Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Gods and Their Power
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BrennonGoldeye
Learned Scribe

105 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2019 :  15:30:52  Show Profile Send BrennonGoldeye a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met all!

I recently read an article either here at Candlekeep or possibly on one of the Member side sites about Gods and their use of "XP" to power their abilities and Immortality. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Thanks!

Sam Noe

Sam

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2019 :  16:51:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BrennonGoldeye

Well met all!

I recently read an article either here at Candlekeep or possibly on one of the Member side sites about Gods and their use of "XP" to power their abilities and Immortality. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Thanks!

Sam Noe

Not something I'm familiar with.

How would a god gain XP, aside from using their power and abilities?

I now have a crazed image of Tempus, Mystra, Mask, and Ilmater as an adventuring party, slogging their way through a dungeon full of kobolds and flumphs, and then arguing over who gets the ring of protection +2 that they found.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2019 :  17:09:10  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only rules I know of would be The Immortals Boxed Set from TSR where “gods” use their experience points to do many things.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

BrennonGoldeye
Learned Scribe

105 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2019 :  17:28:36  Show Profile Send BrennonGoldeye a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Well met all!

Thanks!

Sam Noe

I now have a crazed image of Tempus, Mystra, Mask, and Ilmater as an adventuring party, slogging their way through a dungeon full of kobolds and flumphs, and then arguing over who gets the ring of protection +2 that they found.

Bwahahaha, not like that Wolly. "XP" from worshipers and things that advance Their portfolio. I think I saw it while digging into the DMs guild page or possibly one of the Alternate pages of an elder member. It made such perfect sense.

Sam
Go to Top of Page

BrennonGoldeye
Learned Scribe

105 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2019 :  17:35:14  Show Profile Send BrennonGoldeye a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

The only rules I know of would be The Immortals Boxed Set from TSR where “gods” use their experience points to do many things.

I played that back in the day. It may have just been a 2E or 3E version of that. I know its somewhere on here.

Sam
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6354 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2019 :  18:40:47  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I vaguely remember trying to come up with a formula to account for all the things a deity has been known to do in FR (create avatars, manifest spells, build a divine realm, move a realm, etc). It was all based off the immortals handbook (which I think dalor pointed me towards originally.

It was the only rational way I could find of explaining how deities work without the use of the element handwaivium

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

BrennonGoldeye
Learned Scribe

105 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2019 :  21:32:54  Show Profile Send BrennonGoldeye a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Dallison

I vaguely remember trying to come up with a formula to account for all the things a deity has been known to do in FR (create avatars, manifest spells, build a divine realm, move a realm, etc). It was all based off the immortals handbook (which I think dalor pointed me towards originally.

It was the only rational way I could find of explaining how deities work without the use of the element handwaivium

Yeah, I think it might have been yours Gary but I cant find it in you stuff :(

Sam
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6354 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2019 :  21:51:29  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Il see if I can find it, but to be honest I could have posted it anywhere.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1486 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2019 :  02:51:04  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Well met all!

Thanks!

Sam Noe

Bane, Bhaal and Myrkul, veteran adventurers, find their realms invaded every so often by that adventuring party.

Bhaal: "I found Tempus on my doorstep this morning with a bunch of severed solar heads in a burlap sack, asking me how much the bounty was for each one."

Bane: "That's nothing, Mystra teleported into my throne room insisting that she found my old mace and wanted to know how much XP she'd earned."

Myrkul: "...Guys, have we become the NPCs?"

Bhaal: "You worry too much, Myrkul. All I did was give Tempus some junk I...found...in my treasury..."

Bane: "Dear AO, we are NPCS! Worse, we're quest givers!"
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2019 :  03:20:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Myrkul hasn't been the same since he took that arrow to the knee.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

BrennonGoldeye
Learned Scribe

105 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2019 :  16:39:41  Show Profile Send BrennonGoldeye a Private Message  Reply with Quote
TYVM all for the giggles.. I took Gary's advice and went back to the original source.

Sam

Sam
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2019 :  19:51:36  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

TYVM all for the giggles.. I took Gary's advice and went back to the original source.

Sam

Which original source? The Immortals Boxed Set?

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2019 :  22:27:13  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, there's all the old (Basic) D&D Immortals Rules stuff.

If you like them them also check out Eternity Publishing. Immortals Handbook: Ascension and Immortals Handbook: Epic Bestiary Volume 1 (Volume 2 was never published).

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

BrennonGoldeye
Learned Scribe

105 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2019 :  15:24:21  Show Profile Send BrennonGoldeye a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

quote:

Sam

Which original source? The Immortals Boxed Set?

Yup

Sam
Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2019 :  15:28:26  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I sow it somewhere. It was a sort of virtual economy for godly powers with income from worship and expanses for any supernatural activity. I do not see a need for such so I have no idea where it was besides it was in these halls...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000