Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Of Athkatla
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ranin
Seeker

88 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2006 :  23:41:48  Show Profile  Visit Ranin's Homepage Send Ranin a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I have always wondered why Athkatla, the so called prominent City of Coin with colonial power in Maztica, does'nt appear in the maps of the Sword Coast in the novel, the Halfling's Gem? They show the coastline from Waterdeep or a northen city all the way to Memnon and Calimport. Perhaps they did'nt think it was important as Drizzt and his band never stopped there?

Listen to the silence of the wilds, in there lies the wisdom of ages.

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2006 :  23:49:10  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, at the time they weren't a colonial power in Maztica, but that likely has little to do with the story one way or the other, other than knowing that its set a ways before those events. I would say since the city didn't figure into the novel, it didn't make the map.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2006 :  00:15:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Agrees with KEJR.

Most novel maps have a tendency to include only sites that are featured in the novel itself, or at least receive some mention within the book. Now, its been a while since I've read "The Halfling's Gem", but as I recall... Memnon is mentioned, and we know what part Calimport plays in the books.

Athkatla wasn't marked, simply, because it wasn't a necessary feature of the story. It has happened before, as I recall, with the maps in some of Elaine's books leaving off important locales.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 03 Nov 2006 00:18:08
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2006 :  00:46:15  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anyway, when The Halfling's Gem was published, I think only one person working at TSR, Jeff Grubb, would even have known what Athkatla was.
Go to Top of Page

Ranin
Seeker

88 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2006 :  21:00:53  Show Profile  Visit Ranin's Homepage Send Ranin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes...I just thought of that now. I still think adding nearby cities is a good thing to do, just to give the readers a geographical perspective on what they're reading. Besides, if every author were to bypass prominent cities simply because they are irrelevant, it would'nt be very enlightening geographically.

Listen to the silence of the wilds, in there lies the wisdom of ages.
Go to Top of Page

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2006 :  12:14:44  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thats what you have sourcebooks for ... Novels aren't ment to be enlightening about anything but what shows up in it

what happened to the queen? she's much more hysterical than usual
She's a women, it happens once a month
Go to Top of Page

Zimme
Learned Scribe

Denmark
209 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2006 :  09:58:58  Show Profile Send Zimme a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah but the novels are good for adding spice to the surroundings, true the autors follow a plotline, but that does not mean that one cant use the area's and other factors in ones campaigns.

Sometimes I feel like Beshaba is sitting on my back, devoting her entire attention to me!

Rannek.

Go to Top of Page

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2006 :  12:27:01  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yeah ... novels are good for spice ... but spice can't be counted on alone

what happened to the queen? she's much more hysterical than usual
She's a women, it happens once a month
Go to Top of Page

Zimme
Learned Scribe

Denmark
209 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2006 :  12:30:51  Show Profile Send Zimme a Private Message  Reply with Quote
of course not. :) but a combination of the two.

Sometimes I feel like Beshaba is sitting on my back, devoting her entire attention to me!

Rannek.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000