Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Sembian law
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Besshalar
Learned Scribe

Finland
166 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2006 :  10:18:49  Show Profile  Visit Besshalar's Homepage Send Besshalar a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I've been looking around to see how the legal system works in Sembia and what is legal and illegal in Sembia, but unfortunately haven't found much . Any suggestions where I might find more info ?

The large print giveth , and the small print taketh away.
-Tom Waits

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2006 :  10:54:01  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You're unlikely to find anything definitive on this in the Realmslore, mostly because Sembia has been a virtually untouched region of FR throughout most of 1e and 2e and only briefly treated in 3e FR lore. TSR left it as a area for DM's to detail, for the most part.

That being said, you can find the odd tidbits in the 1e and 2e FR boxed sets, as well as Forgotten Realms Adventures. A good source for some of the legal aspects of Sembia have been referenced in the "Sembia" series of novels... Halls of Stormweather being a particular notable source as I recall. As well, Paul Kemp's earlier "Erevis Cale" books.

"Land of Merchants", in Polyhedron #94, also has the odd tidbit.

As well, head over to Ed's Realmslore column archive (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/rl) and read through "The Matchmaker of Sembia" series and "The Flourishing Career of Melvos Hammerstars" series.

Additionally, Ed's managed to slip the odd legal tidbit about Sembia in his various replies over the years. See the compiled files.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Besshalar
Learned Scribe

Finland
166 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2006 :  11:10:26  Show Profile  Visit Besshalar's Homepage Send Besshalar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Sage as always you are extremely helpful !... The reason I am looking for this is because I'm contributing to the Fellaren-Krae project and I wouldn't want to make anything legal that might be considered illegal later ret-conning stinks but I guess I'll just have to make do with what there is....

-Tom Waits
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2006 :  11:19:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, you could use the sections on Realmsian laws in Power of Faerun as a guide. So long as you've got a feel for Sembian society and what little has been revealed about its government, you should be able to plot your own course for a legal system centred on the region and that has a slight "Sembian" flavor.

Edited by - The Sage on 27 Dec 2006 11:21:01
Go to Top of Page

Besshalar
Learned Scribe

Finland
166 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2006 :  14:36:33  Show Profile  Visit Besshalar's Homepage Send Besshalar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh I believe I'll be able to make something of it...

-Tom Waits
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2006 :  03:25:26  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

"Land of Merchants", in Polyhedron #94, also has the odd tidbit.

Good to see you putting those Polyhedron articles to good use, Sage. I'd totally forgotten the brief stretch of columns on Sembia.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2006 :  04:34:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aye.

It seems that some of those older POLYHEDRON articles are often forgotten in favor of newer lore. 'Tis a shame, really... because they're rare "gems" that can often still shine when brought into the light!

Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2006 :  04:47:30  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found this here at our great site using a google search for sembia law

http://www.candlekeep.com/library/articles/sembia.htm

Look about 6 paragraphs down and you will see a bit about the sembian legal system. Not sure where this originated from though
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2006 :  05:08:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's an article originally taken from the WotC FR website and then included in the FR Novel Archive, from around the time the "Sembia" series was being published as I recall.

'Tis official lore, for the most part.

Edited by - The Sage on 28 Dec 2006 05:11:18
Go to Top of Page

Besshalar
Learned Scribe

Finland
166 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2006 :  10:20:59  Show Profile  Visit Besshalar's Homepage Send Besshalar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's pretty much what I would have gone with anyway ....

-Tom Waits
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000