Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Adventuring
 Truenames
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Aglaranna
Learned Scribe

166 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2006 :  16:46:22  Show Profile  Visit Aglaranna's Homepage Send Aglaranna a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well, my usual philosophy is "Observe until you figure it out", but I got impatient. Hee hee. So, where'd the idea for truename come about, and what's it for? How do you know what your truenameis? And no...I'm not telling you mine!

"You can choose a ready guide
In some celestial voice
If you choose not to decide
You still have made a choice

You can choose from phantom fears
And kindness that can kill
I will choose the path that's clear
I will choose freewill." -'Freewill' by Rush

Aureus
Learned Scribe

Luxembourg
125 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2006 :  16:48:20  Show Profile Send Aureus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
first name or entire name?

That is not the weirdest thing that happened to me
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2006 :  17:16:34  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pagan myths of Earth, basically. A lot of the old religions had/have the concept of true names. Big surprise there since D&D draws on a huge amount of pagan lore. Christian myth has some references to Gods true name as well. Alchemists and other early scientists/magicians used true names for different materials, beings, etc. Plus many different fantasy novels have used the concept.

As for how to figure it out.... I don't think there's a set way. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Aglaranna
Learned Scribe

166 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2006 :  17:22:38  Show Profile  Visit Aglaranna's Homepage Send Aglaranna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aureus

Like in the Avatar Trilogy; Midnight's truename was Ariel Manx. Cyric overheard this and intended to controll her by it.
But Kuje, I'm still confused! How is that supposed to work? I'm trying hard not to break down in hysterics here!

In some celestial voice

Edited by - Aglaranna on 29 Dec 2006 17:23:08
Go to Top of Page

Delzounblood
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
578 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2006 :  17:24:59  Show Profile Send Delzounblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aglaranna

quote:

Like in the Avatar Trilogy; Midnight's truename was Ariel Manx. Cyric overheard this and intended to controll her by it.
But Kuje, I'm still confused! How is that supposed to work? I'm trying hard not to break down in hysterics here!

Isn't your true name a name given to your soul by your god? or something.

I always thought it refered to your soul or spirit.

Delz

I'm Back!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2006 :  17:30:55  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I don't think any of us can give you a straight answer. Like was said above, true names are sometimes your spirit/soul, but it could also just be how you are named... Most modern pagans and or Wiccans also choose a magical name for themselves, which is basically the same concept of a true name, but there's no set system on how to do so. (And no, I'm not telling you mine. )

But most true name/magical name concepts from Earth is just like what was in the ToT novel. If you know the persons true name/magical name, you have power over them and can control them. A lot of creatures from Earth's myths had/have true names, which you needed to know to summon them. Which is why that is still carried over into D&D for the beings on the planes. Etc.

I'm really not that comfortable discussing the Earth version of true names/magical names on the boards, but you were only getting a few answers, so I jumped into this topic.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Edited by - Kuje on 29 Dec 2006 18:13:45
Go to Top of Page

Aureus
Learned Scribe

Luxembourg
125 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2006 :  18:00:31  Show Profile Send Aureus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, now I get it
Drizzt was able to summon Errtu (is the spelling right?) because he knew the demon true name, dispite the fact that he can't cast any spells, only his drow spell-like abilities (sorry if I spoiled)

often the name describs what the being is and/or how it behaves
for exemple my D&D char's name is Aureus because he has a heart of gold (of course not literally you greedy dwarfs:P), meaning that he is a nice guy (aureus is latin and means "golden" for those who didn't know, but that's just excuse to me i just like the sound of the word) and my char's pet is Imbellia which is latin for "unfit for war", the wolf is a free hunter, not a killing tool like a soldier (again that's just an excuse, I just liked the word, in fact I looked in a latin dictionarie for something I could use as a name and Imbellia had a nice ring, got it? ;))

Edited by - Aureus on 29 Dec 2006 18:18:35
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2006 :  18:15:59  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ah, now I get it
Drizzt was able to summon Errtu (is the spelling right?) because he knew the demon true name, dispite the fact that he can't cast any spells, only his drow spell-like abilities (sorry if I spoiled)

often the name describs what the being or how it behaves, for exemple my D&D char's name is Aureus because he has a heart of gold (of course not literally you greedy dwarfs:P), meaning that he is a nice guy (aureus is latin and means "golden" for those who didn't know, but that's just excuse to me i just like the sound of the word) and my char's pet is Imbellia which is latin for "unfit for war", the wolf is a free hunter, not a killing tool like a soldier (again that's just an excuse, I just liked the word, in fact I looked in a latin dictionarie for something I could use as a name and Imbellia had a nice ring, got it? ;))

Pretty much, yup. :)

Alchemists and the early magicians and pagans basically had/have true names for animals, plants, elements (not to be confused with the elements of science), beings on other planes, etc.

Go to Top of Page

Kes_Alanadel
Learned Scribe

USA
326 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2006 :  18:19:21  Show Profile  Visit Kes_Alanadel's Homepage Send Kes_Alanadel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought that there was a Dragon article about true names as well, but for the life of me, I can't find it on my bookshelf.......

Ack! I seem to have too much blood in my coffee stream!

When did 'common sense' cease to be common?
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2006 :  18:30:18  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kes_Alanadel

I thought that there was a Dragon article about true names as well, but for the life of me, I can't find it on my bookshelf.......

Denouncements: Truenames, "Power of Truenames, The", by Mark Jackman, issue 346, page (88), for 3e.

or

Fetishes: For characters with truenames, "Truenames and Fetishes: The Power and the Peril", by Philip M. Greeley, issue 317, page (42), for 3e.

or

Truenames, "Truenames and Fetishes: The Power and the Peril", Philip M. Greeley, issue 317, page (38), for 3e.

According to the Dragondex. :)

There's also the Tome of Magic 3.5e sourcebook that has a whole chapter of true name magic.

Edited by - Kuje on 29 Dec 2006 18:33:09
Go to Top of Page

Kes_Alanadel
Learned Scribe

USA
326 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2006 :  18:33:36  Show Profile  Visit Kes_Alanadel's Homepage Send Kes_Alanadel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*Grin* Thanks much Kuje. I thought I was losing what little mind I had left. The Truenames and Fetishes article was the one I was thinking of.

(Figures that I was posting the same time you were editing)

Ack! I seem to have too much blood in my coffee stream!

When did 'common sense' cease to be common?

Edited by - Kes_Alanadel on 29 Dec 2006 18:35:54
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2006 :  18:42:17  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

*Grin* Thanks much Kuje. I thought I was losing what little mind I had left. The Truenames and Fetishes article was the one I was thinking of.

(Figures that I was posting the same time you were editing)

Grin.

Well, we can't have you losing what little sanity you have left. :)

Go to Top of Page

Besshalar
Learned Scribe

Finland
166 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2006 :  19:07:00  Show Profile  Visit Besshalar's Homepage Send Besshalar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And for nonrealmsian take on truenames read the Earthsea novels by Ursula Leguin.

Edit: The first four books are definite recommended reading for any fantasybuff anyhow.

The large print giveth , and the small print taketh away.
-Tom Waits

Edited by - Besshalar on 29 Dec 2006 19:08:08
Go to Top of Page

Aglaranna
Learned Scribe

166 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2006 :  21:33:41  Show Profile  Visit Aglaranna's Homepage Send Aglaranna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why, thank you! Sorry about the hysterics...I'm a nervous wreck and now we all know it...But sometimes I wonder how certain things get thrown into the Realms. Ah, the curse of not being omniscent.

p.s. Are you sure I can't know your truename?

In some celestial voice

Go to Top of Page

Aureus
Learned Scribe

Luxembourg
125 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2006 :  21:50:01  Show Profile Send Aureus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
you can find them out simply by observing people ;)
the main character in Earthsea was pretty good at it if I remember correctly

tell me what I am

Go to Top of Page

Besshalar
Learned Scribe

Finland
166 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2006 :  22:24:39  Show Profile  Visit Besshalar's Homepage Send Besshalar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the Fr truenames need to be spied or cheated out of their owners but yes in Earthsea Sparrowhawk (Ged) was extremely good at making educated guesses on peoples truenames...

As an addendum to my previous post :Oh and do not I repeat DO NOT just watch the scifi channel produced load of hogwash.....

The large print giveth , and the small print taketh away.
-Tom Waits
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2006 :  00:55:36  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:

Denouncements: Truenames, "Power of Truenames, The", by Mark Jackman, issue 346, page (88), for 3e.

or

Fetishes: For characters with truenames, "Truenames and Fetishes: The Power and the Peril", by Philip M. Greeley, issue 317, page (42), for 3e.

or

Truenames, "Truenames and Fetishes: The Power and the Peril", Philip M. Greeley, issue 317, page (38), for 3e.

According to the Dragondex. :)

There's also the Tome of Magic 3.5e sourcebook that has a whole chapter of true name magic.

Also, Ed's thoughts on truenames:- http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Castle/2566/ed-truenames.htm

See Volo's Guide to All Things Magical and Seven Sisters also. The Book of Exalted Deeds also has a small section on truenames.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 30 Dec 2006 00:56:05
Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2006 :  14:04:05  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So, where'd the idea for truename come about

In addition to what Kuje said, ancient cities like Rome also had a sort of a true name, the real name of the city was kept secret by high priests (pontifex maximus). They believed that if their enemies would learn the name the consequences would be catastophic

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2007 :  20:57:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

See Volo's Guide to All Things Magical and Seven Sisters also. The Book of Exalted Deeds also has a small section on truenames.

And Volo's Guide to All Things Magical (formerly a suppressed work ) is available for free from the Wizards downloads page.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Aglaranna
Learned Scribe

166 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2007 :  21:32:31  Show Profile  Visit Aglaranna's Homepage Send Aglaranna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

And Volo's Guide to All Things Magical (formerly a suppressed work ) is available for free from the Wizards downloads page.

And since we all love Volo...*clicks link*

In some celestial voice

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2007 :  23:59:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, and I forgot... Ed also describes a few specific truenames for certain Realms NPCs and how they function for them in his compiled replies here at Candlekeep -- specifically the '04 and '06 files.

Go to Top of Page

Daviot
Senior Scribe

USA
372 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2007 :  03:30:44  Show Profile  Visit Daviot's Homepage Send Daviot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And if memory serves, there's at least a mention of truenames under Oghma in the Faiths and Pantheons sourcebook. I just don't have it handy currently.

One usually has far more to fear from the soft-spoken wizard with a blade and well-worn boots than from the boisterous one in the ivory tower.
My Tabletop Writing CV.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2007 :  04:29:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, there is.

'Tis the Oghmanyte ceremony known as "The Naming" whereupon a child follower of Oghma, when reaching the age of 12, is told his/her "True Name" that is said to represent the follower's true essence.

Go to Top of Page

Tyr
Learned Scribe

225 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2007 :  15:50:39  Show Profile  Visit Tyr's Homepage Send Tyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I think the truename is the name given to your essence/spirit/whatever when you are first created and before you are actually born. Rather than your normal name that your character's parents give them or they take up for themselves.

Ariel Manx isn't Midnight's truename, its her actual name, atleast thats how I see it.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2007 :  17:23:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyr

Ariel Manx isn't Midnight's truename, its her actual name, atleast thats how I see it.

She flat out said that it was her true name.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000