Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Fey questions
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Torkael
Acolyte

39 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2006 :  06:40:32  Show Profile  Visit Torkael's Homepage Send Torkael a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Quick questions..

1) How did the ToT affect them fey folk? With magic running wild and them being magical beings, there's bound to be something happening, right?

2) Is it possible for a fey settlement of any sort with various kinds of fey inhabiting it? I've read somewhere about pixie villages, but is there anything about satyrs, sprites, nypmhs, etc living together within a set area?

3) Who do they generally worship, if they do so at all?

"No, I will not create a song dedicated to dancing dwarves. Especially dwarves worshipping Eilistraee." - Tenasa the bard

Paj
Seeker

United Kingdom
56 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2006 :  10:33:21  Show Profile  Visit Paj's Homepage Send Paj a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not sure about 1) or 2) but in 2e most of the Fey worshipped wither the Seelie court, consisting of Oberon, titania and others, or the Unseelie court ruled by the Queen of Air and Darkness.

Im not sure if these pantheons still exist in FR 3.5 but unless there has been some canon lore listing them as not in FR anymore its safe to assume they worship those pantheons still.
Go to Top of Page

ShadowJack
Senior Scribe

USA
350 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2006 :  12:53:28  Show Profile  Visit ShadowJack's Homepage Send ShadowJack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Torkael,

Good Questions...
Here are my thoughts, but the other Sages will have better answers. 1) I believe that the Time of Trouble would affect the Fey much like it did the rest of the Realms, magic was unreliable and erratic. If I remember right the ToT did not affect spell-like abilities which most of the fey utilize. So, they would have been restricted on casting any sort of spells, but their natural abilities would have been largely unaffected... 2) I would say there could very well be fey villages in places such as the High Forest, Unicorn Run area and other isolated regions of the Realm, such as Evermeet. Gwynneth Vale in the Moonshaes would be another possible spot. I do not remember seeing any Fey settlement in any source in the Realms. 3) The Seelie and Unseelie court is a possibility, but I always thought of them as more rulers than worshipped beings... I know that the centaurs worship Skerrit, which always struck me as a "fey god". Of course are centaurs fey? I will see if Demihuman Deities has anything...

ShadowJack
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2006 :  13:43:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Torkael

2) Is it possible for a fey settlement of any sort with various kinds of fey inhabiting it? I've read somewhere about pixie villages, but is there anything about satyrs, sprites, nypmhs, etc living together within a set area?
There's a large tribe of centaurs (and some other noted fey types) who who dwell around the Lost Peaks as well. As well as the korred -- wild-haired, satyr-like creatures who reside in the wood around the Lost Peaks in the western portion of the High Forest. Satyrs, with some other fey types, exist together in several areas across the Realms... examples include woods in the North (glades south of the Lost Peaks), the Dalelands (the Border Forest), and some woods in the south (the Wealdath). Tribes of sprites and other fey are found together on Evermeet. In the Forgotten Forest. As well as the Wealdath. And in the Border Forest.

So yes, these examples do include members of other fey types living in the same location -- such as the Wealdath and the Border Forest.

quote:
Originally posted by Torkael

3) Who do they generally worship, if they do so at all?
The Seelie and Unseelie Courts, generally. You can learn more about them in Elves of Evermeet, Monster Mythology and On Hallowed Ground.

Alternatively, D20 Faeries from Bastion Press presents an alternate take on Fey and the Seelie/Unseelie. It's a great resource, and was even partly edited by Steven Schend. Who had this little bit to say:-

"For those interested in another take/option on Faerie, there is a D20 option from Bastion Press y'all might want to take a look at.....

Bryon Wischstadt, long-time Realms fanatic and all-around good guy, wrote this guide to Faerie (both the realm/plane and inhabitants) and yours truly edited it alongside him. As both of us (and Jim Butler, Bastion's president, CEO, and chief cook and bottle washer) all have a deep and abiding love for the Realms, there's nothing in there that wouldn't work in terms of using Faerie as a source for ancient elves (or other more modern threats). It's a mix of old folklore and modern conceptions of Faerie and even stats up Old Man Winter, Father Time, and Father Christmas if you want such.

Steven
Who apologizes profusely for plugging a product but it seems relevant to the discussion at hand"

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 12 Dec 2006 14:02:01
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2006 :  14:09:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paj

Im not sure if these pantheons still exist in FR 3.5 but unless there has been some canon lore listing them as not in FR anymore its safe to assume they worship those pantheons still.
Yes, they do.

However, 3/3.5e FR lore places the fey followers into the Faerun pantheon.

Go to Top of Page

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2006 :  14:26:43  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
where can the gods domains and such be found if your interested in making an half-fey which worships they Seelie Court?

what happened to the queen? she's much more hysterical than usual
She's a women, it happens once a month
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2006 :  14:47:59  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The portfolios for each of the "deities" in the Seelie and Unseelie Courts are referenced in the Monster Mythology and On Hallowed Ground sources I mentioned earlier.

The "God List" at planewalker.com also references the domains as well.

Edited by - The Sage on 12 Dec 2006 14:48:53
Go to Top of Page

ShadowJack
Senior Scribe

USA
350 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2006 :  15:10:22  Show Profile  Visit ShadowJack's Homepage Send ShadowJack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most Respected Sage,

Pray tell me, good sir, from whence comes your info on the tribe of centaurs near the Lost Peaks? I am intersted in finding this source for use in my campaign!

ShadowJack
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2006 :  23:21:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ShadowJack

Most Respected Sage,

Pray tell me, good sir, from whence comes your info on the tribe of centaurs near the Lost Peaks? I am intersted in finding this source for use in my campaign!

From The North boxed set. Which is available as a free PDF download at WotC:- http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/downloads

There's a little in Silver Marches as I recall, also.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000