Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 A Question for the rules lawyers: Favored Souls
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2006 :  07:18:51  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic

Can a Favored Soul take an Initiate of X Feat?

Should the Favored Soul have to sacrifice existing known spells or should they just add the spells to the list?

For those not familar with the Favored Soul its like a Sorcerer in that the Favored soul only knows a certain number of spells

Admitedly some Initiate feats wont be able to be taken by Favored Souls as they cant meet the requirements (Initiate of Tyr requires War domain and Favored Souls dont get Domains)

The same problem exists for Sorcerers and Blessed of the Seven Sisters feat

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2006 :  14:49:40  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would say that they can take an Initiate Feat if they are able to meet the prerequisites. In other words, a lot of them have "cleric level X" or "paladin level X" and in that case, I would't bend the rules. If its just "caster level X" or "must be able to cast X" I don't think it would be a problem.

I thought about this when I was making up a Healer of Ilmater.

The fifth paragraph down, under "spells," on page seven of the Miniatures Handbook mentions that Favored Souls from 4th level on, at every even numbered Favored Soul level, can swap out an old spell for a new one.

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2006 :  00:26:37  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, I'm an idiot. I completely misread your original post Dargoth, sorry about that. That what I get for posting between Christmas shopping trips.

I'm not sure I would switch "cleric" for "cleric or favored soul" for the prerequisites, if only because the initiate feats seem to indicate a deeper understanding of the formal secrets of the faith, and favored souls are specifically those that have been granted their powers outside of the normal, formal training of the church.

On the other hand, if you do want to waive this requirement (you could argue that since some of the initiate feats have more specific requirements, like specific domaians, that only those would limit access to Favored Souls), I would give the spells as bonus spells to the spell list, not making them swap out spells they have to accomodate those from the feat, otherwise, it doesn't feel much like a benefit.

I don't think that this is particularly game breaking, and the bloodline feats from Dragon Magazine and the Dragon Compendium work in much the same way, adding spells to a sorcerer's spell list and giving a minor bonus besides.

In fact, this also brings ups something you might want to try. You could come up with "favored task" feats, feats that give a favored soul extra spells and abilities based on the task that their deity had in mind when they made their servant a favored soul, similar to the bloodline feats.

For example, you might come up with bonus spells given to Helmites that are "Protectors of the Young," which would be different from Helmites that are favored souls and are "Paragons of the Faith," (and whose function is to be a good example to other Helmites, in much the same way as the Vigilant Eyes of the Deity act).

Just some ideas to throw out there, and once again, sorry for the complete misread of the initial post.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000