Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Seven Citadels War
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2006 :  16:32:44  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
We have lore about the seven citadels war in an array of sources. We don't have, however, any information about why it is called such. What were the seven citadels and how did they come to represent the war?

"You came here to be a martyr in a great big bang of glory... instead you will die with a whimper."
::moussaoui tries to interrupt::
"You will never get a chance to speak again and that's an appropriate ending."

-Judge Brinkema

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2006 :  16:40:01  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't really know...I can only guess the Lost Empires of Faerun or the (2E) The North box set have those answers...

I can only guess that each Silvaneude (sp?) city had it's own citadel..I think each was named off of a gemstone or something

thats if I am thinking of the right war

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

- High Mage of the Arcane Assembly
- Lore Keeper of the Vault of Ancestors
- 3rd Son of the Lord of the Stand
Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2006 :  19:49:36  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LEoF doesn't have that information. I don't have The North box set so I can't find out.
Did you have any source for the gemstone theory or is that jsut something floating in your head.

"You came here to be a martyr in a great big bang of glory... instead you will die with a whimper."

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2006 :  19:58:40  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beirnadri Magranth

LEoF doesn't have that information. I don't have The North box set so I can't find out.
Did you have any source for the gemstone theory or is that jsut something floating in your head.

at the moment a fragmented memory floating around in my head...

hmmm...I'll look in my library tonight...I can think of a few more resources: Cormanthyr: Empire of Elves may have some info too...

I don't have easy access to the net on the weekends, so if Sage or whomever can't answer your question I will have tried by Monday

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

Go to Top of Page

Dewaint
Learned Scribe

Germany
148 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2006 :  21:14:13  Show Profile Send Dewaint a Private Message  Reply with Quote
kalin agrivar is right, there are some hints in Cormanthyr: Empire of Elves. So have been called the skirmishes that broke out between forces of Siluvanede and the fledgling forces of Eaerlann. This conflict lasted approximately 200 years: from -4500 DR til -4300DR.

There is more lore about the backround of this conflict in Cormanthyr: EoE. Maybe there a some more hints in older 2ed. sources, but i am quite sure, that the term was first introduced in Cormanthyr: EoE. i think it would be best to look for the time period in other lore books .

Edited by - Dewaint on 15 Sep 2006 21:15:43
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2006 :  01:42:56  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The North boxed set doesn't really provide any specific details about the Seven Citadels War.

'Tis available as a free PDF download at WotC however:- http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/downloads

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2006 :  01:44:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dewaint

There is more lore about the backround of this conflict in Cormanthyr: EoE. Maybe there a some more hints in older 2ed. sources, but i am quite sure, that the term was first introduced in Cormanthyr: EoE. i think it would be best to look for the time period in other lore books .
As well, DRAGON #218.

Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2006 :  06:42:49  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I rereead C:EoE and The North and while being itneresting (especially on events simultaneous to and in between the crown and 7 citadel wars) neither had the info I was looking for. As I thought it probably hasnt been made into canon lore so I think Im gunne ask tho or ed.

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2006 :  14:03:44  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

OK, I'm back

In Lost Empires of Faerun on page 92 it says of Siluvanede cities:

quote:
"The Siluvanedenn favored long, graceful stone structures and bright colors, so they filled their cities with tall towers and slender spires built of brightly colored stone and brick"

It also names two of the seven cities in Siluvanede:Lothen, City of the Silver Spires and Telardon, the City of Emerald Spires

so I was kinda right in my assumption...it wasn't just gemstones, it was probably a mix of precious metal colors and gemstone colors...so there was probably "golden spires", "diamond spires", "saphire spires", etc.

And as for actual facts about the Siluvanede cities and Siluvanede culture, I think LEoF is the best source so far...

I need to check out Dragon #218 tonight...

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2006 :  17:38:22  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
citadel has only come to mean 'tower' in recent times. It traditionally refers to a small town built around adn supporting a central fortress. As an architecture major i am refusing to acknowledge that cities with elven skyscrapers are the citadels that they were speaking of especially since we have no known knowledge that there were 5 other similar cities. I think it more refers to outposts or more fortresslike buildings rather than a collection of towers. but still your theory may hold up. i just hate the prismaticism of d&d with the metallic chromatic and gem dragons etc. so i would be disappointed to see a gold silver copper diamond ruby system forming

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2006 :  18:15:52  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
i just hate the prismaticism of d&d with the metallic chromatic and gem dragons etc. so i would be disappointed to see a gold silver copper diamond ruby system forming

I don't mind the actual dragon types (in fact i wish there were more metalic/color/gem types...it is logical if you are going to group the species like that)...but agree with you if that "symmetry" blueprint is applied to cities (or races or arctifacts, etc.) it gets cheesy sometimes..

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

Go to Top of Page

Dewaint
Learned Scribe

Germany
148 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2006 :  21:11:01  Show Profile Send Dewaint a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by the Sage

As well, DRAGON #218.

i don't found anything that looks elven. Just tons of dragon lore. Sorry but can you give me some hint (or better some page reference ) about #218 ?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2006 :  01:21:38  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

As well, DRAGON #218.

i don't found anything that looks elven. Just tons of dragon lore. Sorry but can you give me some hint (or better some page reference ) about #218 ?

Siluvanede and the Seven Citadels’ War are discussed on pp. 34-35.

I'll note that my mentioning of this particular issue was mainly because it was a source Eric also mentioned in his Mintiper's Chapbook articles at WotC.

Edited by - The Sage on 19 Sep 2006 01:24:00
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2006 :  02:03:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

quote:

As well, DRAGON #218.

Siluvanede and the Seven Citadels’ War are discussed on pp. 34-35.

I'll note that my mentioning of this particular issue was mainly because it was a source Eric also mentioned in his Mintiper's Chapbook articles at WotC.

Someone made a mistake, somewhere... Pages 34 and 35 of Dragon 218 do not have any campaign-specific material; the latter page is a full-page ad, and page 34 is part of an article on multiple plotlines in campaigns.

Edit: Ah, here's the problem: it's issue 228, not 218.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 19 Sep 2006 02:08:42
Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2006 :  03:33:13  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i was gunna say- when i looked at that on piazo i didnt really understand why i should get it.

edit: thats actually not the first time i was told to get this dragon magazine. questions about early athalantar brought me there.

-Judge Brinkema

Edited by - Beirnadri Magranth on 19 Sep 2006 03:36:07
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000