Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Drow clothing/equipment
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Aquanova
Seeker

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2006 :  18:43:19  Show Profile  Visit Aquanova's Homepage Send Aquanova a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
We all know about the famed piwafwi, but when I got to thinking about drow NPCs, I realized I personally don't know what materials and sort they use for their clothes. I know cloth is of course a given, but what about leather? Rothe could provide that, wouldn't they? And then there's the ever-possible lizardhide.

I know about exceptions and all, but I'm just wanting to know drow norms.

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2006 :  19:15:30  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well Rothe hide should be a main souce of leather and I can see lizard hide or scales used to make clothing as well. Not really sure what plant thread is devived from to make cloth though perhaps spider silk is the component instead of a plant.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Calrond
Learned Scribe

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2006 :  19:45:33  Show Profile Send Calrond a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I could see the drow using spider web to make silk, like the Chinese used silk worms. After treating them somehow to keep them from sticking to everything, they'd probably be really comfortable and strong (spider silk is 100x stronger than steel, pound for pound).

Hmm...that leads me to think that maybe the drow could experiment with spider silk chainmail. A little magic could keep the silk chainmail from decomposing and with the other drow enchantments, it might be even stronger than their regular chainmail. In RL, they're even trying to incorporate spider silk into bullet-proof vests, or at least they were last time I checked.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2006 :  01:12:24  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aquanova

We all know about the famed piwafwi, but when I got to thinking about drow NPCs, I realized I personally don't know what materials and sort they use for their clothes. I know cloth is of course a given, but what about leather? Rothe could provide that, wouldn't they? And then there's the ever-possible lizardhide.

I know about exceptions and all, but I'm just wanting to know drow norms.

Ed's Drow of the Underdark has a few points on what additional materials are used to create clothing for drow.

As I recall, the first few books in the WotSQ series also drop a few tidbits as well.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 23 Nov 2006 01:13:05
Go to Top of Page

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2006 :  02:16:23  Show Profile Send Dhomal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello-

IIRC Elaine Cunningham's Starlight & Shadows books - mainly the first (I think) discuss the attitude of drow at social parties (mainly for the younger) - and I recall there being some discussion of clothing - though not materials. Again - I'm not sure - but I think thats in there! Its been a couple of years since I read them.

Dhomal

I am collecting the D&D Minis. I would be more than willing to trade with people. You can send me a PM here with your email listed - and I can send you my minis list. Thanks!

Successfully traded with Xysma!

Edited by - Dhomal on 23 Nov 2006 02:17:07
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2006 :  23:36:32  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why not spider silk (as Calrond suggested)?

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2006 :  00:50:52  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

*pout* I said it first *wink*

Besides the Realms have big spiders, thus big webs.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Ranin
Seeker

88 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2006 :  04:51:50  Show Profile  Visit Ranin's Homepage Send Ranin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I remember corectly from the dark elf trilogy, piwafwis are composed of strands of adamantite, which is why they decompose upon exposure to sunlight. Drow weaponry is made of pure adamantite, easily enchantable though easily more prone to decay under the sun's light. I don't remember any drow noble using any sort of leather, they disdain such crude clothing, and since all of Lolth's drow females are priestesses, they wear the black robes adorned with webs. Male slaves perhaps may use rothe hide.

Listen to the silence of the wilds, in there lies the wisdom of ages.
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2006 :  14:49:58  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Please note: adamantite is a special alloy made from adamantine. In the old sources, methinks, adamantite was more often than not subjected to faerzress, which lead to certain special abilities and the frailty in sunlight. So far, 3E that is, adamantite has not been mentioned, but drow seem to wear stuff made of adamantine quite often, at least compared to surface chaps. "Drowcraft" adamantine / mithral / steel equipment, i.e. tempered with faerzress, gains certain bonuses while in the area of faerzress (most of the Underdark), while it may "disintegrate" when subjected to sunlight.

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

Delzounblood
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
578 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2006 :  14:59:12  Show Profile Send Delzounblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was either in Starlght and Shadows or Daughter of the Drow where it tells of the markets in Mezz.. If I'm right it says that the drow trade with allsorts of peoples from the world above, Those who will brave the dangerous trip to below.

Surley then the drow would have access to any number of "foreign" products which while not native to the underdark would be considered exotic.

For eg: Silks, Fine cottons and wools from the world above. Having these would be considered a symbol of status due to the high price, would they not?

Delz

I'm Back!
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2006 :  17:17:54  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Dragon Compendium Volume One has spider silk armor in it. I don't have it handy to look it up, nor to look up the original issue of Dragon its from, but it definately seemed like a drow roguish thing to wear . . .
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2006 :  17:42:40  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, Underdark describes spider silk armor, of course.

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2006 :  23:50:25  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

*pout* I said it first *wink*

Besides the Realms have big spiders, thus big webs.

Oops, sorry.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Ranin
Seeker

88 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2006 :  18:28:42  Show Profile  Visit Ranin's Homepage Send Ranin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Originally posted by Delzounblood.
Surley then the drow would have access to any number of "foreign" products which while not native to the underdark would be considered exotic.

For eg: Silks, Fine cottons and wools from the world above. Having these would be considered a symbol of status due to the high price, would they not?

If I remember the way of the dark elves, anything non-drow is considered inferior. (Except for Illithid and demon kind)

Listen to the silence of the wilds, in there lies the wisdom of ages.

Edited by - Ranin on 25 Nov 2006 18:29:50
Go to Top of Page

Aquanova
Seeker

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2006 :  18:44:30  Show Profile  Visit Aquanova's Homepage Send Aquanova a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

[quote]Ed's Drow of the Underdark has a few points on what additional materials are used to create clothing for drow.

As I recall, the first few books in the WotSQ series also drop a few tidbits as well.

Yeah, I need to get DotU, and Drizzt Do'Urden's Guide to the Underdark. Badly.

Anyway, I forgot about the Shadows & Starlight trilogy. I think it's in Daughter of the Drow that lightly touched upon drow clothes.
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2010 :  13:57:53  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Equipment: adamantine, mithril, often with drowcraft property. Silent moves and hiding property are in demand too.

Clothing: silk, spider silk. Well, the drow don't wear much

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2010 :  16:57:13  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, yes, it was in Daughter of the Drow. It describes a gown Liriel wore to her last party before goingtothe Academy. There is also some mention of the Bazaar, and a few other tidbits. In general, they seem to use spider-silk for normal wear, as well as both rothe andlizard hides for leather goods. There is perhaps also a type of cloth from mushroom fibers, but this is just a guess. some mushies have very fiberous stalks, so it is very possible that they have learned how to weave the fibers for clothes and other things- paper, ropes, etc.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2010 :  04:34:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

some mushies have very fiberous stalks, so it is very possible that they have learned how to weave the fibers for clothes and other things- paper, ropes, etc.

I'm still trying to find the ones that grant extra lives.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2010 :  04:47:04  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, the drow keep those VERY heavily guarded!!

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000