Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Info on the siege on Arabel
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2008 :  23:29:22  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I've only heard that Arabel was hit hard and suffered maybe more than other city in Cormyr during the Goblin assaults relating to the Dragon-War in 1371.

Could anyone please elaborate on this a bit more. Was the city actually evacuated and lost to the enemy? Who when and how was it reclaimed? Any info around these events would be of great interest to me.

Don't mind any possible spoilers from any of the novels as long as you can help me out here.

Thanks in advance, Ergdusch

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2008 :  03:47:19  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think they evacuated the whole population via a giant magical gate... I have a hazy recollection of that part of the novel. This novel would have benefitted a LOT from overall Cormyr maps showing troop movements, and close-up maps showing sieges around cities, and the various trips and events happening in the Stonelands. Man was I confused trying to picture and keep track of the events happening all at once over Faerun!!!

Edit: if Ed/THO could grace us with their individual or collective insights on the matter, I'm sure everyone would appreciate!

Edited by - Purple Dragon Knight on 20 Mar 2008 03:48:17
Go to Top of Page

tauster
Senior Scribe

Germany
399 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2008 :  11:21:20  Show Profile  Visit tauster's Homepage Send tauster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Even if it's a bit off-topic to Erdgusch's question: Is there a detailed timeline for the events in Cormyr 1371 and following? I've read the Cormyr Triology (years ago) but never had the time to piece the informations there together into a timeline. I'm looking for one that details the events with more or less exact dates (day and month, if possible).
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2008 :  14:32:42  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know Brian R. James worked out a history/timeline specifically for Cormyr. However, it does not detail all the events of the Year of the Unsprung Harp (1371) but merely spents one sentence on those events:

see here: http://www.geonomicon.com/chronology/temporum/cormyr.htm (viewed with Internet Explorer only)

Such a thing as a detailed timeline would be great, indeed!

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2008 :  19:21:20  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Brian's timelines are composed of pre-published timelines, so until one is done in another source, it won't be added in.

I'm re-reading that series now, trying to find locals for the Cormyr map I'm doing... and guess what?

Its loaded with inconsistencies!

I think thats why no-one tried mapping that war; it didn't make sense. I've come across a few 'passes' I never heard of, and some of the Stonelands stuff contradicts other sources.

Still... I'll do my best to make it work.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2008 :  11:02:07  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Brian's timelines are composed of pre-published timelines, so until one is done in another source, it won't be added in.

I'm re-reading that series now, trying to find locals for the Cormyr map I'm doing... and guess what?

Its loaded with inconsistencies!

I think thats why no-one tried mapping that war; it didn't make sense. I've come across a few 'passes' I never heard of, and some of the Stonelands stuff contradicts other sources.

Still... I'll do my best to make it work.

Well, that is great to hear - especially the 'Cormyr-Mapping' part!

Keep up the work andwhile you are at it you might want to leave some info on the war around Arabel here.

Ergdusch

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2008 :  00:19:01  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually on the second book ATM; I think the Arabel stuff comes in the final novel, IIRC.

Found some intersting tidbits about the Elven Realm of Uvarean and their burial rights, which I referred over to Dagnirion for his Realms of the Elves project.

So far, I found a village, two passes, a pair of Mountains, and a Keep I didn't have before.

BTW, is Ergdusch a family name, or does it mean something? If you don't want to tell me, I understand - I'm just insatiably curious about stuff.

--- Mark

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 22 Mar 2008 00:22:21
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2008 :  12:55:47  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just to revive this scroll again: any infos that have surfaced as of today?

Go to Top of Page

rjfras
Learned Scribe

261 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2008 :  23:37:21  Show Profile  Visit rjfras's Homepage Send rjfras a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

I've only heard that Arabel was hit hard and suffered maybe more than other city in Cormyr during the Goblin assaults relating to the Dragon-War in 1371.

Could anyone please elaborate on this a bit more. Was the city actually evacuated and lost to the enemy? Who when and how was it reclaimed? Any info around these events would be of great interest to me.

Don't mind any possible spoilers from any of the novels as long as you can help me out here.

Thanks in advance, Ergdusch

What happened is more or less in the FRCS (pgs 112 & 114). Exact days or months is another story.. I am actually looking for that myself, which is how I came across this post, looking for a bit more specific dates then it happened in 1372... ie:
what month was did the siege of Arabel start?
what month did the finally all leave and it was overrun?
what month was it retaken?

"During the goblin war, Arabel was evacuated to Suzail with the help of magic and the city was occupied for several months by an army of orcs and goblins. yada yada yada Arabel's lord, Myrmeen Lhan, known as they Lady Lord, swore to reclaim her city. Despite the loss of her left arm, and subsequent restoration, she spent the last few months collecting mercanaries, rangers, scouts and adventuring bands for that purpose, then forced the orcs from the city.
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2008 :  07:37:34  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have purchased and read the relevant novel Death of the Dragon to these events by now. Therefore I can elaborate on your queries a little bit.

1. What month did the siege of Arabel start?
There are no dates at the beginning of each chapter. Further, there are no indications in the book that would narrow down the options.
The FR-Library places the events of the novel in 1371 DR, btw. I would place it in late spring or early summer of that year, and lasting no longer than a month or two.
2. What month did the finally all leave and it was overrun?
Arabel was evacuated through a magical gate. Purple Dragons were moved through it from Suzail to Arabel while the arabelean citizens were likewise and simultaneously moved from Arabel to Suzail. (See chapt. 19 of the novel).
3. What month was it retaken?
There is no further info on the retaking of Arabel that I know of aside from the FRCS entry.

Go to Top of Page

rjfras
Learned Scribe

261 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2008 :  16:33:56  Show Profile  Visit rjfras's Homepage Send rjfras a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well, from speculations on other topics, they have kinda nailed down the death of Azoun IV at 11 Mirtul, and the Cormyr forces had suffered defeat after defeat per the FRCS, so I would have to say early spring as a starting point there abouts... to give the goblins and orcs time to advance, cormyr to muster it's troops, fight a few battles where the orcs/goblins won before Azoun met the dragon on the field of battle...

I haven't read the books but I'm guessing that at some point after Azoun and the dragon were killed and Tanalasta defeated the ghzaneths is when the Cormyrian forces finally started to get the upper hand on the goblins and orcs and were able to push them back far enough north that Lhal was then able to concentrate more on getting Arabel back after months of it being occupied by said orcs and goblins.

if we go also go by the words used, Arabel was occupied for several months (usually meaning between 5-7) and Lhal spent the last few months (usually meaning 3 or 4) that there was anywhere between 1 to 3 months that the orcs and goblins held Arabel with no real resistance, and then another few months while Lhal was building up the force to take it back, and then the time it took to force the orcs and goblins out of of the city proper and into the surrounding countryside and forests.

Yes, I knew the events took place in 1371 (fat finger) though I've seen some place the actual start of the Goblin War in 1370 and continued into 1371, not sure how accurate that is...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000