Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Heros feast in Arabel
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bitter thorn
Learned Scribe

USA
184 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2006 :  04:37:14  Show Profile  Visit bitter thorn's Homepage Send bitter thorn a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I plan on running a feast for the returning heros of Into the Dragons Lair. They have returned with Nalavara's hoard to Arabel, and I'm runing a role playing session or two that will encompass the ensuing revelry.

Lady Myrmeen Lhal will be hosting the feast and the surviving party includes a Purple Dragon Knight/Battle Priest of Cormyr, a Purple Dragon Knight/Knight of the Order of the Aster, a War Wizard, a Nar Ranger/Horse Sister, and a couple of elves and a dwarf may also be attending.

I'd love to get some feedback about customs, ettiquete and RP brain storming.

I assume armor and most weapons would not be proper for such a revel. A blade or two per guest would be allowed I imagine.

Is there a particular War Wizard that typically attends Lord Lhal? Can some one suggest any interesting court and military personalities that might be about?

Thanks in advance!

"Nobody listens to the Ranger!"

Our groups are all sticking with 3.X classic Realms.

bitter thorn
Learned Scribe

USA
184 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2006 :  04:38:44  Show Profile  Visit bitter thorn's Homepage Send bitter thorn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've aleady got Volo's guide to Corymr which can be downloaded, for free, here: http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/2/f...ds/tsr9486.zip

Go to Top of Page

bitter thorn
Learned Scribe

USA
184 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2006 :  04:39:37  Show Profile  Visit bitter thorn's Homepage Send bitter thorn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Who is the current Warden of the Eastern Marches, BTW?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2006 :  05:37:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
An example of such a noble-hosted feast was played out in the novel Stormlight (Chap. IV), at Firefall Keep in Cormyr.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 27 Oct 2006 05:38:05
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2006 :  05:43:15  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The current Warden of the Eastern Marches is (as of Cormyr: A Novel) Dauneth Marliir.
Go to Top of Page

bitter thorn
Learned Scribe

USA
184 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2006 :  10:15:11  Show Profile  Visit bitter thorn's Homepage Send bitter thorn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

The current Warden of the Eastern Marches is (as of Cormyr: A Novel) Dauneth Marliir.

Thank you both. I'm having a devil of a time finding Stormlight locally, and I prefere to support local businesses when possable.

Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2006 :  10:27:09  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To through in my own thoughts on this matter (helpful or not is for you to decide):
As to customs for Armor and swords at revels such as this: I assume that very important people would have a special weapon and Armor for such occassions to show of. Most Kings did have such things in medival times as far as I know, to show their status and their might & wealth.

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2006 :  13:39:40  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As for the weapons and armor question, for a revel or feast, while a ceremonial, symbolic, or otherwise appropriate weapon (that is, ornate, beautiful, Crown-gifted, etc.) would be allowed for chartered adventurers, knights, or nobles to wear, this is very likely going to be limited to a dagger, sword (one-handed only, not a greatsword or bastard sword), or staff, and then only one per adventurer--two if one of them is a dagger. Lances, axes, spears, halberds, and other clearly warlike weapons would be banned, being too obviously violent and not "courtly" enough. The same goes for any ranged weapons.

Armor would be out as well, with the possible exception of leathers or chain that is worn beneath one's clothing. Hide, plate, helms, gauntlets, and the like are all right out, although knights of the realm might have velvet-sheathed gauntlets or similar items that let them bear some protection.

Magical amulets, boots (leather, not appearing armored), necklaces, gloves (again, not gauntlets), belts, cloaks and circlets are all the sorts of things that would be permitted, provided that they are lovely enough to make the "fashion cut." Eyes (those magical lenses), goggles, masks, helms, gauntlets and armor would not. Bracers are a "maybe" item--they depend on design and function more than anything.

Basically, the adventurers can be protected or ready for conflict if it comes, but they can in no way appear to be prepared for such conflict. Myrmeen, being a "former" adventurer and understanding their plight, might be willing to provide a (thrice-guarded) storage hall just off the main revel, that the conquering heroes can use to obtain better gear should something break out, but for the most part, your party will likely feel a little "naked"--and probably should.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000