Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Rolled ability scores or point buy system
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
734 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2008 :  20:13:26  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
32 point buy, but to avoid the "average blues" I always use a 16, 15, 13, 12, 11 and a 10 (mixed up as fits the character concept best).

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

Nerfed2Hell
Senior Scribe

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2008 :  21:13:26  Show Profile  Visit Nerfed2Hell's Homepage Send Nerfed2Hell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm a traditionalist... 4d6 drop the lowest and assign.

Some people are like a slinky... not good for much, but when you push them down the stairs, it makes you smile.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2008 :  23:38:39  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ranger_of_the_unicorn_run

I'm not a fan of point puy because it makes everything average. I prefer play characters that are spectacularly good or spectacularly bad and I do 4d6 drop lowest.

I'm not a cheerleader for point-buy, but you can give yourself really high scores and really low scores with point-buy, too.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

ErskineF
Learned Scribe

USA
330 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2008 :  04:04:43  Show Profile  Visit ErskineF's Homepage Send ErskineF a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since 3e came out, we had been doing 32-point buy. For the most recent campaign, we reverted to roll 4d6, drop lowest, and finagle until everyone is happy.

--
Erskine Fincher
http://forgotten-realms.wandering-dwarf.com/index.php
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2008 :  13:58:23  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The 32 point buy system is very misleading. They recommend that most NPCs and Monsters have the ability scores set with either the 11/11/11/10/10/10 or 13/12/11/10/9/8 arrays, which come out to 15 points, or the Elite Array (15/14/13/12/10/8) which is 25 points, so the average PC array (usually averages 16/15/13/12/11/10) would be more than enough to tackle these creatures, even with their bonuses. However, a lot of the heroes and villains published have arrays that in the 45-55 point range. Unfortunately, players see those scores and want to be heroes like that (or be able to defeat the villains) and quickly realize that even with epic levels and magic items, they're still not going to match up.

With the 4d6 drop lowest, there is the chance to get those multiple 18's, which is what most players dream of. (Even the thespians. They like to put it in Charisma. )

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Ionik Knight
Learned Scribe

USA
222 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2008 :  14:06:37  Show Profile  Visit Ionik Knight's Homepage Send Ionik Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe PC's represent the exceptional individual, as such I've always encouraged high scores. I will allow players to plug in lower scores if they wish for concept purposes. My system is roll 4d6 reroll ones and drop the lowest die, roll one extra time (remember Comliness) and drop the lowest set, if all scores are less than 16 raise the lowest score to 16 (remember bonus xp). Of course my npc's receive the same treatment, and my monsters typically start the fight with max HP.

Ionik Knight

Fools to right of them,
Jesters to left of them,
Clowns in front of them
Pun'd and parody'd.
Go to Top of Page

MrHedgehog
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2008 :  17:37:22  Show Profile  Visit MrHedgehog's Homepage Send MrHedgehog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I prefer the point buy system because it is more balanced.
Go to Top of Page

Eremite
Learned Scribe

Singapore
182 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2008 :  12:43:47  Show Profile  Visit Eremite's Homepage Send Eremite a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use point buy for everything:

PCs: 42 points
NPCs: depending on important- 25, 32 or 36 points

Best
E
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: