Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Elminster's Ecologies Question
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Acolyte Thirteen
Seeker

93 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2010 :  06:32:40  Show Profile  Visit Acolyte Thirteen's Homepage Send Acolyte Thirteen a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi! In Elminster's Ecologies, it states the El has made use of the identity of Flamsterd. Does anyone know in what year/time Elminster donned this persona?

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2010 :  07:00:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Acolyte Thirteen

Hi! In Elminster's Ecologies, it states the El has made use of the identity of Flamsterd. Does anyone know in what year/time Elminster donned this persona?

I can't exactly recall when, but I think this has been asked of Ed before here at Candlekeep. An answer is still pending, I believe.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2010 :  08:50:14  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Acolyte Thirteen

I can't exactly recall when, but I think this has been asked of Ed before here at Candlekeep. An answer is still pending, I believe.

The Flamsterd question was asked quite recently, and THO answered thusly on 12 October of this year (page 82 of this year's Ask Ed Thread):
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One
Hi again, all.
Yes, Elminster has worn many masks down the centuries, but Flamsterd isn't one of them. In Realmsplay (with Ed as DM, of course), we Knights have been present at several meetings between the two of them; they are friends, but definitely NOT the same person.

Go to Top of Page

Acolyte Thirteen
Seeker

93 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2010 :  17:23:37  Show Profile  Visit Acolyte Thirteen's Homepage Send Acolyte Thirteen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, there is in fact an enrty for that Elminster, though it may be under a different name- don't have the book avilable ATM, but I distinctly remember the entry on the "alternate ID" in the far hills section. The entry might mention him(her?) being known as Flamsterd in Core (Greyhawk), but I can't remember for certain. It's been several years since I cracked it open so my recollection is slightly rusty.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2010 :  19:50:53  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am not near my sources ATM, but it is entirely possible that Flamsterd is a 'shared persona'. A fictitious identity created by several individuals for some purpose.

It may even be a Harper creation. I would hazard to guess that if this is so, Khelben has used it as well.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Acolyte Thirteen
Seeker

93 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2010 :  20:00:27  Show Profile  Visit Acolyte Thirteen's Homepage Send Acolyte Thirteen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you, MT. Really though, if I had the book handy I'd look it up, and as MT mentioned some FR characters were mentioned as being aspects or alternate names for others. Elminster WAS in there, as that was the first place I had ever seen him, and I bought that book long before I started really getting into Realms-specific lore.. Whether it was named or intended to be Flamsters is the part I don't recall off-hand.
Go to Top of Page

Acolyte Thirteen
Seeker

93 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2010 :  20:03:09  Show Profile  Visit Acolyte Thirteen's Homepage Send Acolyte Thirteen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But I thought I'd just post without actually verifying the facts of what I said!

Thanks MT!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000