with Quote
roll d20 + skill ranks + relevant ability modifier + any modifiers that you have for feat selection + modifiers for enhancing magic + any circumstancial modifiers + other.

Off hand I know that Esvelle had +4 from the Artist Feat, +7 from a magically enhanced charisma, additionally she and her band had practiced virtually non-stop (16 hour days) for the previous four days to wit I added a +1 for each hour that they practiced it, they were using masterwork instruments (an additional +2) as well as masterwork sheet music (+2), the band is her accompaniment, so basically each of them is using the Aid Another Action granting her a net +10, the laser light show gave her +6 circumstance, and the crowd was well liquored and had just seen the end of a three month period of mourning, a modifier worth an additional +6.

Treasures of the Past, a Second Edition Play-by-Post game for and by Candlekeep Sages--http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=52011
Go to Top of Page

dwarvenranger
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2007 :  15:02:08  Show Profile  Visit dwarvenranger's Homepage Send dwarvenranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hope you expect Angorn to be completely cracked after this little episode. And I don't mean just physically.

If I waited till I knew what I was doing, I'd never get anything done.

Go to Top of Page

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
573 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2007 :  15:13:52  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message  Reply with Quote
really I was rather surprised by the utterly blank expressions and reactions of the players. As a DM I find it satisfactory, clearly I got some surprise in on you guys. On the other hand, I somewhat expected Angorn to unleash a steady stream of obscenity, Davram to try something foolish, Esvelle to weep, and Danirri and Bartolous to hold hands and shut their eyes (because these two knew it was coming... did I just let a cat out of the bag...).

On the other hand, I've moderated my plans a little bit, basically because Elsanoth wasn't around to get petrified. You guys will be coming out of it sooner than I originally planned and should have a year or so to recover yourselves.

Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2007 :  15:18:48  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WalkerNinja,

I must admit you have me hooked. I am really enjoying reading your well put together session notes. Can we get an idea of levels of the party members as they go?

Thanks

Edited by - AlorinDawn on 26 Apr 2007 15:31:37
Go to Top of Page

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
573 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2007 :  17:00:49  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The party is about sixth level now (they all have varying totals, but I believe that they are all about 6th). The party is probably equivalent to a 7th or 8th level party though because they have higher than normal stats (by design) and I've tossed some free feats at them now and again. Not good ones, by the way, stuff like Spell Thematics, Spell Girding, Fearless. Not something that you'd normally take on your way to a prestige class, but something interesting that you don't see too often.

Bartolous, for instance, got Spell Thematics and went with an "Eye" theme which ties into his deity (Savras) and his familiar (Beholderkin, Eyeball). Elsanoth got Fearless basically to illustrate that his emotions don't hold sway over him. He's a gambler, but he knows the odds and seldom goes with just his gut. I won't tell you what Esvelle's been getting (that's a gooood secret). For Angorn, I gave him Tireless because he's sort of the party's rock, eternally dependable, indefatiguable. I also said that Tireless supercedes Endurance for the purposes of qualifying for other feats or prestige classes.

I thank you for your compliment concerning my notes. I still, however, look at them as woefully inadequate. Really, you're only ever hearing a half (maybe even a quarter of the story). Some of the things that don't make it into the notes:

1) the nature of the Liiran ceremony that the Jeweled Edge participated in and how it made some members a lot closer than anyone would expect.

2) Elsanoth worming his way into the skirts of just about any lady who is amenable

3) Davram's perfect portrayal of a small town boy raised in an inn, and the frequency with which he puts his foot in his mouth in front of JUST the wrong people

4) The ever present assumption by NPC's that Bartolous (or Davram) is the leader of the group

5) Bartolous' utter aversion to bloodshed, and his refusal to burn anyone else with a spell after his encounter in the Devil's Fire Tavern

6) Angorn continuously using idiomatic dwarven speech (not just a scottish accent, but actual specialized faerunian vocabulary)

7) Just how shy Esvelle really is

8) The astonishment at being attacked by an animated Lazy Susan

9) Just how dangerous (and humorous) a Calzone Golem really is

10) How everyone complains about their Company Uniforms (given by Lord Nanther), but how they all keep wearing them at appropriate times.

11) How no matter how hard he tries, Bartolous can't pronounce Lord Dornig Leiygheron's name (he inevitably calls him "Lord Leg-a-tron."

On top of that, there's all kinds of secrets that not all of the party even really knows about.

1) What is it that Esvelle and Ulblyn Blackalbuck keep talking about?

2) Why was Elsanoth in Phlan in the first place?

3) Where does Esvelle really come from, and why does she keep manifesting magical powers?

4) Why does Elsanoth act like Bruce Wayne one minute and a Nihlistic Batman the next?

5) Why does Davram continue waiting on the docks awaiting the return of the Bitch Queen's Fury?

6) How did Elsanoth settle matters with Lord L?

7) What did Danirri and Bartolous REALLY learn in their secret divination session?

And believe me, that's just a few. If the story is still coming across well in the absence of all this, its a blessing. And maybe (just maybe) the players feel a little special because everyone is enjoying their story, but no one else really KNOWS their story.

Edited by - WalkerNinja on 26 Apr 2007 17:25:10
Go to Top of Page

dwarvenranger
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2007 :  18:58:42  Show Profile  Visit dwarvenranger's Homepage Send dwarvenranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by WalkerNinja

Some of the things that don't make it into the notes:

1) the nature of the Liiran ceremony that the Jeweled Edge participated in and how it made some members a lot closer than anyone would expect.

Hey now, it's not Angorn's fault you can't tell the difference between a male and female elf from behind

If I waited till I knew what I was doing, I'd never get anything done.

Go to Top of Page

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
573 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2007 :  15:14:08  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Session 21: The End

In life, there are detours; in D&D there are side adventures.

This one turned out to be a very long detour, one not easilly overcome. I won't take the time to relate what occurred in this note (in the scheme of things, it doesn't really matter). What does matter is that Angorn and Elsanoth died at the hands of Zhentarim agents, after being critically wounded on a pointless treasure hunt.

I hate that. I didn't want to let it happen. Their deaths weren't meaningful to the story, nor were they caused by a supreme villain who sits at the heart of the campaign. Its not a stretch to say that their deaths were meaningless. Angorn and Elsanoth's players were much more accepting of the event than I was.

In the end, the survivors had to ask themselves some questions: Why are we doing this when death can come upon us at any moment from a dinner party to a walk down the road? Esvelle just wanted to go home. Nag Hommorrah had been slain allready; veangance complete. Bartolous saw a growing darkness in himself that he couldn't allow. He just wanted to go home where everything is simple. A place where people don't get turned into stone. A place where you don't have to burn men alive.

What I'm saying, is that five of the seven of us voted to retire our PC's. The only two that didn't vote were the ones that weren't there. There were a few reasons:

1) These folks never chose to adventure, they had been runnning away. What they had been running away from is gone now. Why should they continue?
2) Apparently being turned to stone for six months is a lot more mentally and emotionally traumatizing to you all than I originally thought. All of the characters present last night seemed a little emotionally disturbed.
3) These characters were designed to go through a set of adventures that you all would not be going through. They were not particularly suited to the ones that you were starting.
4) Two of your six would be two levels lower than everyone else.
5) A new character is a new opportunity.

Edited by - WalkerNinja on 28 Apr 2007 15:14:39
Go to Top of Page

Jimbobx
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
109 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2007 :  15:14:40  Show Profile Send Jimbobx a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great campaign notes...wonderfully fleshed out characters.

Rilyetan's Retreat

Jimbob's Waterdeep Journal
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000