Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 Shadowbred: Chapters 14 - 17
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2006 :  14:30:54  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dwarvenranger

Mr. Kemp,
Congratulations on another outstanding novel. I have only one burning question, that may have already been answered elseware, if so please forgive me. My question is, does Kezef share any relation to the chaos hound other than name?

Dwarvenranger,

Thank you.

And your bluff roll is lower than my opposed sense motive. Elyril's mastiff in Shadowbred is named "Kefil," not "Kezef." A very nice attempt, though.

Edited by - PaulSKemp on 28 Nov 2006 00:22:00
Go to Top of Page

dwarvenranger
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2006 :  16:12:22  Show Profile  Visit dwarvenranger's Homepage Send dwarvenranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can't blame a dwarf for tryin

If I waited till I knew what I was doing, I'd never get anything done.

Go to Top of Page

fightercaprice
Acolyte

1 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2006 :  04:42:39  Show Profile  Visit fightercaprice's Homepage Send fightercaprice a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shemmy,
I think someone told me that Mask was once a sword (yes, weird). Could he have been a 'bastard' sword? =)
Go to Top of Page

Lameth
Learned Scribe

Germany
196 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2006 :  22:45:02  Show Profile  Visit Lameth's Homepage Send Lameth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fightercaprice

Shemmy,
I think someone told me that Mask was once a sword (yes, weird). Could he have been a 'bastard' sword? =)

Only in the Avatar Trilogy
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2006 :  21:05:40  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I was dumbfounded when Cale went back to the Wayrock and Riven guided him into the room to see Jak....still warm! Yikes! What a scary experience.

I'm glad that this didn't turn out to be a resurrection or similar scene though. Jak's death in Midnight's Mask was one of the best scenes i've ever read in any FR novel so i'm glad this really was just a final goodbye for Cale.

Also glad that Cale cut his hair off again Hey, now he looks just like me

The Shadowwalkers are pretty eerie too. Nice addition.

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2006 :  21:10:21  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One quote that I really liked here and which i'm sure will stick with me, is from Rivalen when he said "people see darkness and they assume evil". So very true.

Also, I liked when Rivalen was talking about his plans and refered to "Netheril" rather than just Shade Enclave. Tamlin picked up on this, but it was a nice touch when gave that very slight air of insanity and failure to accept the demise of Netheril since the times past.

I really enjoyed the journey of Ssessimyth (sp?) along the sword coast, attacking the whale and finally attacking Yhaunn. Great stuff. The huge scale of the thing came apparant when it described all the displace water in the Dock Ward too. This attack scene was also one of my favorite scenes too. Imagining the chaos in the city with the citizen and militia, and the attacks from the wizards.

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2006 :  21:17:17  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The concept of The Hole in a Dead Magic zone is great. I liked how performed the Detect Magic and "saw" the Dead Magic area beyond all the glowing swords\rings etc. The scene in The Hole was a right page-turner too. Riven's character came back to his usual self again too when his nasty threat against Phraig when refering to his wife I guess that's the real way to get people to co-operate!

It's pretty obvious how even just a short spell in The Hole must be when the desperation of severing a hand isn't even something to think twice about!

Again, liked how Riven just jumped and hoped for the best that he would pass out of the Dead Magic zone!

Loved the fight in the city with the Shade. Very atmospheric. Quite disturbing when Cale's throat was slashed and then started to mend itself. What are those muscular bipedal creatures anyway??

Finding Magadon fused to the mythallar was nasty.

So that's it. Finito. A great book once again from the pen of Mr Kemp. I'm very much looking forward to book 2 and will highly recommend this book to everyone.

Here's hoping for a "Erevis Cale Collector's Edition" in the future...all 7 books, perfect

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2006 :  15:21:51  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Rad
So that's it. Finito. A great book once again from the pen of Mr Kemp. I'm very much looking forward to book 2 and will highly recommend this book to everyone.

Here's hoping for a "Erevis Cale Collector's Edition" in the future...all 7 books, perfect

Rad,

Thank you. I'm glad you enjoyed the novel. And hey, I wouldn't mind seeing a collector's edition, myself.

Paul
Go to Top of Page

primemover003
Acolyte

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2006 :  00:32:14  Show Profile  Visit primemover003's Homepage Send primemover003 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Rad
What are those muscular bipedal creatures anyway??

My guess is that they're the Krinth slaves from Champions of Ruin.

Walking the fine line between Order and Chaos, Darkness and Light...
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2006 :  20:45:39  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Paul, awesome book! The last 3 chapters just rocked. That goes in the ultimate fighting highlights. The uniqueness of the monks was great too. I just thought you set the reader up the whole book for this great fight sequence. I can't wait for the next book. Oh, did Weaveshear's name change by the way?

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2006 :  01:17:03  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wandering_mage

Paul, awesome book! The last 3 chapters just rocked. That goes in the ultimate fighting highlights. The uniqueness of the monks was great too. I just thought you set the reader up the whole book for this great fight sequence. I can't wait for the next book. Oh, did Weaveshear's name change by the way?

Thanks, WM. I appreciate that.
Go to Top of Page

Delzounblood
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
578 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2006 :  10:42:35  Show Profile Send Delzounblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Paul

I finished reading your book last night, This book has been a complete and gripping read. BUT I need a list of all the books regarding Ervis, I must buy and read these.

I have not really got into the whole Shade business until now, I mainly stick to 2e and older novels, but I have really enjoyed this book and now I must build up my book collection with more recent books. Yours I feel will be first on my to buy list.

Thanks.

Delz

I'm Back!

Edited by - Delzounblood on 13 Dec 2006 10:43:09
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2006 :  14:08:22  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delzounblood

Paul

I finished reading your book last night, This book has been a complete and gripping read. BUT I need a list of all the books regarding Ervis, I must buy and read these.

Delz,

That's really wonderful to hear. I've been quite curious to hear from readers of Shadowbred who have not read the previous Cale stories. I was hoping Shadowbred could stand alone, and it seems to be doing so.

I'll list the Cale stories below, to save you the trouble of looking them up. I will also note that the books in the Sembia Series are soon to be re-released (though you can still find the original versions). Many readers, however, have emailed me and told me they started directly with The Erevis Cale Trilogy and had no problems following along. Anyway, here we go:

1. Cale's story starts with the novella "Resurrection," in The Halls of Stormweather, book one of the Sembia Series. Shadow's Witness, the first full-length novel featuring Cale (and Book II of the Sembia Series) follows. Again, you could skip these two and come back to them after the re-release if you find them difficult to locate.

2. The Erevis Cale Trilogy picks up next. The three books of the trilogy are Twilight Falling, Dawn of Night, and Midnight's Mask.

3. Then on to The Twilight War, the three books of which are Shadowbred (of which you are aware ), Shadowstorm (August '07), and Shadowrealm (sometime in '08).

Also, there are a couple/few short stories featuring Cale, but catching up on these is pretty much optional.

Dragon 277 features Cale in "Another Name for Dawn," the events of which are set in the time before the Sembia series (essentially, it's an origins story about Cale's time in Westgate).

Dragon 297 features Cale in All the Sinners Saints, the events of which are set in the time between the end of Shadow's Witness and the beginning of Twilight Falling. I regard this as an origins story of a different sort. WotC once posted this story online, and I believe (though I am not certain) that Candlekeep may have it on the site somewhere (it might also still be available at wizards.com).

Finally, my short story in Realms of Dragons (the anthology tied to Richard Lee Byer's excellent Year of Rogue Dragons Trilogy), is entitled Soulbound. While it does not feature Cale directly, it does feature some characters important to his ultimate story arc.

Whew!

Edited by - PaulSKemp on 13 Dec 2006 14:54:01
Go to Top of Page

Delzounblood
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
578 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2006 :  14:30:59  Show Profile Send Delzounblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
cool thanks paul.

I'll start to find and buy up all I can find now.

Welldone

Delz

I'm Back!
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2006 :  15:18:26  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll second that! I am going to want the Everis Cale Series in my Christmas stocking! Now to seek out these books and buy them. ::Wandering_mage jumps into the shadows and you hear a loud thump, he comes walking out of the shadows:: I guess I'll have to walk.

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2006 :  20:18:17  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wandering_mage

I'll second that! I am going to want the Everis Cale Series in my Christmas stocking! Now to seek out these books and buy them. ::Wandering_mage jumps into the shadows and you hear a loud thump, he comes walking out of the shadows:: I guess I'll have to walk.

Thanks, WM, and, uh, watch out for that wall.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2007 :  12:36:49  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just Finished reading Shadowbred

My favourite part was Cales "Discussion" with Mask in the Allay

I recently bought Fiendish Codex 2: Tyrants of the Nine Hells and given Shadowbreds ending wanted ask Paul whether he was going to use Mephistopheles involvement with Hellfire (See FC2) in Books 2 and 3?

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Proc
Acolyte

Canada
32 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2007 :  03:04:24  Show Profile  Visit Proc's Homepage Send Proc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First off Paul, I would like to add to the other glowing sentiments above, and say that this novel was fantastic. Erevis Cale has quickly become one of my favourite Realms characters, and I wouldn’t hesitate to put you in a group with Ed and Elaine as one of my favourite (and best) Realms authors.

I’ve read all of the other Cale books, (plus Resurrection) and one of the things I enjoy most about your writing is the dialogue – especially confrontational back-and-forth between opponents. The alley scene between Mask and Cale, and the great scene between Cale, Rivalen, Riven and Tamlin near the end. Mostly I like it because it feels “real” and not at all over the top or grandiose. My favourite line goes to Riven, with his: “Yap, yap, little dog.” – I’m not sure why this line had me smiling so much, maybe because it seemed to be a perfect taunt and really pissed off Rivalen. (And was it my imagination, or did you manage to work the word “shat” into a Realms novel?)

The only thing I don’t like is that I have to wait to get my hands on Shadowstorm…

"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house."
- George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2007 :  15:11:25  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

I recently bought Fiendish Codex 2: Tyrants of the Nine Hells and given Shadowbreds ending wanted ask Paul whether he was going to use Mephistopheles involvement with Hellfire (See FC2) in Books 2 and 3?

Dargoth,

It's hard to answer that question without revealing a bit more than I'd like. How about this: I did read a lot of material about Meph, including the entries in the BoVD and FC2, both of which mention the hellfire connection.

Paul
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2007 :  15:15:58  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Proc

I’ve read all of the other Cale books, (plus Resurrection) and one of the things I enjoy most about your writing is the dialogue – especially confrontational back-and-forth between opponents. The alley scene between Mask and Cale, and the great scene between Cale, Rivalen, Riven and Tamlin near the end. Mostly I like it because it feels “real” and not at all over the top or grandiose. My favourite line goes to Riven, with his: “Yap, yap, little dog.” – I’m not sure why this line had me smiling so much, maybe because it seemed to be a perfect taunt and really pissed off Rivalen. (And was it my imagination, or did you manage to work the word “shat” into a Realms novel?)

The only thing I don’t like is that I have to wait to get my hands on Shadowstorm…

Thank you, Proc. I appreciate that a great deal.

And that was not your imagination. I think (for whatever reason) that "shat" can fly, but change a vowel and you're shi...er...shat out of luck.
Go to Top of Page

Buzzcutter
Acolyte

16 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2007 :  15:41:54  Show Profile  Visit Buzzcutter's Homepage Send Buzzcutter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had purposely avoided this book club because i knew it would be along time until its sequel arrived. So i controlled my urges to buy it and instead waited until the xmas break. Now that im finshed with it im both glad that the wait will only be afew months until the next novel, but p*ssed for the same reason.

As with all the other Cale books i have pretty much the same gripes with this book - and that is that the book just ends as the heros find themselves in some kind of hell, and me having to wait a few months to see the resolution! I Salute you Mr. Kemp! You have tease me and left me for wanting yet again!

As for the characters, dito to what everyone else says about the Princes, speciffically, Rivalen. The Archwizards trilogy was my first, and to say it left me more than a little confused is an understatement. Ofcourse my fav character Is Riven, and while his role was great and understandable, i cant say i didnt miss him in the first parts of the book. His trademark sneer and spitting on the floor just brightens up a page in so many ways. Interesting that you described him as such with the hair and all...i remembered his eye being put out, but didnt recall any other clear description, and in my mind i always pictured his resmbling Cable of X-men fame.

Anyway, kudos to a job well done.
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2007 :  18:01:22  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Buzzcutter

Anyway, kudos to a job well done.

Thank you, Buzzcutter.

It's funny you mention the Riven description. Initially, I did not include much of a description, but my editor asked me to do so, to remind folks of Riven's appearance. Good call, it appears.
Go to Top of Page

shuman
Acolyte

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2007 :  03:24:51  Show Profile  Visit shuman's Homepage Send shuman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know I have seen stats for Riven, Cale, etc. but has anyone attempted a writeup of Magadon? Just curious. Paul? Oh Paul? Some clues perhaps? Thanks for the wonderful fiction!
Go to Top of Page

Conlon
Learned Scribe

Canada
132 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2007 :  00:35:27  Show Profile  Visit Conlon's Homepage Send Conlon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I picked up this book this week and finished it a few days later. I also had meant to hold off on it, knowing how long I would be tortured awaiting its sequel.... It appears as though my willpower is not what it should be, for now I find myself dragging my weary, tortured carcass around, mumbling nonsense about Mephistopheles, Rivalen, and being trapped in the Source.

Anyways, in my opinion, this was a fantastic book. It really sucks having to wait so long for the sequel, but I'm confident that it will be worth it. If you are reading this Mr. Kemp, please be careful crossing the street, chewing your food, and in the handling of any firearms. For God's sake man, finger off trigger, and watch that muzzle control! If, God forbid, anything were to happen to you or George R.R. Martin, I just don't think I could bear it!

My hopes are ashes, my dreams are dust. All my intentions mean nothing unless they are followed by action.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2007 :  23:59:37  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just finished this book--what can I say? It's awesome. It has complicated characters--do I need to say more? If RSE novels must be written, I don't think you can go wrong by having Mr. Kemp be the one to write them.

Oh, and I love how things don't get easier for Cale as he gains more power--he just gets beaten up more.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 04 Jul 2007 00:02:32
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2007 :  07:26:26  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know a lot of times fight scenes can get tedious, but the fight between Rivalen and Cale was great. I loved the description of the avasculate spell . . . Paul does an excellent job of incorporating a spell description into something really horrific

RF, you are certainly correct. Paul really does an excellent job of making the story compelling as a whole. Its not just the "RSE" elements that make you want to keep reading this, but the personal development of Cale and his allies, and the interesting new characters that show up, like the paladin of Lathander.

Edited by - KnightErrantJR on 04 Jul 2007 07:27:41
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2007 :  23:14:06  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

You know a lot of times fight scenes can get tedious, but the fight between Rivalen and Cale was great. I loved the description of the avasculate spell . . . Paul does an excellent job of incorporating a spell description into something really horrific

Agreed, and I think Rivalen is written here as an interesting antagonist--the kind I want to read more about.

quote:
RF, you are certainly correct. Paul really does an excellent job of making the story compelling as a whole. Its not just the "RSE" elements that make you want to keep reading this, but the personal development of Cale and his allies, and the interesting new characters that show up, like the paladin of Lathander.

And heck, even the villains are interesting. The development of actions and consequences is realistic in a good, believable way (ie. how a famine affects life in Sembia). I'm especially interested in learning what happens with Tamlin. This is the kind of book that I wish were longer. :)

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2007 :  23:48:51  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to say, I know that the Return of the Archwizards books seem to be a mixed bag as far as fans are concerned, but if Rivalen had been given this level of depth from the outset (or any of the princes other than Melegaunt), I think at least some of the more cynical fans might have been a bit more anxious to see the Shadovar as villains in other Realms books.

That having been said, Rivalen's brief appearance in Mistress of the Night was enough to pique my interest in the most spiritual of the princes, and I really liked that the events of that story tied into this one.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2007 :  00:33:07  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

I have to say, I know that the Return of the Archwizards books seem to be a mixed bag as far as fans are concerned, but if Rivalen had been given this level of depth from the outset (or any of the princes other than Melegaunt), I think at least some of the more cynical fans might have been a bit more anxious to see the Shadovar as villains in other Realms books.

I still haven't read those books. I might now, since this book has kindled my interest in the Shadovar.

quote:
That having been said, Rivalen's brief appearance in Mistress of the Night was enough to pique my interest in the most spiritual of the princes, and I really liked that the events of that story tied into this one.

I have to say, mentions of other stories like that make one feel a bit "rewarded" for having read them.

Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2007 :  16:36:57  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

I just finished this book--what can I say? It's awesome. It has complicated characters--do I need to say more? If RSE novels must be written, I don't think you can go wrong by having Mr. Kemp be the one to write them.

Oh, and I love how things don't get easier for Cale as he gains more power--he just gets beaten up more.

Rinonalyrna,

Thank you for the kind words. Needless to say, I'm delighted you enjoyed the novel. I hope Shadowstorm holds up well for you, too.

Paul
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000