Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 Whisper of Waves: Part 3 (Chapters 37-49)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2005 :  00:03:57  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met

This is a Book Club thread for Whisper of Waves. Please discuss Part Three (Chapters 37-49) herein:

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2005 :  20:58:02  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very short and sweet part. I believe this is the part in which Ivar meets the water naga? I really like the water naga, but as I mentioned in the Novels forum, it seems strange that Ivar is barely suspicious of her once he finds out her true nature. I know it's good to be open-minded about other creatures, but isn't this a bit ridiculous? Knowing that one is in control of one's fate goes hand in hand--IMHO--with being careful about things and caring about one's own survival, as you cannot rely on the gods or "Destiny" to keep you alive to do what you want. And there is nothing wrong with that.

Another character I'm not overly fond of--Phyrea, although she nicely complicates Willem's story (which is way more interesting than Ivar's, by the way). The way she is described as being so perfect, physically, just plain annoys me. That, and she is your typical "clever" thief who can talk her way out of everything, apparently, since ever guard I've seen so far in the novel is both young and stupid. I'd love, for once, to have an older, more hardened guard say "All right miss, I've heard it all before--cut the crap and put the [insert stolen object here] down or I WILL shoot you."

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 07 Nov 2005 20:58:49
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2005 :  23:10:24  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Another character I'm not overly fond of--Phyrea, although she nicely complicates Willem's story (which is way more interesting than Ivar's, by the way). The way she is described as being so perfect, physically, just plain annoys me. That, and she is your typical "clever" thief who can talk her way out of everything, apparently, since ever guard I've seen so far in the novel is both young and stupid. I'd love, for once, to have an older, more hardened guard say "All right miss, I've heard it all before--cut the crap and put the [insert stolen object here] down or I WILL shoot you."

Well ya know, I really liked Phyrea after this opening scene The leather-clad egg thief was great. I loved how she threw the oil and blew the guards head clean off The escape and charade about not getting the egg was well done too.

Willem really took me by surprise in this part, when he poisoned Senetor Khonsu! I didn't think he had it in him, and to be so calm about it too. Great scene!

I wasn't so keen with the whole naga scene, although I did like how the big plan to build the canal would affect other parties. How Thay would not want it to happen as they sell portal access to merchants etc. This is what I was expecting from this book (maybe it'll come later in the trilogy), where other organizations and powers try to stop the building of the canel. It was a good informative scene, but just odd with a naga

I've brought this up at Candlekeep before - At one point in this part of the book, Willem calls Devorast an athiest. How can anyone in the Realms be an athiest when there is evidence that gods clearly do exist. Priests can prove this everyday, and with the avatar crisis....well, nuff said!

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2005 :  23:13:37  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I quite liked the gruesome scene when Marek meets Thadat and Kurtssun appears behind him, cleavers his arm off at the elbow and hacks him to death whilst he was within a spell of silence. Very nasty.

A sad scene where Fharaud dies. I really liked this character and his fate was very tragic. Very sad how he died. Nicely described how he heard Devorast say goodbye just as he had passed over

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2005 :  04:17:02  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I dislike Phyrea, but at the same time, I cannot deny that she interests me. Frankly, I think she might well be psychotic.

As for atheist: I see a Realms atheist as someone who doesn't pay any attention to the gods.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2005 :  15:09:25  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Phyrea is definately showing signs of psychosis. She does dangerous things so that she actually feels something, she has had thouhts of killing her father in his sleep, and she cuts herself when she gets frustrated. Ironically, we are so used to quirky and over the top villains that we might miss the signs that an author gives us to a real world disorder that a character might have.

Ivar doesn't bother me, and in fact he is the most interesting character in the book for me. I can buy him not being afraid of a water naga more that I can buy him being automatically competent in battle. I think its interesting that the Naga is now trying to explain to him how other HUMANS think.

As far as Willem goes, I think this goes back to Fharaud says about someone needing to become a second rate human before he becomes a first rate monster. He is starting down this path now, as a petty poisoner and a double crosser as far as his relationships go. I just wonder if Willem will fully realize how low he has sunk or if he will always think that what he does is perfectly justified.

As far as an athiest in the Realms, think if it this way. If you beleive in the gods, and trust in at least one to show you the right path for your life, you are a beleiver. If you beleive that the gods serve a purpose, but you don't know if everything that is said about them is true, or if their purpose is what is commonly beleived about them, and you have no real patron, you are an agnostic. If you think that you have seen a lot of powerful creatures, and you have see a lot of magic, and that the gods may exist, but what differentiates them from, say, fiends and celestials, or powerful wizards of any race, and you don't beleive they have any purpose but to get in the way of mortals and distract them from their potential, you could very well have earned the title of athiest.
Go to Top of Page

Starchaserva
Acolyte

10 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2008 :  19:43:47  Show Profile  Visit Starchaserva's Homepage Send Starchaserva a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To paraphrase the great Terry Pratchet "the gods had a habit of going round to atheists' houses and smashing their windows" It's not that you can really deny the gods exist, I think it means more along the lines of "I don't pay fealty to a certain one"

So far, with this book, I've been disappointed. It took me half the novel to even decide which character I was supposed to root for, and I feel I was let down when I found out that Ivar's main goal was to build a canal. That seems weak to me. I do like the Black Dragon more than any other character. Phyrea totally annoyed me, as she seems like a very cliched character. She's physically perfect, can have anything she wants, lives in a mansion, and cuts herself and sleeps around to wrangles emotional responses from people like her father. I just can't bring myself to care about anything that happens to her. However, the descriptions can be very well done, if you ignore certain character inconsistancies.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2010 :  08:34:46  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I find Ivar extremely DIFFICULT to believe... Marek is the only character I like in this book.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000