Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Mass combat system.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Zimme
Learned Scribe

Denmark
209 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2006 :  01:27:22  Show Profile Send Zimme a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Im curious to what you people use when your realms are at war. Do you decide as the battle goes along, or do you use some kind of published system, or homemade rules?

Personally, for the big battles I use a custom fitted form of the warhammer fantacy battle rules.

Sometimes I feel like Beshaba is sitting on my back, devoting her entire attention to me!

Rannek.

Haman
Seeker

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2006 :  01:36:07  Show Profile  Visit Haman's Homepage Send Haman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use the "Heroes of Battle" book, it's streamlined and efficient for 3.5 mass combat. I've only had to use it once, but it was a good session, not bogged down much at all...

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=products/dndacc/860900000

Some people say we gamers have no lives....I think we have too many.
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2006 :  03:27:00  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I usually wing it with most of the battle's details focusing mostly on the player's, the storyline, and making spectacular scenes that shock the players. Sometimes the player's side loses too. That's just how it goes sometimes. Have fun with it. If the player's help plan the battle strategy that should change the outcome somehow.

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2006 :  07:34:43  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not certain about how I will resolve mass combat, yet, I have "Cry Havoc" but I haven't gone through it yet. Plus there is always the old mass combat system found in the Rules Cyclopedia

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Zimme
Learned Scribe

Denmark
209 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2006 :  23:08:44  Show Profile Send Zimme a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Haman

I use the "Heroes of Battle" book, it's streamlined and efficient for 3.5 mass combat. I've only had to use it once, but it was a good session, not bogged down much at all...

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=products/dndacc/860900000

WOA! that's a nice one, one more book I cant live without!! (raising the buget for FR this month and next!) I will try that, my way takes a entire session.

Sometimes I feel like Beshaba is sitting on my back, devoting her entire attention to me!

Rannek.

Go to Top of Page

Neonai
Acolyte

Turkey
34 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2006 :  14:36:42  Show Profile  Visit Neonai's Homepage Send Neonai a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Large battles are tricky but I cannot control even 10 strong npcs alltogether. I need to call some friend and make them control the npc but it s not working always.

does "Heroes of Battle" work for smaller combast?
Go to Top of Page

Neonai
Acolyte

Turkey
34 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2006 :  14:37:13  Show Profile  Visit Neonai's Homepage Send Neonai a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Large battles are tricky but I cannot control even 10 strong npcs alltogether. I need to call some friend and make them control the npc but it s not working always.

Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2006 :  14:39:39  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
the closest thing to mass combat (using mass combat rules) I have ever used is the ship-to-ship combat in Spelljammer..

I never really liked mass combat rules, I feel it takes away from the RPG and makes it more of a table-top game, like warhammer...any "mass" battle we did the players were still players, the war around them was determined by the DM's descretion

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

- High Mage of the Arcane Assembly
- Lore Keeper of the Vault of Ancestors
- 3rd Son of the Lord of the Stand
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2006 :  15:27:17  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heroes of Battle deals more with the battlefield as dungeon for the party, I'm not even sure there is a real mass combat system in it.

The old D&D rules cyclopedia and the "green box" (I think).

Running 10 NPCs in a battle gives you trouble...you might wanna consider not doing wars, aside from maybe pivotal battles, in which case you should check out Heroes of Battle

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Neonai
Acolyte

Turkey
34 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2006 :  15:39:49  Show Profile  Visit Neonai's Homepage Send Neonai a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yeah sure, thats an option however I don't like to restrict how the story goes because of my lack of knowledge or ability.

if there is a way to close the gap, i would like to learn that at least to make the battles a little bit realistic and let the fortune of the dice take its course. ýf that was not my concern ý would easily just tell the players what s happening around them just using my will and imagination. for me any battle that includes many npcs are pivotal since it would be a life and death situation and the outcome be interesting .
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2006 :  15:45:10  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh...and playing 10 NPCs is so easy once you start using minis. I even ran a big-ass battle with 70 or so opponents, the thing took hours but still.

Go to Top of Page

Neonai
Acolyte

Turkey
34 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2006 :  18:51:12  Show Profile  Visit Neonai's Homepage Send Neonai a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

Oh...and playing 10 NPCs is so easy once you start using minis. I even ran a big-ass battle with 70 or so opponents, the thing took hours but still.

haa, the minis. well ý dont have any. but sometimes ý use the warhammer stuff if my frieds bring. it is sure easier than drawing everything on papers.
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2006 :  19:02:11  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a bunch of minis I wanna trade off...should anything remain un-traded, I could sell the stuff to you, provided you pay for s/h

Go to Top of Page

Zimme
Learned Scribe

Denmark
209 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2006 :  20:13:54  Show Profile Send Zimme a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Heroes of Battle deals more with the battlefield as dungeon for the party, I'm not even sure there is a real mass combat system in it.

The old D&D rules cyclopedia and the "green box" (I think).

Running 10 NPCs in a battle gives you trouble...you might wanna consider not doing wars, aside from maybe pivotal battles, in which case you should check out Heroes of Battle

Ah you mean d&d companion(green one), yes but its kinda too simple, but it is the quickest to resolve large scale battle.

Rannek.

Go to Top of Page

Neonai
Acolyte

Turkey
34 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2006 :  21:06:28  Show Profile  Visit Neonai's Homepage Send Neonai a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I have a bunch of minis I wanna trade off...should anything remain un-traded, I could sell the stuff to you, provided you pay for s/h

ý would be interested in cool or gruesome looking little fellows. heeh showing players off with that kind of stuff and giving them small clowns would be entertaining .

however if thats a serious trade propasal my location would be a problem. so thanks anyway. but any advertisement is good right?
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2006 :  22:58:11  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Turkey shouldn't be that much of a problem, I'd say...or I could ask one of my Turkish acquaintances to drop it off at a post office in Turkey when they go there next time

Go to Top of Page

Neonai
Acolyte

Turkey
34 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2006 :  23:39:12  Show Profile  Visit Neonai's Homepage Send Neonai a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ohh, that s good to hear. if you have pictures ý may consider buying. no promises though, ý a little picky you know. details of a possible trade can be discussed later on, right .
Go to Top of Page

bitter thorn
Learned Scribe

USA
184 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2006 :  00:43:16  Show Profile  Visit bitter thorn's Homepage Send bitter thorn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Neonai

Do the PCs have followers or mercenaries? Would they have any specific command resposabilities in the battle ,or would they constitute an elite strike force to counteract tough monsters on the other side? If it is the latter, you are basically running a pc vrs monster fight in the midst of a larger battle. In that case there is no real mandate to run the surrounding battle mechanically. In effect it becomes a very dramatic life and death back drop to PCs onstage action. You can simply make it part of the dramatic narrative of the game.

On the other hand, if your PCs have thier own followers that they have invested a lot of time and gold into, your task changes dramaticly. No one likes to be told by the DM that thier followers forces (who may be composed heavily of the PCs friend family and countrymen) arbitrarily take 10 % fatalities.

"Nobody listens to the Ranger!"

Our groups are all sticking with 3.X classic Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Neonai
Acolyte

Turkey
34 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2006 :  09:33:01  Show Profile  Visit Neonai's Homepage Send Neonai a Private Message  Reply with Quote
sometimes pcs having lots of henchmen happens. once they had a small ship a yacht ý presume and needed 10 sailors for them to sail the ship. ýf they let the original sailors whom would have no on any difficult combat ý could just easily narrated the outcome. but they chose to recruit ex pirates and experienced veterans of wars so as you said ý couldn't just tell them their employees died, they would like to see how since they invested lots of gold and work.

but in my games ý like to use npc adventuring parties in those cases if the opponents are high level ý start to have difficulties. but thinking about it no mass combat system would be helpful, just need more practice.
Go to Top of Page

David E
Seeker

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2006 :  09:57:36  Show Profile  Visit David E's Homepage Send David E a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you want to actually run mass combat between an army or other large-sized groups, I think Cry Havoc is the way to go - it presents combat between units of combatants in a ruleset that is almost identical to the 3.5, in which entire units are treated as individual NPCs , which makes combat very easy to run. Keep in mind that this is gross simplification of the rules in the book, but it should give you an idea how Cry Havoc works.
Go to Top of Page

Zimme
Learned Scribe

Denmark
209 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2006 :  07:50:17  Show Profile Send Zimme a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have followed my fellow gamers advice and bought Cry havoc and heroes of battle. All set now =) cry havoc is more suited though. At least in my humble opinion.

Rannek.

Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2006 :  05:47:33  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anyone here tried the Mass Combat system from the Miniatures Handbook? I read it over a few years ago, but never got to fully develop a campaign that was so military as to require the use of it... (my current campaign started out as a military campaign, but the heroes quickly bugged off to more glamorous and glittering gold-filled monster holes!)
Go to Top of Page

Zimme
Learned Scribe

Denmark
209 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2006 :  07:28:41  Show Profile Send Zimme a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No not from miniatures, but the two mentioned books are good for char's in the military campaign, and I belive that dragon magazine brought an article on military campaigns some years ago, based on the roman system. ( the mumber of the magazine escapes me now, but I will post the number here when I found it in my collection).

Rannek.

Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2006 :  10:20:32  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I only skimmed Cry Havoc so far, but from what I've read so far the entire book deals with everything concerning war.

One aspect intrigued me, however. If two opposing forces in the Realms worship the same god, for example Lathander, would both sides' clerics be granted spells or would Lathander pick sides? In Cry Havoc one of the circumstances says that if both sides worship the same deity one will not receive spells.

Considering that Realms deities receive their power from worship, wouldn't it be prudent to either grant both sides spells, or deny 'em to both?

I haven't read Power of Faerûn thoroughly yet, but what happens if in such a war one of the sides faithful to Lathander loses? If they are religious fanatics, would they not lose faith in Lathander and thus decrease his power, slightly?

Convoluted thoughts in the morning...

Go to Top of Page

Zimme
Learned Scribe

Denmark
209 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2006 :  10:30:42  Show Profile Send Zimme a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah that is a good question indeed! It could be two diffrent paths in the worship of the god(like ortodox and non-ortodox and so)forth), but still, I agree the best course would be to grant/deny them both. And who could know how godly entities judges, cant be determinded by mortals. =)

Rannek.

Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2006 :  10:53:34  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Still...if I was a faithful and my side would lose in a war, would I not be pissed off at my god and maybe deny his religion, hence weakening his power?

Go to Top of Page

Zimme
Learned Scribe

Denmark
209 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2006 :  11:03:35  Show Profile Send Zimme a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, maybe but that depends on alot of things. Think on it, if it were so would there be any worshippers of Bane left at all(if one goes by the books) =D

Rannek.

Go to Top of Page

EvilKnight
Learned Scribe

USA
162 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2006 :  01:37:40  Show Profile  Visit EvilKnight's Homepage Send EvilKnight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Their are always those gods that cause discord by supplying the spells in another god's name in the Realms.

EvilKnight

Danali Index
Go to Top of Page

Zimme
Learned Scribe

Denmark
209 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2006 :  08:04:09  Show Profile Send Zimme a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes indeed, intrigue galore, even with the gods! ;)

Rannek.

Go to Top of Page

bitter thorn
Learned Scribe

USA
184 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2006 :  11:44:57  Show Profile  Visit bitter thorn's Homepage Send bitter thorn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where does one find "Cry Havoc"?

quote:

I only skimmed Cry Havoc so far, but from what I've read so far the entire book deals with everything concerning war.

One aspect intrigued me, however. If two opposing forces in the Realms worship the same god, for example Lathander, would both sides' clerics be granted spells or would Lathander pick sides? In Cry Havoc one of the circumstances says that if both sides worship the same deity one will not receive spells.

Considering that Realms deities receive their power from worship, wouldn't it be prudent to either grant both sides spells, or deny 'em to both?

I haven't read Power of Faerûn thoroughly yet, but what happens if in such a war one of the sides faithful to Lathander loses? If they are religious fanatics, would they not lose faith in Lathander and thus decrease his power, slightly?

Convoluted thoughts in the morning...

"Nobody listens to the Ranger!"

Our groups are all sticking with 3.X classic Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2006 :  13:09:02  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's published through WW (or S&S) by Malhavoc.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000