Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Spider kissers of Skullport and the WOSQ
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2006 :  23:45:14  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic

What do you reckon would have happaned to Lolth worshiping drow of Skullport during Lolths silence?

Most drow cities are locked away from the communities of other races/cultures and gods except for a few merchants who may visit the drow city and this helps make Lolth the only game in town for most drow communities however Skullport is different its not a drow city and Lolths clerics cant run around beating up worshipers of other gods not just because the followers will fight back but also due to the Skulls.

Now what effect is Lolths silence likely to have on the drow of Skullport? Every cleric is going to have known that Lolth isnt granting spells and even worse clerics of other gods still can cast spells. There also indanger of being wiped out by other power groups in the city. So Im thinking theres probably a fairly good chance that a sizeable number of drow converted to other deities due to exposure.

The Drow of the Promenade would have more than likely tried to convert some of Lolths followers as would Vhaeruns faithful in the city. Theres a cleric of Shar in Skullport and a large temple to shar in Undermountain so theres plenty oppertunity for Shar to recruit among the drow. Im thinking that much of House Tanor'Thal will have faded away by the time Lolth returns

Coments?

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2006 :  00:00:20  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

What do you reckon would have happaned to Lolth worshiping drow of Skullport during Lolths silence?

Most drow cities are locked away from the communities of other races/cultures and gods except for a few merchants who may visit the drow city and this helps make Lolth the only game in town for most drow communities however Skullport is different its not a drow city and Lolths clerics cant run around beating up worshipers of other gods not just because the followers will fight back but also due to the Skulls.

Now what effect is Lolths silence likely to have on the drow of Skullport? Every cleric is going to have known that Lolth isnt granting spells and even worse clerics of other gods still can cast spells. There also indanger of being wiped out by other power groups in the city. So Im thinking theres probably a fairly good chance that a sizeable number of drow converted to other deities due to exposure.

The Drow of the Promenade would have more than likely tried to convert some of Lolths followers as would Vhaeruns faithful in the city. Theres a cleric of Shar in Skullport and a large temple to shar in Undermountain so theres plenty oppertunity for Shar to recruit among the drow. Im thinking that much of House Tanor'Thal will have faded away by the time Lolth returns

Coments?

I asked the same many months ago, in this now dead campaign I ended House Tanor'Thal control over Skullport's drows with the crumbling of their spider-shaped HQ

Many have answered that the Skulls would have blocked any public religious war.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2006 :  00:10:23  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, she's still listed as being alive in the Waterdeep sourcebook. So I'm assuming that nothing major happened to her or the compound. And their house is still listed as an important power group in Skullport.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 07 Nov 2006 00:12:38
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2006 :  00:30:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I rather doubt it, or more specifically, I don't think we have enough lore on this to be able to judge with any real certainty. CoS:W notes that both House Tanar'Thal and Kesra Tanar'Thal are still active in Skullport and are still major powers in the Port of Shadow.

If Lolth's Silence has had any impact on her or the power of her House, then it likely hasn't been specifically noted yet, or she's found some way to mitigate its overall impact upon her House -- which we also don't know enough about.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 07 Nov 2006 00:32:08
Go to Top of Page

Zimme
Learned Scribe

Denmark
209 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2006 :  09:46:02  Show Profile Send Zimme a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I reckon that with the promenade in the vicinity, the reign of house Tanor'thal would be at an end. They would use the advantage. I belive. =)

Sometimes I feel like Beshaba is sitting on my back, devoting her entire attention to me!

Rannek.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000