Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Divine Intervention
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jordanz
Senior Scribe

553 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2006 :  03:53:14  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I recent article in Dragon Mag regarding Vecna and Kas had e thinkingg about his. Basically Vecna and Kas are sworn enemies. Vecna has managed to reach Godhood while Kas came back as a powerful yet non-divine being.

My question is. What is preventing Vecna from hunting KAs down and whipping his you know what? Is there a law that forbids that sort of interaction between divine and non divine? If so, what are the limits? Could a god send an Avatar after a mortal foe?

Besshalar
Learned Scribe

Finland
166 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2006 :  09:40:14  Show Profile  Visit Besshalar's Homepage Send Besshalar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As far as I understand AO's rules Vecna can only work through his worshippers on the prime. Even using an Avatar would be considered as direct action.

The large print giveth , and the small print taketh away.
-Tom Waits
Go to Top of Page

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2006 :  13:44:45  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Precisely... you can see it in the cyric books. The gods are forbidden to influence the worshippers of other gods in person. If they want to kill, terrorize or other, they will have to do it through their worshippers.

"When dragons make war, worlds can only tremble in the shadow of angry wings"
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2006 :  17:11:17  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, Ao has no influence over Vecna because Vecna is a Greyhawk deity, not a FR deity. :) Unless some of Vecna's clerics start to bring his faith to FR's Prime/Realmspace. Then, he'll only be a demipower since there are established FR deities that have the same portfolios as Vecna.

And Ed's comments show that deities do influence their worshipers, and the other worshipers of the other deities, via dreams, sendings, avatars, etc.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 18 Nov 2006 17:12:36
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2006 :  17:16:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It could be that even though Vecna is a god, he doesn't have enough power to take out Kas -- at least not without seriously weaking himself.

It's also possible that there is some sort of tie between the two that prevents it... It's possible that if something happens to either one, the other will be weakened or destroyed, regardless of who did it.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2006 :  19:01:07  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
By the way, I think the deification of Vecna was pretty lumpen thinking. He works much better as an obscure/legendary Vance-anagrammed lich than as a hyped god.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2006 :  00:11:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Well, Ao has no influence over Vecna because Vecna is a Greyhawk deity, not a FR deity. :) Unless some of Vecna's clerics start to bring his faith to FR's Prime/Realmspace. Then, he'll only be a demipower since there are established FR deities that have the same portfolios as Vecna.

And Ed's comments show that deities do influence their worshipers, and the other worshipers of the other deities, via dreams, sendings, avatars, etc.

I'll note also that this was all made clear in the introductory sections of Faiths & Avatars.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

dwarvenranger
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2006 :  00:43:48  Show Profile  Visit dwarvenranger's Homepage Send dwarvenranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with Faraer, making Vecna a god is like making Sazz Tam or Larloch a god.

If I waited till I knew what I was doing, I'd never get anything done.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000