Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The Steamier Side of the Realms (PG-13)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

xaviera
Learned Scribe

Canada
149 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2009 :  17:07:53  Show Profile  Visit xaviera's Homepage Send xaviera a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Icelander
Self-denial is a pretty basic tool for mystics. By giving up certain pleasures, people feel more holy and more in touch with their god.

It makes perfect sense to me that there would be religious orders in the Realms with tenets of chastity and or celibacy, as long as it fit the god.

Basically, this.

On an individual basis, some people may prefer abstinence for many reasons, some of which were mentioned previously. The most logical would be to focus on the development of spiritual, magical or martial prowess through meditation and intense study & practice. The same might be encouraged by any religion or branch thereof that focuses on personal development or even simply on the acquisition of power (personal or corporate). Ascetic sects or techniques could very well exist in most FR religions. RL monk orders (eastern or western) take that approach and I would expect to see similar practices in most or all FR monk orders at a minimum.

It would, however, be interesting to see some sort of Sharessan monk who learns to focus ki through tantric methods, but I expect that a strong ability to resist temptation and long periods of abstinence would be necessary to develop such powers regardless. They would still have to be lawfully aligned. Sex between them would probably be a ritual lasting hours... or even days...

Oh, and if you can go into battle nude save for a set of Bracers of AC +5 and get the benefits thereof, magicked chainmail bikinis would definitely exist. In fact, non-magical versions would also exist a) to suggest that wearer was in fact dressed in the magical version and that you shouldn't mess with them and b) in imitation of current fashion trends amongst warrior babes.

Writings on Sharess: Thoughts & Prayers by Xaviera ~ High Priestess of Sharess
Go to Top of Page

Ozzalum
Learned Scribe

USA
277 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2009 :  17:28:17  Show Profile  Visit Ozzalum's Homepage Send Ozzalum a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, so I can see the argument that forbidding priests or paladins to marry and procreate might not necessarily happen much in the Realms or ever be a commandment from on high. But recreational sex? Let's say Joe paladin just got done vanquishing evil and is feeling like celebrating. Everyone is ok with him finding some prostitute and going at it? On the theory that if a god said no to that sort of behavior in his most devoted followers, that he would lose his followers so some other pro-prostitution god?

What if the prostitute doesn't take her birth control root? Do the bastard offspring of paladins tend to take their daddy's faith?

What about priestesses and paladinesses? Is it reasonable to assume some gods might rather have their holy warriors out warring instead of sitting in the temple as single moms?

If you are right, it appears that the only thing that every deity can agree to is that meaningless sex is not to be stigmatized.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2009 :  17:34:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ozzalum

Ok, so I can see the argument that forbidding priests or paladins to marry and procreate might not necessarily happen much in the Realms or ever be a commandment from on high. But recreational sex? Let's say Joe paladin just got done vanquishing evil and is feeling like celebrating. Everyone is ok with him finding some prostitute and going at it? On the theory that if a god said no to that sort of behavior in his most devoted followers, that he would lose his followers so some other pro-prostitution god?

If prostitution has no stigma, then no one has a problem with it.

quote:

What if the prostitute doesn't take her birth control root? Do the bastard offspring of paladins tend to take their daddy's faith?

They would likely follow the faith of whoever raised them.

quote:

What about priestesses and paladinesses? Is it reasonable to assume some gods might rather have their holy warriors out warring instead of sitting in the temple as single moms?

That's a reasonable assumption... However, with a variety of magical and non-magical forms of birth control, it's pretty unlike that a priestess is going to have an unplanned pregnancy. And it's also unlikely that any person, regardless of religion, is going to be constantly rushing from battle to battle until old age claims them.

quote:

If you are right, it appears that the only thing that every deity can agree to is that meaningless sex is not to be stigmatized.

I'm just saying that there really isn't a good reason for any deity of the Realms to demand abstinence.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2009 :  17:50:46  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Aw, come on. Who said anything about free love? I said that a deity would not benefit from telling people to do something they're very much inclined to do. Free love did not enter into it, and tossing that out there is a deliberate misreading of what I said.

Free as opposed to restricted? Is that not a correct usage?

I am aware that we're talking about a continuum of how free it can be, but your contention was that restricting it was a self-defeating strategy. I disagree and I cite the many real world religions that restrict sexual activity in one way or another as an example that some humans apparently seek out religions where their natural urges are deliberately surpressed.

quote:

And yet other religions have considered sex to be a religious experience. Given a choice between a religion that says no sex at all is the way to holiness, and one that says sex is the way to holiness, which option are most people going to choose?

Of course other gods will say that. Sometimes the same god will say both, among different clergies or monastic orders.

Deities are selling a product. When seeking to market something, it helps to understand your demographic. Focusing on one group of consumers can be a good way to get good peneration, but at the expense of wider appeal.

By catering to both ascetic mystics and unabashed hedonists, a deity can maximise its worshipper base. Sexual desire is a basic human drive, yes, but the need for spirituality is too. And real world religions have had great success by selling spirituality as being opposed to fleshly urges. It makes no sense to say that no fictional religion would try the same approach.

And second, which religion would people choose, the one where sex is considered sinful or the one where it is holy? As it happens, we have both versions on the real world. I'm going to let you guess which version has had more success in history.

quote:

While this is true, kids often do follow the religion of their parents. Recruiting outsiders may be okay, but breeding them does a better job of ensuring future worshippers.

Every child of a worshipper is a potential worshipper. Every worshipper convinced by a prozetilyzer is a worshipper, no further work needed.

Converts are better than potential worshippers, because there is nothing potential about them.

quote:

If some orders were sworn to that, I'd expect that prohibition to originate with ranking clergy, and not with the deity.

I agree. I think most dogma originates from clergy, not gods. Gods, as described in Realmslore, are mostly static and uncreative. Even when their portfolios include creation or imagination, their ideas tend to be, to put it bluntly, bad.

It's mortals that drive the continual changes of gods and it's mortals that ensure that their message remains viable in the divine marketplace.

quote:

Most people feel the need for family, and/or companionship, and/or sex. Encouraging them to forgo these things for the sake of following one deity is a good way to encourage them to worship a less-restrictive deity.

Not when it's voluntary.

You can choose to be a lay worshipper of Catholicism and have a family or you can choose to dedicate your life to the faith. Both have their appeal among actual people, you know.

You are claiming that humans will behave in a certain way, as if it is a law of some kind, when the real world does not agree with you.

quote:

It's already established that deities of the Realms do not expect or demand 24/10 obeisance. It's established that people of the Realms worship multiple deities on a daily basis. If a deity is okay with that, they're certainly not going to sweat family time.

They accept this because they have to accept it.

That does not mean that the deity would not prefer to have a greater proportion of a worshipper's time and attention. It's just that they are rarely in a position to demand it.

It's a seller's market for faith.

quote:

Shockingly, a lot of real world religions that encourage total abstinence have found that some people -- even priests! -- can't stick to that kind of restriction.

So?

The mere acts of trying and even of repenting are acts of worship. Hence, it's all a win for the god.

quote:

If it fit the god, yes... But I can't think of a single deity in the Realms that it would fit. It simply does not mesh with what we know of the gods and of the Realms.

You can't think of one?

So you cannot imagine priests of Chauntea being sworn to chastity* to honour the fruitful aspect of their goddess?

Nor sacred guardians of Helm that swear to take no wife, hold no lands and enter into no obligations before their duty to guard a given shrine, land or object?

Brides of Kelemvor, wedded to the death and the dead?

The Forlorn of Shar, seeking peace in the absence of emotion and human contact?

The Heirs of Battle and Blood, crusaders of Tempus who are given great honour by all warriors for their choice to dedicate themselves entirely to the pursuit of warfare to the exclusion of all else?

The Wives of the Drowned Men, a society in the servicve of Umberlee consisting of those whose spouses were lost at sea and who dedicate themselves to celibate service of the goddess in hopes of being reunited with them after death?

The point is, I can imagine nearly any god in Faerun choosing to demand abstinence in certain situations or from certain of his followers. It makes sense for them to do so in many cases, because people like senseless shibboleths in their religion. It makes them feel more real.

*Loosely used here to mean to marry before having sexual relations and to have only sexual relations that are likely to result in offspring.

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas

Edited by - Icelander on 01 Oct 2009 17:53:50
Go to Top of Page

Ozzalum
Learned Scribe

USA
277 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2009 :  18:08:57  Show Profile  Visit Ozzalum's Homepage Send Ozzalum a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, my point is that it is absurd that prostitution carries no stigma in the eyes of any god. The realms feels so realistic and thought out until you stumble upon these things that remind you it was designed by a flower child.

quote:
They would likely follow the faith of whoever raised them.

Precisely my point, this completely eliminates the incentive of the baby-daddy's god. That prostitute might just raise her child to dislike the paladin that swept into town, begot a child and ran off to the next dragon. Better to keep that lance in check.

quote:
That's a reasonable assumption... However, with a variety of magical and non-magical forms of birth control, it's pretty unlike that a priestess is going to have an unplanned pregnancy. And it's also unlikely that any person, regardless of religion, is going to be constantly rushing from battle to battle until old age claims them.

But would they be told to take birth control by their gods while they were campaigning on their behalf? Do the gods take care of birth control issues themselves? Isn't it more realistic that a paladin would simply devote herself wholly to her god until such time as she was ready to retire and start a family? It just feels wrong to have a noble paladin woman say "Well, I'm on the root and it's not really wrong so long as I don't have any feelings for him."

quote:
I'm just saying that there really isn't a good reason for any deity of the Realms to demand abstinence.

But there are good reasons for some gods to demand murder and whatnot? Why wouldn't there be a portfolio for celibacy or chastity? It's got to be more common aspect of the human condition than murder, even in the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2009 :  19:21:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Aw, come on. Who said anything about free love? I said that a deity would not benefit from telling people to do something they're very much inclined to do. Free love did not enter into it, and tossing that out there is a deliberate misreading of what I said.

Free as opposed to restricted? Is that not a correct usage?

I am aware that we're talking about a continuum of how free it can be, but your contention was that restricting it was a self-defeating strategy. I disagree and I cite the many real world religions that restrict sexual activity in one way or another as an example that some humans apparently seek out religions where their natural urges are deliberately surpressed.

And some of those real world religions you're citing are discovering -- but refusing to admit -- that it's not a winning strategy.

Besides, what choice do real world humans have? The choices are a monotheistic religion that dominates their society, or swearing off religion altogether. People in the Realms are not so limited, so it's not a valid comparison.

quote:

Of course other gods will say that. Sometimes the same god will say both, among different clergies or monastic orders.

Deities are selling a product. When seeking to market something, it helps to understand your demographic. Focusing on one group of consumers can be a good way to get good peneration, but at the expense of wider appeal.

Anyone who knows marketing will also tell you that denying customers what they want or need is a good way to lose them.

quote:

By catering to both ascetic mystics and unabashed hedonists, a deity can maximise its worshipper base. Sexual desire is a basic human drive, yes, but the need for spirituality is too.

But the two are not mutually exclusive! If you don't make them mutually exclusive, then there's no reason they can't coexist.

quote:

And real world religions have had great success by selling spirituality as being opposed to fleshly urges.

Again, that strategy is not all that successful in the modern world, and again, the Realms is not the real world. We really need to stop bringing the real world into this, as it's not relevant to the discussion.

quote:

It makes no sense to say that no fictional religion would try the same approach.

Agreed. But it also makes no sense to assume any deity of the Realms would go for this approach. There is no data to support it, and it simply doesn't fit in with what we know. In another setting, where there isn't a plethora of deities known to be real and active, it could work.

quote:

And second, which religion would people choose, the one where sex is considered sinful or the one where it is holy? As it happens, we have both versions on the real world. I'm going to let you guess which version has had more success in history.

The fact that there's plenty of people on this planet suggests that no matter religion people are following, they're still happily having sex and thus not being abstinent.

quote:

Every child of a worshipper is a potential worshipper. Every worshipper convinced by a prozetilyzer is a worshipper, no further work needed.

Until someone else comes along and converts them to someone else.

Besides, if someone's not out there making them, then you run out of people to convert.

quote:

Converts are better than potential worshippers, because there is nothing potential about them.

It's better to have a person known to change their mind, rather than one raised to believe there's only one choice?

quote:

Not when it's voluntary.

You can choose to be a lay worshipper of Catholicism and have a family or you can choose to dedicate your life to the faith. Both have their appeal among actual people, you know.

Again, we have the concept that spirituality and sexuality are mutually exclusive... This is far from being a universal belief, and it's certainly not one I've seen in the Realms.

quote:

You are claiming that humans will behave in a certain way, as if it is a law of some kind, when the real world does not agree with you.

I'm saying the inclination is there, and it's proven that for a lot of folks, religion isn't enough to overcome it. That is the real world.

It's also the real world that actions are committed in the name of religions that specificly and explicitly prohibits such.

Do you really want to keep bringing the real world into a discussion of something that is only the same in that it involves human nature?

quote:

They accept this because they have to accept it.

That does not mean that the deity would not prefer to have a greater proportion of a worshipper's time and attention. It's just that they are rarely in a position to demand it.

It's a seller's market for faith.

Yup. And this is also why most deities aren't going to be restricting basic human needs.

quote:

quote:

Shockingly, a lot of real world religions that encourage total abstinence have found that some people -- even priests! -- can't stick to that kind of restriction.

So?

The mere acts of trying and even of repenting are acts of worship. Hence, it's all a win for the god.

Yeah, and the deity also wins when these failures on the part of prominent religious folks causes lay worshippers to question their religious leadership or even their own faith. Right?

And I'm sure it's also a win when a person decides they can't live to a particular ideal and thus finds a way to worship that makes this not an issue.

quote:

You can't think of one?

So you cannot imagine priests of Chauntea being sworn to chastity* to honour the fruitful aspect of their goddess?

Not being fruitful honors a deity of such? Huh?

quote:

Nor sacred guardians of Helm that swear to take no wife, hold no lands and enter into no obligations before their duty to guard a given shrine, land or object?

That's not swearing to abstinence.

quote:

Brides of Kelemvor, wedded to the death and the dead?

Where does abstinence enter into this?

quote:

The Forlorn of Shar, seeking peace in the absence of emotion and human contact?

Now this one I'll give you. It's the only one. And this still isn't religion-wide.

quote:

The Heirs of Battle and Blood, crusaders of Tempus who are given great honour by all warriors for their choice to dedicate themselves entirely to the pursuit of warfare to the exclusion of all else?

Again, abstinence isn't a factor here. Not having a wife/lover is not the same as avoiding all sexual contact.

quote:

The Wives of the Drowned Men, a society in the servicve of Umberlee consisting of those whose spouses were lost at sea and who dedicate themselves to celibate service of the goddess in hopes of being reunited with them after death?

This isn't really abstinence, since they want to get back together with someone so they can resume what they had before.

quote:

The point is, I can imagine nearly any god in Faerun choosing to demand abstinence in certain situations or from certain of his followers. It makes sense for them to do so in many cases, because people like senseless shibboleths in their religion. It makes them feel more real.

It might make them feel real to you, but the absence of reason in a mandate of abstinence does not feel real to me; it draws me out by not making sense.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2009 :  19:31:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Well, my point is that it is absurd that prostitution carries no stigma in the eyes of any god. The realms feels so realistic and thought out until you stumble upon these things that remind you it was designed by a flower child.

So is it more realistic to assume that the act of creating life is sinful?

Why would any deity feel that prostitution was wrong, so long as neither party had any other commitments?

quote:

Precisely my point, this completely eliminates the incentive of the baby-daddy's god. That prostitute might just raise her child to dislike the paladin that swept into town, begot a child and ran off to the next dragon. Better to keep that lance in check.

Or the baby might be given to the church the paladin belongs to, and grow up to be another holy warrior. Should the possibility of one overrule the possibility of another?

quote:

But would they be told to take birth control by their gods while they were campaigning on their behalf? Do the gods take care of birth control issues themselves? Isn't it more realistic that a paladin would simply devote herself wholly to her god until such time as she was ready to retire and start a family? It just feels wrong to have a noble paladin woman say "Well, I'm on the root and it's not really wrong so long as I don't have any feelings for him."

I don't think their deity would mandate it; the follower would make that choice themself. What's wrong with the idea of a paladin deciding to tumble into bed with someone, so long as both parties know what to expect?

quote:

But there are good reasons for some gods to demand murder and whatnot? Why wouldn't there be a portfolio for celibacy or chastity? It's got to be more common aspect of the human condition than murder, even in the Realms.

Because murder is what those gods are about. There could be a portfolio of celibacy or chastity, but the fact that there isn't shows two things: that it's not common enough for there to be a need for a portfolio for it, and that no deity sees a point in it.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 01 Oct 2009 19:31:59
Go to Top of Page

xaviera
Learned Scribe

Canada
149 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2009 :  20:04:16  Show Profile  Visit xaviera's Homepage Send xaviera a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Prostitution will, even in the Realms IMO, always be looked down upon by some people. Certainly it would not be a career choice for a well-brought-up 'nice girl' intent on finding a man and doing her family proud. Rather, it is the province of the lower classes, the poor, the rough and more libertine members of certain faiths. Even temple-sanctioned prostitution might be seen as more of a chore than a way of getting in touch with the divine and probably wouldnt appeal to all members of the clergy. For most people, however, prostitution wont carry the stigma (for either client or practitioner) that it does RL, but I'd think that it would probably be seen by the middle and upper classes as something vaguely naughty that most respectable people wouldnt engage in (or certainly not regularly). I doubt it would be discussed at the dinner table without making the ladies blush unless all present were Sunites or Lliirans. (I'm talking mainly about upper classes here, BTW, most of whom would probably identify with the more 'respectable' faiths.)

Prostitution RL is not a glamorous profession and I dont see that it would be in-game either. Some people will choose it as a career because they want to (for personal or religious reasons), but others will do it because they've been forced into it or because they're dirt poor and have little choice in the matter. There's a big difference in how an escort or courtesan would be perceived socially as opposed to an unkempt slattern in dirty clothes on a dingy street corner.

I like Icelander's suggestions for groups that might practice abstinence - they make sense to me. Some might be more abstinent than others (the last 4 listed vs the first 2), but IMO it is always an option for individuals or certain sects. People do strange things in the name of religion and I can see a charismatic priest, demagogue or visionary calling upon followers to forsake this, that or the other thing in order to focus on giving homage to their god.

As was also pointed out, people will also do things in the name of their gods that appear to contradict the words of said deities. There is no reason that this shouldnt happen in the Realms given that the gods wont be chatting up every follower on a regular basis and will tend to leave the details of worship practices to the mortal hierarchy of their respective churches.

Edited by - xaviera on 01 Oct 2009 20:11:43
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2009 :  01:09:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed's added some intriguing perspectives on the profession of prostitution in his replies here at Candlekeep:-
quote:
Just like the recent query about snacks, this one has so many replies that I’m sure I’ll miss a lot of the euphemisms employed in the Realms. However, let’s have a go at a fragmentary list:

• low-coin lasses

• high-coin girls (obviously, this term and the preceding one refer to rates charged - - and, usually, “quality of presentation,” which is to say: to charge high rates, a female usually has to be pretty if not beautiful, actress enough to enjoy her work and to portray what the client wants [from fear to innocence to tenderness, and a liking for whatever the client’s preferences are], to be clean and provocatively dressed, and to operate in less than squalid surroundings)

• ladies of the evening (implies the ability to function as escorts in social situations; i.e. know how to behave at a feast or formal gathering as ladies of breeding, not merely - - or perhaps not even - - sexual partners)

• bedwarmers (entirely neutral and open-society-polite term, as it can imply either gender, and everything from a personal maid who literally warms a rented bed with a bedpan and then departs, perhaps never being seen by the renter, to a regular companion hired repeatedly by a given traveler on every visit to a given establishment; usually means “good, hard-working, trustworthy prostitute”)

• alley girls (implies low and coarse street workers, often women who literally ply their trade in alleyways by night, usually swift “offerings” for a few coins; young boys who can scrape up a copper coin between them usually get their first sight or fondle [only] of bared female flesh by visiting an alley girl in daylight)

• festhall downdancers (“festhall dancers” are usually just that: dancers, though they may flirt and dance unclad or partially so; “downdancers” is the usual shorthand term for “MORE than just dancers”)

• lightskirts (a mild term, usually implying prostitution but can mean merely promiscuous)

• looseskirts (need not be a professional; this term really means “willing woman,” but is often employed to mean prostitute by folk who dare not, or don’t want to be, more explicit)

• snakehips (an exhibitionist and willing sexual partner who is either contortionist or acrobatic, or “willing to try” precarious sites for trysts, such as rooftops, high tree boughs, atop wagons, high windowsills, hanging from ropes or balconies, on horseback, and so on; again, need not be a professional)

• low-lantern ladies (refers to the Southern [the Vilhon, Calimshan, and points south] practice of dancing, disrobing, and then lovemaking all to the subdued amber or red light of almost-shuttered lamps that have panels of one of those two hues)

• willing-arms (usually used to refer to a village whore, as in “ah, this’ll be the local willing-arms”)

• escorts (implies the acting ability and training to function as “arm candy” in social situations such as revels, feasts, and formal gatherings as persons of breeding, not necessarily sexual partners)

• hard-currency girls (a term rarely heard these days; it implied that this particular prostitute wouldn’t extend credit - - but almost no one does, any more, so the term is dying out except as a leering, over-the-top “scandalous” term used in some plays - - usually by a “shocked, utterly SHOCKED, my dear!” character)

• courtesan (a professional “hostess” employed by a ruler at his court, to entertain important visitors; need not have a sexual role at all, but usually does; tone of voice or local knowledge implies sexual side of profession if it exists)

• warmflanks (a very “polite” way of referring to prostitutes; can be said in polite social conversations by or in the hearing of anyone, including disapproving old matrons and children)

• whiplovers (originally only a slighting way to refer to worshippers of Loviatar, or S&M -enjoying cultists of Shar and Bane, its use broadened to include masochists venerating Ilmater, and finally all sexual masochists; recently, has seen use in Amn, Tethyr, and Calimshan as a term for those who offer their bodies to be whipped in return for coin)

• kisscoin (a polite, affectionate term for those willing to make love for pay)

• footwarmer (an utterly neutral term for a paid companion of the opposite sex, who is willing to sleep with clients; usually sex is implied, but the term literally means to provide companionship in bed for the lonely, so they have a warm body to warm their feet against; increasingly, this term is applied to aging, less athletic and adventurous prostitutes)

• she-eel (a snarled near-curse, implying someone who teases, takes coin, and then slips away [or robs clients], OR an approving advertisement for someone very supple and willing to use her skills for adventurous sex or to increase the pleasure of clients)

• banner (a male prostitute)

• skilled-laces (a prostitute of satisfying skills and performance; the term refers, of course, to unlacing garments)

• darksail (someone who makes love for pay while masked, or with identity magically disguised; originally many elves and half-elves of Waterdeep used a “shiftmask” spell that covered their faces - - except for their eyes - - in amorphous darkness; this spell is sometimes cast for hire on wealthy wives and husbands who want to “cheat” at masked revels, so if their masks are torn off, their faces still can’t be seen; the spell can also be cast to cloak most of the body, so once garments are removed, the body can be felt more than it can be seen, an aid in concealing wrinkles, or identifying marks that betray identity)

• slyblade (prostitute who dresses as a man, to woo female clients or as protection against the disapproving or lawkeepers, when meeting male clients who know her true identity and profession very well, or are “tipped off” by prearrangement plus a card, message, or signal)

• catclaw (prostitute who likes rough sex or domination, or who will for coin try to seduce others, or act the role of a slave, spouse, conquered war-captive or former rival who is now a willing lover [in other words, benefit or enhance the status of a paying client by her acting, from wearing chains and willingly accepting abuse to pretending to have been smitten by the sexual prowess of the client)

• bell-ankles (a Southern term referring to the dying practice of wearing chiming bells on the ankles when dancing or lovemaking, as audible advertisements; this custom is dying out, but the phrase still sees popular use to mean prostitute willing to entertain “walk-in” clients)

• slapthighs (low-rate or coarse or willing-to-be-abused prostitute; the term is descriptive, NOT pejorative)

• smilecoin lass (polite term for a friendly, “nice” prostitute, especially one who will cook for, provide conversation for, and provide a bed for the night for, a client - - not just providing sex)

• goldglint darling (poetic or “overly polite” term for anyone who provides sex for payment)

• playpretty (a female paid for sex by soldiers or sailors)

• doxy (mistress or prostitute, especially applied to women who are the shared mistresses of a select roster of men)

• warmvelvet (a young, pretty or beautiful prostitute who likes to tease or act alluring or foster an air of mystery; in Silverymoon or Waterdeep, this also means a noble or wealthy young woman “playing” at being a prostitute for the thrills [or to see if she can use this as a “road away” from an unhappy home situation])

• chalice (a poetic or very polite term for a prostitute, based on the poetic reference to the female as either a cup that a male drinks from, or a vessel that receives his seed)

• glimmersheath (a strikingly beautiful prostitute, or a male crossdressing prostitute; in either case, the term refers to eyecatching beauty and willingly receiving the “dagger” of the male physique)

• gold tigress (a prostitute who likes to wrestle with or fight [to be “conquered”] clients, or to bite and claw them; a “tigress” without the word “gold” refers to a female who is not a prostitute but has similar sexual preferences]

I could go on and on and on, because the euphemisms are endless, but these given here are the most universally understood (even if some of them are used only regionally, travelling merchants have spread word of their meaning across Faerûn). If one adds insults and curses to modify these, an entire new roster of phrases opens up, but I’d rather leave those to the inventiveness of individual DMs so as not to upset too many scribes reading this thread.

So saith Ed.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2009 :  02:21:18  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wooly, you might want to look of the word 'abstinence'.

It means any form of voluntary restraint on a desire, in this case sexual desire.

No sex until marriage, no sex except at certain times, no sex except with romantically significantly partners, no sex except for procreation; all of these are forms of abstinence.

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
Go to Top of Page

Ozzalum
Learned Scribe

USA
277 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2009 :  15:22:47  Show Profile  Visit Ozzalum's Homepage Send Ozzalum a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Icelander, I like the distinctions you've made there. In thinking about this some more I would tend to think Sune would be opposed to prostitution under the category of "no sex except with romantically significant partners." I would also say any god with the "family" domain would not be too enamored of prostitution.

And I have to say I am absolutely floored by the number of names prostitutes have in the realms. I had no idea they were so important and studied to the point of making distinctions on what kind of sex they prefer and so on. I don't think my mom would have been too pleased that I was playing in this particular playground as a teen. Of course, all of my PC's just tipped their caps to these various "ladies" without having any idea what they did.
Go to Top of Page

Aerik DeVallo
Seeker

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2009 :  15:57:10  Show Profile Send Aerik DeVallo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like Sune better than Sharess. Just more interesting to me. Besides, Sharess would have been a follower of Sune (or that's the only deity that I can think of) as a mortal, because I'm pretty sure Sune was the only deity who had anything to do with these sorts of portfolio's. Sharess, after all, is only a demigod. So, do you think she serves Sune as a greater power in the universe? Or is she Sune's daughter?

Edited by - Aerik DeVallo on 02 Oct 2009 16:03:16
Go to Top of Page

Hellkeepa
Seeker

Norway
61 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2009 :  16:14:15  Show Profile  Visit Hellkeepa's Homepage Send Hellkeepa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
HELLo!

Sharess, then Bast, came from another realm, and as such didn't know Sune in her mortal days. After the Times of Trouble she is now serving Sune, after she rescued Sharess from Shar's influence.
Read more about her here: http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Sharess. It also details her worshippers a bit, and links to Sune for more information about her.

Happy playin'!

Dealing with 3.5 only. Refusing the reality of 4.0, and substituting it for my own.
Go to Top of Page

Aerik DeVallo
Seeker

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2009 :  16:21:22  Show Profile Send Aerik DeVallo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info, Hellkeepa!
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2009 :  19:29:32  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just wanted to say, I think this is a very interesting discussion and I hope you continue. And since it's very easy to lose civility in a discussion about this subject*, I'd like to reiterate the request to keep it clean and polite.

*This thread covers two of the four top contenders for "most inflammatory topic" of the forums; i.e., sex, religion, politics, and 3e vs. 4e FIGHT!.

quote:

Wooly, you might want to look of the word 'abstinence'.

It means any form of voluntary restraint on a desire, in this case sexual desire.
Of course you're right, though I think Wooly is addressing your use of the word (which is in a sexual context). I haven't seen any references to abstaining from drink, drugs, or halfling tea parties* anywhere so far in the thread, and your implied meaning is pretty clear in a long post suggesting what I think are excellent sects of particular deities that might practice (sexual) abstinence.

(*Ahem. That's for Steven. )

quote:

In thinking about this some more I would tend to think Sune would be opposed to prostitution under the category of "no sex except with romantically significant partners." I would also say any god with the "family" domain would not be too enamored of prostitution.
Well, Ed and I exchanged several emails regarding prostitution in the Realms, which led to my creation of a Sunite priestess operating as a prostitute in one of my novels, showing (what I think is) the general attitude of Sunites toward the profession. But lest this turn into just a shameless plug . . . see ya!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2009 :  20:53:48  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Of course you're right, though I think Wooly is addressing your use of the word (which is in a sexual context). I haven't seen any references to abstaining from drink, drugs, or halfling tea parties* anywhere so far in the thread, and your implied meaning is pretty clear in a long post suggesting what I think are excellent sects of particular deities that might practice (sexual) abstinence.

I'm aware that in the context, the word refers to sexual abstinence. I was making the point that any form of deliberate restraint on sexual activity constituted 'abstinence'. The ultimate form would be complete and lifelong abstinence, but there are many other forms of abstinence.

To take a real world example, when someone makes a commitment to abstain from sex before marriage, that's abstinence. Even though it does not place any restraints on sex after marriage, it's still a form of abstinence.

To take a more Realmsian example, if a priestess of Selune makes a commitment to her goddess that involves abstaining from sexual activity except as part of religious ceremonies conducted under moonlight, that's a form of abstinence. Even though it does allow sex in certain circumstances.

Sexual activity is an important part of what makes us human. And because of that, managing to link it to ceremony or religious constraints is a powerful tool for deities and their clergies.

Go to Top of Page

xaviera
Learned Scribe

Canada
149 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2009 :  21:21:26  Show Profile  Visit xaviera's Homepage Send xaviera a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellkeepa

Sharess, then Bast, came from another realm, and as such didn't know Sune in her mortal days. After the Times of Trouble she is now serving Sune, after she rescued Sharess from Shar's influence.
According to Powers & Pantheons, Sharess was freed by Sune, but it doesnt (as far as I can recall) say that she is in service to the latter. It is stated that she is thought by some to be Sune's daughter but this cannot be correct for the reason noted above. According to "A Revel in Brightwater" she shares the pocket realm of Brightwater in Arvandor on equal terms with Sune, Lliira and Tymora.

(I dont have my source material with me at the moment, so I'm working from a secondary source - my own Sharess wiki which, may I say, puts all others to shame and I invite you all to take a look at it.)

Edited by - xaviera on 02 Oct 2009 21:23:19
Go to Top of Page

xaviera
Learned Scribe

Canada
149 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2009 :  02:35:42  Show Profile  Visit xaviera's Homepage Send xaviera a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now that I've had a chance to check my sources (my italics in the quotes below)...

Faiths & Pantheons (p.105): "...Sharess has restored her ties of friendship with Anhur, Hanali Celanil, Lliira, Milil, Nobanion, Selune and Sune."

Powers & Pantheons (p.52): "Sharess ... joins Sune and the elven goddess Hanali Celanil in frolicking in and around the pool of Evergold. Some tales claim Sharess is the younger, more decadent sister of Sune, although this is not strictly true. Sharess puts even Sune and Lliira to shame with her excesses."

I see nothing here to indicate that Sharess is anything other than a friend (as opposed to servitor) of Sune, Hanali and/or Lliira. And, getting back to the topic of excess, "even Sune and Lliira" in the 2nd quote implies to me that those two are no strangers to having a good time either. Don't forget that Sune is also the goddess of beauty as well as love, so there's no reason for her followers not to enjoy the attentions of (attractive) prostitutes. Lliira has been identified as being 'sensuous' and is 'a goddess of joy, careless feeling, contentment, release [and] happiness', none of which would argue that she'd have anything against her worshippers using the services of prostitutes either. That both are friends with Sharess (the goddess of prostitutes, after all ) clinches it for me.

Edited by - xaviera on 03 Oct 2009 02:38:59
Go to Top of Page

Hellkeepa
Seeker

Norway
61 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2009 :  03:01:08  Show Profile  Visit Hellkeepa's Homepage Send Hellkeepa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
HELLo!

Hehe, I don't think they meant "serves" as in "servant", but that they serve the same goals. On the page for Sune, it says that they are allies. Don't ask me where they got that wording from, but they have listed their sorces at the bottom of the pages.

Anyway, back to topic: From what I've read of the Realmslore, sensuality and sexuality is quite more accepted and promisciously displayed than in hour world. As our Reverend Xaviera here so elegantly pointed out: Sharess is the godess of sensual induldgence, which includes sexual activities. Often in excess too, especially in her "dark experimentation" periode. The Cleric Quintet is a nice example of what's accepted, even amongst the clergy of Deneir and Oghma. ;-)

Happy playin'!

Dealing with 3.5 only. Refusing the reality of 4.0, and substituting it for my own.

Edited by - Hellkeepa on 03 Oct 2009 03:40:48
Go to Top of Page

Ozzalum
Learned Scribe

USA
277 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2009 :  12:01:56  Show Profile  Visit Ozzalum's Homepage Send Ozzalum a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I basically agree with the contention that Lliira, Sune, Sharess and Hanali Celanil would all look kindly upon frolicking so to speak. I guess my problem is why there are four gods to cover this sort of behavior? I'm sure people here can discuss in detail how they really cover slightly different aspects of lust, beauty, happiness, freedom, love and so on, but how is it there isn't one stuffy god out there telling his people to cool it? Did everyone get to together and kill him at some point in the distant past? My issue is that in every bigtime RW religion there are limits on sexual activity. Different religions have different limits, but they are there in all of them. How is it then that in the Realms, the gods either don't care at all what their followers are up to or actively encourage what is basically considered debauchery in the RW?

Is there any reason whatsoever to remain a virgin in the Realms? Unicorns? Or are they more progressive in the Realms too?

The reason I am interested in this topic, aside from a general interest in debauchery shared by all, is that I have a paladin of Selune I am writing about and apparently she is a freakish prude. Is there any reason I can give for her not putting out beyond some vague personal preference not too?
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2009 :  12:11:51  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Is there any reason whatsoever to remain a virgin in the Realms? Unicorns? Or are they more progressive in the Realms too?

The reason I am interested in this topic, aside from a general interest in debauchery shared by all, is that I have a paladin of Selune I am writing about and apparently she is a freakish prude. Is there any reason I can give for her not putting out beyond some vague personal preference not too?

I don't see anything freakish about the desire to limit sexual activity to meaningful relationships and/or expressions of romantic love.

And FR canon does feature characters who choose to abstain from sex and relationships until they are shown a sign from their god that it is appropriate (Tordon Sureblade, for one).

Go to Top of Page

Ozzalum
Learned Scribe

USA
277 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2009 :  14:28:18  Show Profile  Visit Ozzalum's Homepage Send Ozzalum a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not aware of that guy, but I'll be sure to look him up. Thanks.

The feeling I'm getting from this conversation however, is that there is a "real" Forgotten Realms lurking under all the books and art and whatnot. The books exist and are marketed in the real world and therefore tend to have characters who conform to RW norms that were not originally intended to exist in the Realms. That's the impression I am getting.

There's lots pressure on a person, external and internal, to go ahead and have sex. With an absence of forces in the other direction, I'm coming up a bit short on why any "normal" person would refrain. It wasn't my plan to have an elaborate backstory explaining why she resists the advances of the charming half-elf cleric of Lliira but it is looking more and more like I need one. Or I can just write a steamier book.
Go to Top of Page

xaviera
Learned Scribe

Canada
149 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2009 :  14:33:17  Show Profile  Visit xaviera's Homepage Send xaviera a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I see no reason why you can't make up an abstinent order of this, that or the other deity, even if there are none in the official published sources. As I've said above, I'm sure that someone will have created at least one such organization (probably for each god!) at some point in the world's past. While the more 'severe' deities are the most likely candidates, I see no reason why even a small Sunite order might not exist that is particularly devoted to (say) the ideal of marital love, or a group of Sharessin who vow to remain virgin until the midsummer night of their 20th year when they must (for example) lie with the first man they see who wears green and red as a sign of their devotion to the goddess.

As I said in another topic:

A priestess, one time, of Sharess,
Oft enjoyed a flirtatious caress.
But she astonished the nations
When she refused assignations
Saying "Surprise! I'm a virgin, no less!"

Edited by - xaviera on 05 Oct 2009 14:36:03
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2009 :  16:50:59  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Speaking as an author and long-time reader/gamer in the Realms, I think the long and short of it is that sex is just not as big a deal in the FR as it is in the RL.

That's not to say it isn't important. Indeed, it is still a major human motivation, as significant as the need for food, drink, and shelter, and a means/expression of great emotional connection when used in that manner. It can also be quite dangerous and life-altering and should be treated with care. But there just isn't as much reason to get hung up on it--it's generally not considered dirty, rebellious, or (especially) sinful.

I could go more into the comparative religions aspect, but for now I'm only going to suggest that it is a logical fallacy to compare the Faerunian pantheon (polytheistic, multiple gods accepted among multiple peoples, all-encompassing, i.e. "worship our god when doing things appropriate to our god") to our current dominant world religions like Christianity, Islam, Judaism, etc. (monotheistic, generally exclusive as regards other religions, i.e. "our god is the only god, so worship him!"). They are pretty much diametrically opposite.

If any monotheistic "our-god-is-the-only-god" faith took root in the Realms and imposed strictures on behavior* half as tough as some of our own RW faiths, the folk would probably dismiss it as a wacky cult. And they would generally be right to do so, seeing as the actual physical existence of the gods has been confirmed to them on many occasions.

The closer comparison between FR religion and RL religion would be more appropriately a comparison between the Faerunian and Greek pantheons, as it informs a comparison between Faerunian and Greek society. Sex was less regulated in numerous respects in Greece, though the institution of marriage was quite firmly in place (for primarily legal reasons more than social reasons; i.e., to ensure an heir for a person's fortune, rather than to restrict one's sexual activity over much). The stigma was much lower for extra-curricular sex, as it were, and to an extent it was just kind of expected that that's what you'd do.

Also, please, please remember that none of us really *know* everything there is to know about religion and behavior in the Realms. (Even Ed only has drop-in chats from Elminster so often!) This leaves miles of wiggle room for your games.

If you're trying to keep everything *canonical*, then just realize that the material has NOT explored nearly every avenue of FR society, and it's not like the sexual mores of the world are going to be high on the list for designers who are trying to market the game in our world.

Cheers

*Strictures on behavior: Yes, indeed, all faiths, by nature of being faiths, impose strictures on behavior in order to differentiate themselves from those around them. This is just like countries and nationalism, schools and school pride, races and culture. It's simply human nature to group like this.

And yes, I'm sure abstinence in one form or another (i.e., don't drink this, don't eat this, don't sleep with such-and-such people during such-and-such festival) factors into followings in the Realms.

What I do *not* think is that any god in the Realms is likely to impose strict, complete, total abstinence from sexual activity. That just doesn't fit with Realmsian society--there are much better strictures to impose. Folk might choose that for their own reasons, but those reasons will not come from on-high, as it were.

That said, if it works for your game or story, it works for your game or story, and you should go for it.

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2009 :  17:49:36  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excellent post, Erik.
Go to Top of Page

Ozzalum
Learned Scribe

USA
277 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2009 :  18:57:11  Show Profile  Visit Ozzalum's Homepage Send Ozzalum a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You pulled rank on me there. I don't see how you can go on at length like you did and then say "if it works for you..." Obviously it doesn't work in this world. The default for ladylike behavior is to sleep around. I will have to come up with a Girdle of Monotheistic Morals before this will make any sense.

"Girdle of Femininity/Masculinity I could handle, I'm totally cool with that, but this sucks!"
Go to Top of Page

xaviera
Learned Scribe

Canada
149 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2009 :  20:01:33  Show Profile  Visit xaviera's Homepage Send xaviera a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

*Strictures on behavior: Yes, indeed, all faiths, by nature of being faiths, impose strictures on behavior in order to differentiate themselves from those around them. [...]

What I do *not* think is that any god in the Realms is likely to impose strict, complete, total abstinence from sexual activity. [...] Folk might choose that for their own reasons, but those reasons will not come from on-high, as it were.
quote:
Originally posted by xaviera

People do strange things in the name of religion and I can see a charismatic priest, demagogue or visionary calling upon followers to forsake this, that or the other thing in order to focus on giving homage to their god.
I think you have plenty of 'wiggle room' to set up any abstinent cult or sect that you like. It may not be popular, but it could exist!

Edited by - xaviera on 05 Oct 2009 20:03:50
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2009 :  21:44:32  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You pulled rank on me there.
Not to invalidate what you were saying--only to demonstrate my knowledge and understanding of the Realms. It was not my intention to do anything else. Your opinion holds equal weight with anyone else's, including my own.

quote:
I don't see how you can go on at length like you did and then say "if it works for you..." Obviously it doesn't work in this world. The default for ladylike behavior is to sleep around. I will have to come up with a Girdle of Monotheistic Morals before this will make any sense.

"Girdle of Femininity/Masculinity I could handle, I'm totally cool with that, but this sucks!"
I'm sorry, Ozzalum--I'm not sure what you're saying; please explain a little more? We can discuss it here or by PM, if you like.

I do want to address this bit:
quote:
the default for ladylike behavior is to sleep around.
Whoever said this? Where does it say this? That seems like a pretty extreme example to me.

The people of the Realms are just like the people in our world in one major respect: some of them sleep around, some of them don't. The difference is that in OUR world, that's socially stigmatized, and in the Realms, people are generally ok with it.

There is a middle ground here that your argument seems to be missing. Human behavior doesn't just go from "Total repression" to "Promiscuity for everyone yays."

Tyr or Ilmater or Chauntea being cool with their priests and paladins hooking up or patronizing prostitutes is not the same as divinely encouraging them to rush out and hump as many people as possible. If anything, you'd want to discourage that behavior simply on the basis of disease and those awkward baby-daddy situations (mentioned above), but you don't have to discourage it by a blanket "sex is bad, m'kay?" or "Birth control? Don't do it--that's your birth control."

You just treat people like intelligent, self-aware people and say, "if that's what you're going to do, no worries--just be safe."

Just because people are more open about sexuality and more accepting of casual sex doesn't mean that they instantaneously become ravening horn-dogs. (Sure if they were extremely repressed before, they might knee-jerk to that activity.) I know a great many people who I consider to have very progressive attitudes toward sex who remain completely loyal and utterly committed to a partner, and would never so much as consider "sleeping around."

Cheers

P.S. And what I was saying about "whatever works for you" was just that--you are and always have been completely free to ignore any aspect of the canonical Realms that doesn't work for your games. If you want your Realms to be stodgy because you want to explore the dynamics about sex and society that are largely altered in the canonical Realms, then do it, by all means. If you aren't comfortable with sex or sexuality in your Realms, then by all means, exclude it.

What I am trying to talk about is the canonical Realms society, which is, generally, sexually progressive. That's just a fact. And I don't think the Realms is even all that out there, compared to certain other fantasy novels/series. I could name names, but we don't want to get off topic.

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2009 :  21:46:06  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by xaviera

quote:
People do strange things in the name of religion and I can see a charismatic priest, demagogue or visionary calling upon followers to forsake this, that or the other thing in order to focus on giving homage to their god.
I think you have plenty of 'wiggle room' to set up any abstinent cult or sect that you like. It may not be popular, but it could exist!

Definitely. I agree.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 05 Oct 2009 21:46:28
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2009 :  21:54:34  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also want to address one more point:

quote:

To take a more Realmsian example, if a priestess of Selune makes a commitment to her goddess that involves abstaining from sexual activity except as part of religious ceremonies conducted under moonlight, that's a form of abstinence. Even though it does allow sex in certain circumstances.

Sexual activity is an important part of what makes us human. And because of that, managing to link it to ceremony or religious constraints is a powerful tool for deities and their clergies.
Absolutely. I haven't seen any stories or played in any games where this has actually been done or utilized as a story element, but it makes perfect sense, and I don't see any reason why it wouldn't happen.

Note that this is not a command to be *abstinent totally*--as Wooly rightly points out, propagation is extremely important to the deities of the Realms. I think the deities are also self-aware enough to recognize that humans have sexual needs, so providing an outlet for that is absolutely something they would do, and tying it to a holy rite is very appropriate.*

Cheers

P.S. This should not be construed as me saying anything about real-life religions or organizations that forbid sexual conduct in any situation. As I said, the religions of the Realms and the society of the Realms is fundamentally different from our own, and what may work here in RL wouldn't necessarily work there in FR. I personally believe that priests should be allowed/encouraged to marry, but then, I was raised Methodist (i.e. heretic protestant!). Whatever people want to do in the context of their own religious faith is strictly up to them--I am *not* in the business of moralizing.

I would also like to vote that we make a concerted effort to separate RL religion from this discussion . . . mostly so that I don't have to waste my and everyone's time with long disclaimer post-scripts like that.

Erik Scott de Bie

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 05 Oct 2009 21:55:29
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000