Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Diamond Size
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2019 :  15:24:10  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In my realms my money economy is such: Copper is coin of poor and they pay mostly with them for things they need daily. Silver is coin of middle class and Gold coin is high class expense for daily needs. Tradebars and gems are a way to keep large sum of money on person so they start at 20gp and go higer. There are cheaper gems but they are not considered for this purpose and are mainly used for jewels, clothing and other garments enrichment.
Tradebars are for lower amounts usualy in form of 20/50/100gp value, gems are usualy from 50gp to 5000gp depending on their quality. It is not so rare to find a 2000gp gem in treasury of a noble or businessman. Price is based on purity, size and shape (cut/fitting). In regards to their size all of those are half a fingerbone and larger as it is highly impractical to transport smaller ones (easy to loose). So 10000gp gem would be large crown stile piece that you will not miss wit size of the fist. For any larger sums they use magic items in a way RL uses antiquities. All forms of payment beyond tradebars are prone to change of price based on location you use them - +-20% for gems and possible no-buyer situation for others.
In Realms there are whole nations living underground using gems as currency and there is a whole elemental plane of earth to fill it with gems so I think there should be much more gems than in RL. For that RL equivalent I use 1gp=40USD, a trade ship or a city house is about 10000gp. It is also a price for permanent magical item of some power (sword +2/boots of elvenkind).
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000