Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Just new
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KingGorion
Acolyte

Australia
3 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2003 :  13:51:14  Show Profile  Visit KingGorion's Homepage Send KingGorion a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hey im new here and very new to the reading of forgotten realms. I was wondering and wanting to ask what was the first forgotten realms book ever made. My local library has a mix of forgotten realms books mainly newer 2000 version and i was wondering when they have started out. Also i decided to start reading "Return of the Archwizard" because coincedencly the library had the complete set, The summoning, The seige, Realms of Shadow, and the Sorcerros. There were other books but it either had book 3, book 4 of some of them had book 1 and book 2 but not the complete set. I was wondering if there really worth reading and worth to buy? I herd theres a lot of forgotten realm books Over 200? does anyone have an exact number?

thanks all really appreciated!

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2003 :  15:15:02  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First of all, welcome!
The first FR book published was Darkwalker on Moonshae. And yes! they definitly worth to buy them. My advices are all the books for R.A. Salvatore and the Avatar Trilogy plus the sequels (Prince of Lies and Crucible). That'll do for a beginning.

Sorry Alaundo, i tried to make a link to the book description on Candlekeep but since it's a frame, it just give me www.candlekeep.com
Go to Top of Page

KingGorion
Acolyte

Australia
3 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2003 :  15:21:21  Show Profile  Visit KingGorion's Homepage Send KingGorion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ah fare enough thanks for the tips ill look into it thanks a lot :)
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2003 :  16:12:37  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well Met

quote:
Originally posted by zemd

Sorry Alaundo, i tried to make a link to the book description on Candlekeep but since it's a frame, it just give me www.candlekeep.com

Worry not my dear zemd Simply right-clicking on a page reveals a menu, select Properties and cut the page address (URL) from there. Thus, revealing this page.

Still, it matters not, the information was given to KingGorion.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2003 :  22:37:39  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*sob* Another one looking for order in our chaos . . . .

Bookwyrm rumages around in his desk of many drawers and pulls out a scroll.

Okay, I'm too tired of this subject to talk about it so soon . . . in the meantime, read this. It's just the next most recent time someone asked this sort of question -- there are many others.

And while, unlike your neighborhood library, we don't use the Dewey Decimal system, we do have a convenient scrying room off the main hall. You should be able find more information there.

*sigh* If it weren't for the assignments from my overlords, such as Lady English or Lord Astronomy, at the College of Count Montgomery, I'd compile all that information into a VFTTPONAQ (Very Frequently To-The-Point-Of-Nausea Asked Questions) page . . . .

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Darkelf
Acolyte

2 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2003 :  15:50:46  Show Profile  Visit Darkelf's Homepage Send Darkelf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hey all, i was wondering, are there the same charecters in all the books? If there were DarkWalker on Moonshae would be the book that introduces them right? I just bought "The Icewind Dale Trilogy" and they already started talking about charecters from before.

Edited by - Darkelf on 10 Aug 2003 15:54:34
Go to Top of Page

Malanthius
Learned Scribe

144 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2003 :  18:22:38  Show Profile  Visit Malanthius's Homepage Send Malanthius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There aren't common characters throughout "all" of the forgotten realms books. Occasionally a series will reference events that took place on the continent of faerun, or the planet of aber-toril, but generally a series just has it's own characters. Those referenced in the icewind dale trilogy are the "back story" the author later expanded on this in the Dark elf trilogy.

Mal.

"Oh, Do stop whining, It's not the End of the World. It's just the end of Your's."
Go to Top of Page

Darkelf
Acolyte

2 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2003 :  06:38:19  Show Profile  Visit Darkelf's Homepage Send Darkelf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I went to the Library today and found out that R.A. Salvator didnt write all of them, (i didnt know that) E. Cunningham does too. =/
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2003 :  07:38:35  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Forgotten Realms setting is open to any author, assuming they can actually meet the standards of the publisher (Wizards of the Coast). It's done with other popular series as well -- Star Trek and Star Wars being the most commonly known. Actually, the latter is a better example than the first, since new books have to be carefully studied to make sure that nothing contradicts previous material.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2003 :  17:52:42  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed Greenwood started writing fiction in the Realms twenty years before the first Realms novel was published. It's distinct from other shared worlds in that it has a single original, and in great part continual, creator.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000