Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Deepspawn questions..
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Besshalar
Learned Scribe

Finland
166 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2006 :  10:38:11  Show Profile  Visit Besshalar's Homepage Send Besshalar a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I was wondering if anyone has any information concerning the number of spawns a single deepspawn might have ? Also I would be interested in any information that anyone might have as to where they came from.

The large print giveth , and the small print taketh away.
-Tom Waits

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1072 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2006 :  13:01:36  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Deepspawn info. chek this out

The creature
http://www.planetadnd.com/interactive_books/mm00045.php

Bords
http://boards1.wizards.com/archive/index.php/t-543173.html
http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=543173

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1

Edited by - Victor_ograygor on 04 Nov 2006 13:02:28
Go to Top of Page

Besshalar
Learned Scribe

Finland
166 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2006 :  13:51:35  Show Profile  Visit Besshalar's Homepage Send Besshalar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for those links especially for the 2nd edition version one... But my original question still stands is there any other limit to the number of spawns/deepspawn other than sufficient foodsupply . And also could a deepspawn basicly just eat one powerful creature and then live on pizzas and spawn that one over and over ?

-Tom Waits
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2006 :  14:04:12  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I cant remember hearing of there being a limit to the number of spawns, but then again I am not really that updated on the newer material for the game.
Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1072 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2006 :  16:02:12  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry about the wrong link.
In Lost Empires of Faerūn page 167, there is no mentioning about maximum limit to the number of spawns. But under organization it say“s : Solitary ore brood (1plus 3-6 spawn).

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1

Edited by - Victor_ograygor on 04 Nov 2006 16:02:41
Go to Top of Page

Besshalar
Learned Scribe

Finland
166 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2006 :  16:54:54  Show Profile  Visit Besshalar's Homepage Send Besshalar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I must be blind that I didn't see that ... Oh well I'll just have to make an advanced version of the deepspawn. for a nice little village encounter......

-Tom Waits
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2006 :  17:43:36  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Victor_ograygor

In Lost Empires of Faerūn page 167, there is no mentioning about maximum limit to the number of spawns. But under organization it sais: Solitary or brood (1plus 3-6 spawn).

Monsters of Fearun page 32, lists the deepspawn as well. It does no mention a limit tothe numbers of spawns either. However under section organization it sais:

(1 plus 3-24 spawns)

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2006 :  17:52:40  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The problem is that these are just how many the creature keeps close; the maximum number of creatures could be higher. This is one of Ed's creatures if I remember correctly, so the question could always be put to him. With the work burden he has the answer could be long coming, although he will get to it sooner or later.
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2006 :  08:30:53  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do not remember (as of 2nd Edition) there being a limit on the number of creatures that a deepspawn can create. It can produce armies if need be, as long as the deepspawn is properly watered, cared for, and loved (well, perhaps not loved).
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2006 :  11:03:42  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The one thing I always wondered about is what the Deepspawns motivations and goals are. They are chaotic evil creatures of genius intelligence capable of spewing out their own armies, still we hardly hear about them except when they are being used as tools by creatures of probably lesser brains. Except for the creature featured in War in Tethyr I can not remember hearing of any plots or conflicts involving free willed deep spawn since the ancient ages of the dwarves.
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2006 :  22:14:08  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote

probably because they are potentially so dangerous that everyone in the area they are operating in, regardless of their usual relationships with each other join up to eradicate the threat?

also I can't see why they can't be acting behind the scenes - indeed if you assume that people will join together to hunt them down as something that needs to be eradicated then it makes sense that we don't hear much about them

Cheers

Damo

quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

. They are chaotic evil creatures of genius intelligence capable of spewing out their own armies, still we hardly hear about them except when they are being used as tools by creatures of probably lesser brains. Except for the creature featured in War in Tethyr I can not remember hearing of any plots or conflicts involving free willed deep spawn since the ancient ages of the dwarves.

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2006 :  03:48:19  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with what you are saying, my point is that then I would like to hear some of their plots and motivations. Especially when they are being used by certain nobles and Wizards to create creatures at their will and the Zentharim to create trouble. The role we have seen them take until now in realms lore is as spawning machines; but what do they use their extreme intelligence for? It is possible that their minds are so alien that their actions and motives are inscrutable to mortals, but i am still curious. You have a species extremely powerful evil geniuses that's only visible role is to be copying machines for wizards, so what are the creatures reactions to this, do they plot in silence against their captors or are they happy as long as they are getting fed?
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2006 :  20:28:09  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I doubt any sentient creature likes to be imprisoned against their will - I have always assumed spells/prayers keep them enthralled

of course one that is captured young and is 'domesticated', kept well fed and know's nothing different may be more 'content' with its life and 'accept' its fate?

I can see a lucrative trade for adventurers capturing immature deepspawn and selling them

Cheers

Damo

quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

I agree with what you are saying, my point is that then I would like to hear some of their plots and motivations. Especially when they are being used by certain nobles and Wizards to create creatures at their will and the Zentharim to create trouble. The role we have seen them take until now in realms lore is as spawning machines; but what do they use their extreme intelligence for? It is possible that their minds are so alien that their actions and motives are inscrutable to mortals, but i am still curious. You have a species extremely powerful evil geniuses that's only visible role is to be copying machines for wizards, so what are the creatures reactions to this, do they plot in silence against their captors or are they happy as long as they are getting fed?

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005

Edited by - crazedventurers on 08 Nov 2006 20:29:14
Go to Top of Page

Besshalar
Learned Scribe

Finland
166 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2006 :  10:31:26  Show Profile  Visit Besshalar's Homepage Send Besshalar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh yes the campaign is already being written with the rise of the deepspawn...

-Tom Waits
Go to Top of Page

Exploit
Acolyte

Canada
47 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2006 :  20:01:20  Show Profile  Visit Exploit's Homepage Send Exploit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, I really like the idea of investigating the ecology, motivations and goals of deepspawn. I was only planning on having my PC use the deepspawn as monster-spewing minions in my latest conquer the world scheme but as an aside I think I will pursue this investigation as well.

I'll post whatever information my DM and I come up with on this thread if anyone is interested. It's not canon of course but I'll do my best to incorporate all canon into our results.

Note: Extrapolating upon what I have read, my theory is that deepspawn were created by Moander.

As a way out there extrapolation, my theory is that Moander was a beholder mage obsessed with replicating his own perfect form. Unsatisfied with typical clone spells which could only clone his perfect form after he was dead, Moander pushed the limits of magic to find a way to produce loyal clones while he was still alive.

My theory continues that in the Spawning Deep abyss, sometime between -7600 and -4400 DR, Moander created the deepspawn and successfully cloned himself. Worshipped by his own clones and the deepspawn, Moander ascended to godhood unbeknownst to the rest of Faerun. The rest of the Moander tale is well documented in realms lore.
Go to Top of Page

Exploit
Acolyte

Canada
47 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2006 :  20:05:56  Show Profile  Visit Exploit's Homepage Send Exploit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most esteemed Mythrellaa, Red Wizard of Thay, Zulkir of Illusion, by your hand may the Lady of Loss claim the souls of all your enemies before your own. As agreed by our sending negotiations, I reveal to you the secrets of the origins of the deepspawn which my research has uncovered thus far in exchange for the secrets of the Shadow Weave which you have promised. May the fulfilment of the Dark Goddess's vision be expedited by this secret exchange.

On the Origins of the Deepspawn

One of the oldest known historical references to deepspawn was in -4400 DR when drow are recorded as having summoned deepspawn into Elven Court as part of a massacre of of elves and dwarves that is sometimes known as the Dark Court Slaughter. [TSR1165 pg 26]

Predating this reference however is the claim that the Gold Dwarves from the Deep Realm originally discovered the deepspawn in the subterannean caverns under the Eastern Shaar. [MoF pg 33].

Given that the Gold Dwarves explored the caverns under Eastern Shaar and founded the Deep Realm circa -7600 DR [RoF p. 11,12] this places the discovery of deepspawn in Faerun sometime between -7600 and -4400 DR.

I believe it is beyond coincidence that in the Underdark, deep under the Eastern Shaar where deepspawn were first discovered, there is an abyss called the Spawning Deep. The similarity of names leads me to believe that this abyss is the likely first location where the deepspawn were discovered.

However, there is a second origin to the deepspawn race since in 75 DR, Moander the Darkbringer is recorded as having magically twisted numerous followers and victims into deepspawn to be used in his attack on the elven city of Tsornyl. [TSR1165 pg 36]

It is possible that Moander's magic was merely duplicating the form of an already existing race of deepspawn however it is also possible that deepspawn were of the god's own design and that he was the progenitor of this entire race. I believe the latter is the more probable scenario.

Thus far my research has revealed little about when Moander first appeared in Faerun which could help in proving or disproving my hypothesis. I have however discovered a historical reference to an attack on the town of Hillsafar, now known as Hillsfar, by deepspawn-bred monsters in 679 DR. [FRCS 169]

At the time, one of the reasons for founding Hillsafar was to maintain vigilance over Moander's Crypt and no other town in the area was attacked by deepspawn-bred monsters. This would give further circumstantial evidence towards a strong link between deepspawn and Moander. This link of course might only exist in the deepspawn converted by Moander 600 years previous and their descendants.

If my hypothesis as to the origins of the deepspawn species are correct then one would suspect to find further secrets to the power of Moander and the deepspawn species in the Spawning Deep. I am currently seeking a copy of the Lesser Planar Binding spell so that I can send some minions to further investigate the Spawning Deep for the glory of Shar. I shall of course keep you advised of my progress.

Apex, Red Wizard of Thay

Edited by - Exploit on 31 Dec 2006 20:17:06
Go to Top of Page

Cbad285
Learned Scribe

160 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2008 :  07:15:10  Show Profile Send Cbad285 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My question is on the sentience of spawned creatures. If indeed one of them were to escape the Deepspawn, what then?

"Beware the Dream Fever!"

Edited by - Cbad285 on 25 Oct 2009 09:29:31
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2008 :  13:47:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, THO said this:

quote:
A Deepspawn duplicates a particular orc (or human, or whatever) it has devoured: endless copies of exactly the same creature. They "come alive" knowing their bodies and how to use them (a human trained with a longsword could use it just as before death), but without prior memories (wizards don't have memorized spells, and human copy A meeting human copy B might say: "You look a lot like my reflection in yon pool," but WOULDN'T immediately say: "Hey, you're me!"
If that helps. That's the way Ed (who created Deepspawn) has always run them, anyway. We Knights ran into quite a few of them.
love,
THO

It's also been mentioned that some of the dwarves "cloned" during the Spawn Wars wound up breeding with other dwarves.

I think that if the spawn of a deepspawn was allowed to do its own thing, then it would go off and do whatever occurred to it. I'd say that it would be quite likely to follow in the footsteps of its original, but it could do something else, too, depending on its own circumstances.

I don't think there would be anything special or distinctive about the spawn of a deepspawn.

Oh, and I normally ignore typos and misspellings, but "bowls of evil" is a really fun visual. The proper phrase is "bowels of evil" -- which is a whole different kind of visual, if you think about it.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Cbad285
Learned Scribe

160 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2008 :  06:48:07  Show Profile Send Cbad285 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I might have had a bowl of evil for breakfeast this morning.
I just kicked my dog in the throat for eating my candy bar.

jk, i love my dog.

"Beware the Dream Fever!"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000