Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Zhentarim Questions
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Pat the Magnificent
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2006 :  01:41:28  Show Profile  Visit Pat the Magnificent's Homepage Send Pat the Magnificent a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
let me start by say hello and nice forums.

furthermore, I've read the FRCS as well as all the info i could find on Wikipedia concerning the Zhentarim. however i just don't feel thats its enough. i want to use this info to make a NWN2 module and i want to make sure i have everything as accurate as possible. I haven't read any books concerning the Zhents or the Zhentarim, but would appreciate some recommendations. (as long as they're good books, anyways)

And on to the questions. And please, correct any wrong ideas i have.

1) what exactly is the nature of the relationship between the Zhentarim loyal to Bane and those loyal to Cyric? Do they fight each other, are they engaged in more of cold war sort of thing, or do they more or less get along?

2) what is Manshoon up to now thats he's been ousted from power? i know he has a bunch of clones of himself running around faerun, but is he (are they) still meddling with the affairs of the Zhentarim?

3) what's Fzoul like? As a character, is he a pretty reasonable guy or is he a madman? What's the nature of his control of the Banite Zhentarim?

4) Same question except directed at Pereghost, the leader of the Cyricist Zhentarim.

5) Who are some other important Zhentarim players that might be important to a story that centers largely around Darkhold.

6) As an organization, how is the Zhentarim structured? Is it ran in a military like fashion or are things more fluid? Are there officers and enlisted people? what about hierarchies?

7) are there any important sub factions i need to be aware of?

thanks in advance to anyone who answers.

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2006 :  02:00:11  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Firstly, I'd suggest you pick up a copy of the Ruins of Zhentil Keep boxed set. It deals with a few of the more specific parts of your questions.

Now...

2) Cloak & Dagger pretty much covers what we know about Manshoon's current activities. Lords of Darkness touches on this as well, as does Champions of Ruins.

As for the clones... C&D states that at some point, all 40 of Manshoon's stasis clones suddenly awoke all at the same time (it is not actually known how this happened, but C&D offers some intriguing possibilities), becoming active on Faerun and in Realmspace. These clones quickly grew determined to eradicate any and all other Manshoon clones who had also been actived, and during their efforts, showed little overall concern for anyone else who was caught in their paths of pursuit. Manshoon himself, the original Manshoon, was left with very little, after several powerful allies turned their backs on him.

Basically, Steven Schend intended to generate a specific religious focus for the Zhentarim through the Manshoon Wars. This was why they originally became worshippers of Xvim. In addition, Steven wanted to make Manshoon an unknown element within the general plot running through the Realmslore. Each "Manshoon" would be discreetly dropped into future FR accessories, giving DMs wider choices with regard to how to plan and play the overall effects and results, of Manshoon and his clones, upon the Realms. That is why we originally learned that there were so many (at least forty) clones now scouting around Faerun looking to make places for themselves. Officially, 3 Manshoons remain. One is the one with the Zhents. One is a vampire crimelord in Westgate. And one is hanging with Halaster in Undermountain.

Consider also, this bit from both THO and Ed -

"Remember the clever words of Richard Lee Byers, at last year's GenCon Indy FR seminar: "In my father's house, there are many Manshoons."
In other words, there are MORE Manshoons than 3e lore currently admits (as Ed will reveal in the fullness of time). And I'd say he's far more powerful than Fzoul, because he has fall-back plans and caches and plans set in motion far beyond Fzoul's capacity to anticipate. He may have suffered a personal setback within the Zhentarim, temporarily, but (to quote Ed of the Greenwood, hereafter):

"He's MUCH more cunning and better prepared than Fzoul has ever been. Fzoul always plays the "Hi, God of the Moment, I'm Yours!" card, and that's like juggling a flaming sword: no matter how good you are, sooner or later you're going to get badly cut and burned. My money is always on Manshoon - - and remember, I created Fzoul, Manshoon, and the Zhentarim, but haven't really had the chance to properly tell any of their stories, yet. Just fragments."

To this I can add: don't miss the Best of Eddie book, for a few glimpses more . . .

love,
THO"

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 10 Nov 2006 02:01:41
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2006 :  02:04:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some additional thoughts on 6) -- since the aforementioned RoZK (and 3e's Lords of Darkness) really does offer better treatment of this particular topic...

Concerning Manshoon for the most part, Manshoon's power in the Zhentarim is based upon the singular fact that Fzoul allows him a certain level of autonomy within the Black Network. As such, I wouldn't say that Manshoon's power is greater than either of the other two or three lords -- Fzoul Chembryl, Scyllua Darkhope, and Kandar Milinal.

Fzoul is the actual head of the Zhentarim, as well as the Chosen of Bane. This in itself grants him a significant amount of power both in mortal matters, as well as those of the divine. With Bane as THE power in Zhentil Keep, the final authority of the Black Network would appear to be within the purview of the position of the Chosen of Bane, Fzoul in this case. But that doesn't mean Fzoul is the be all end all when it comes to Banite matters and the Zhentarim. It is the position itself, rather than the person occupying it that holds the power. Fzoul is more, the "man of the moment" so to speak.

Scyllua on the other hand is the Castellan of Zhentil Keep, as well as the High Captain of the city's armies. In addition, she also handles a considerable amount of the city's administration since Fzoul is often busy with church business. She answers to the Chosen of Bane. Again, her overall power, while great, is limited by the fact that she must also answer to the position of Chosen of Bane, not the individual.

Kandar Milinal is the power in the Citadel of the Raven. His devotion to Bane is matched only by his drive to purge Darkhold of the last of its Cyricist hangers-on. Of course, this drive to purge Darkhold might blind him to the goings on in the Citadel, and as such, his role as Lord may eventually come into question...

Manshoon, while allowed some freedoms, must still ultimately report to Fzoul, as the Chosen of Bane. So, there would seem to be at least some limit to his overall power within the Black Network. I'd say he'd occupy a position between Scyllua and Kandar.

But of course, Manshoon's made grabs for ultimate power in the Zhentarim before, each time with mixed results. He's hatched some rather expansive plans and plots in the past -- some of which likely have yet to reach full maturity. Time will only tell which of these plans or plots finally thrust him into a higher position within the organisation.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2006 :  02:08:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As for question 4)... Ed told me a little about the Pereghost in his '05 replies here at Candlekeep.

Ed was also able to share a little about Darkhold, which may help with your fifth question, though an NDA prevented him from going in-depth.

Go to Top of Page

Pat the Magnificent
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2006 :  03:30:34  Show Profile  Visit Pat the Magnificent's Homepage Send Pat the Magnificent a Private Message  Reply with Quote
wow, thank you so much. you have no idea how much this has helped me. i'll see if i can't track down that 05' post you said Ed made.

quick question, does "Ed" refer to Ed Greenwood?
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2006 :  04:07:32  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pat the Magnificent

wow, thank you so much. you have no idea how much this has helped me. i'll see if i can't track down that 05' post you said Ed made.

Yes. He won't let us call him Mr. Greenwood, etc.

If you want a table of contents/index of Ed's replies and a word/pdf version of Ed's replies since 2004, see my sig.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 10 Nov 2006 04:15:57
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2006 :  04:12:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pat the Magnificent

Specifically, July 27th.

quote:
As Kuje said, yes it does.

Go to Top of Page

Lawfire
Acolyte

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2006 :  13:10:54  Show Profile  Visit Lawfire's Homepage Send Lawfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is this going to be a single player, multiplayer, or a persistant world type of module? I am really interested in your project because I am a big Zhent fan.

Faerun Roleplaying
http://www.faerunrp.com/forum/index.php
Go to Top of Page

Pat the Magnificent
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2006 :  15:45:49  Show Profile  Visit Pat the Magnificent's Homepage Send Pat the Magnificent a Private Message  Reply with Quote
mainly meant to be single player, but unless i alter my current idea heavily, i don't see any reason it couldn't be played multiplayer. Though one character would definately be singled out as the main character.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000