Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Rolled ability scores or point buy system
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

dwarvenranger
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2006 :  17:58:28  Show Profile  Visit dwarvenranger's Homepage Send dwarvenranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do one of two things. If I want them tough, I'll give everyone a 13,14,15,16,17,and 18 to assign as they wish. If wan't them really tough, I have them roll 4d6, re-rolling ones, 36 times in a 6 high by 6 wide table. Then they can pick their row from the table as long as it's in a straight line; horizontally, vertically, or diagonally.

If I waited till I knew what I was doing, I'd never get anything done.

Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1072 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2006 :  19:18:05  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Normally 4d6, drop lowest. But nobel staus can give bonus on some stat´s after modification.

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1
Go to Top of Page

Alediran
Acolyte

Argentina
36 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2006 :  20:57:23  Show Profile  Visit Alediran's Homepage Send Alediran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

Normally 4d6, drop lowest and assign as wanted.

This is what I do, but if a character gets 3 or more lower than 10 scores I let them reroll.

Alediran of House Tir'ent from Evermeet, the most knowledgeable elven family about Faerûn.

- Member of the Elven Netbook proyect
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2006 :  21:52:11  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I recall a recent poll on ENWorld being strongly in favour of points-assigning. Wonder why the difference (80% in this poll, as of now, preferring to roll).
Go to Top of Page

boddynock
Learned Scribe

Belgium
258 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2007 :  09:26:15  Show Profile  Visit boddynock's Homepage Send boddynock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
roll 4d6 and drop the lowest :), I always use that system and everyone else I know use the same tactic :)
Go to Top of Page

Grimbolt Hammerhand
Acolyte

Germany
15 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2007 :  10:31:42  Show Profile  Visit Grimbolt Hammerhand's Homepage Send Grimbolt Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We used 4d6 drop the lowest for a very long time, but changed to point buying to make gameplay more balanced.

I think, it´s just not fair to have one character with three 18 abilities and one, whose highest score is a 15. But that´s exactly what you get, when you roll your abilities. So I favor point buying right now.
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2007 :  17:31:30  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

I recall a recent poll on ENWorld being strongly in favour of points-assigning. Wonder why the difference (80% in this poll, as of now, preferring to roll).

I think it depends on the campaign - my group has been together for some years now, know my style, and know that some PCs can end up better than others. They're happy to gamble on rolling, knowing that they could end up with bad stats, or even just stats not as good as someone else's. That's fine by me, I like a slightly random element in character creation, and have been randomising starting levels - if I wanted a level 4 or 5 start, I'd have each player roll d2+3 to work out their starting level. I don't think this is particularly unbalancing and it adds a small element of realism to it in that quite often not all adventurers in a group are of equal skill. My players are also fine with that.
However, if I were running a campaign with less experienced players, or players I don't know as well, I would use point buy because it's easier and starts everyone off on an even footing.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Aureus
Learned Scribe

Luxembourg
125 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2007 :  17:55:56  Show Profile Send Aureus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
4d6 drop lowest forever

although point-buy is usefull, but char's always end up a bit flat, not real high stats

That is not the weirdest thing that happened to me
Go to Top of Page

Grehnar
Acolyte

United Kingdom
44 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2007 :  23:22:38  Show Profile  Visit Grehnar's Homepage Send Grehnar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I used to go for 4d6 dropping the player's choice (usually but not always the lowest).
However, recent statistical analysis demonstrates my players to be bare-faced liars.
So lately I've gone for a 28 point-buying system.
Not much has changed.
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2007 :  23:26:00  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wanna breed hero material when I let my players create characters, what they do with the rolled stats is up to them, and if they screw up, they screw up.

4d6 discard lowest and reroll double 1s and 2s. But even then you can get some pretty lame results

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2007 :  00:12:49  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

I wanna breed hero material when I let my players create characters, what they do with the rolled stats is up to them, and if they screw up, they screw up.

4d6 discard lowest and reroll double 1s and 2s. But even then you can get some pretty lame results

That can happen when you roll for it; if you want to guarantee no weak stats, use point buy. But it can be both challenging and entertaining to sometimes play with a poor stat.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2007 :  19:24:20  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I rather like point-buy. It acts as an equalizer, and characters only have "the same stats" if the players insist on min-maxing (that is, there's no rule that point-buy fighters *must* have low INT and CHA scores). And while I'm not going to make any judgments about players here and in pnp campaigns, I noticed that on the Neverwinter Nights CRPG boards, it's almost always the "power-players" who complain about how NWN makes you use the point-buy system (though of course, CRPGs will rolled stats usually let you roll as many times as you want).

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Tyr
Learned Scribe

225 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2007 :  21:38:52  Show Profile  Visit Tyr's Homepage Send Tyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
meh, all point buy does is encourage minmaxing and crippling classes that rely on multiple ability scores like the Paladin. 4d6 may depend on the luck of the dice but point buy favours those who know how to make the perfect build, not the average player.

4d6 drop 1 all the way!
Go to Top of Page

Exploit
Acolyte

Canada
47 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2007 :  22:36:56  Show Profile  Visit Exploit's Homepage Send Exploit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most of the groups that I have played in for the last few years have used the 32 point buy system. Starts players off on an even footing and let's players make up characters without requiring the DM to witness rolls.
Go to Top of Page

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2007 :  15:24:42  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
drop the lowest. 4d6

The brave don't live forever,the cautious don't live at all
Go to Top of Page

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2007 :  15:29:19  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
at one point, i know this sounds crazy, but we just rolled 6 d20's

The brave don't live forever,the cautious don't live at all
Go to Top of Page

sirreus
Learned Scribe

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2007 :  15:58:55  Show Profile  Visit sirreus's Homepage Send sirreus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i allow 4d6 drop 1's. i also bump my npc's accordingly

"The measure of an undisciplined mind, is that the intellect allows emotion to challenge the observed truth" Richard Baker
Go to Top of Page

Mr. Wilson
Seeker

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2007 :  09:06:25  Show Profile  Visit Mr. Wilson's Homepage Send Mr. Wilson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
32 point buy is my preferred system, but we also do 4d6 drop the lowest on occasion.

"I've got a plan..."- Dan
"Nothing good has ever come after those four words." - Jesse
Go to Top of Page

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2007 :  09:18:04  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
most commonly 4d6 ... sometimes with Additionel rules as reroll 1's, sell/buying points afterwards, the whole table use the best row from either player

what happened to the queen? she's much more hysterical than usual
She's a women, it happens once a month
Go to Top of Page

Ugly is the new black
Seeker

Australia
81 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2007 :  10:24:42  Show Profile  Visit Ugly is the new black's Homepage Send Ugly is the new black a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Standard point-buy system for me, although I've been more interested in using non-standard point-buy systems (low or challenging) for some time now. It ensures that the character you're playing has realistic* ability scores, which, in my opinion, helps define the character's concept and personality.

* flawed / not ideal.

love,
nathan.

As he knelt on the ground with his brothers around and the taste of his blood on his tongue,
His brothers knelt by him and prayed him a prayer, and he smiled and he laughed and he sung,
"Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done, the Dornishman's taken my life,
But what does it matter? For all men must die, and I've tasted the Dornishman's wife!"
Go to Top of Page

Matthus
Senior Scribe

Germany
393 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2007 :  13:22:24  Show Profile Send Matthus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My players have a choice:

Roll 4d6 drop lowest as mentioned or distribute 74 points as you like. But after the rolls there is no chance to switch the system . So I seldom have unhappy players – Murphy’s law never gave the “rollers” bad dices – until now .

Edited by - Matthus on 04 Oct 2007 13:22:56
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2007 :  19:13:13  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We go with the 4d6 system...Or a base of 12 + 1d6...

'Everyone dies...I only choose the time and place for a few.' --Eric Destler
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2007 :  20:53:35  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted the roll 4d6, 6 times, drop lowest die & assign because that is what i play most in sessions...but i have not problem with the points buy system...

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2007 :  21:25:39  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm one of these kind DM who lets the players roll three sets of "4d6 - drop lowest - assign as you like" and if that does not make them happy, leave them with 32 Point-buy.
Needless to say, NPCs get the very same chance.

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.

Edited by - Zanan on 02 Dec 2007 21:28:13
Go to Top of Page

Dezmodu
Acolyte

Netherlands
17 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2008 :  19:50:22  Show Profile  Visit Dezmodu's Homepage Send Dezmodu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
we usaly use 4d6 drop lowest, do that 7 times and drop one (not always lowest due to character concept)

paladin: Ignorance is no excuse!
Rogue: Why?
Paladin: I don't know.
Rogue: IGNORANCE IS NO EXCUSE!!!
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2008 :  21:41:04  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
34 unweighted point buy or rolled

i'd vote, but there is not other

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

ShadezofDis
Senior Scribe

402 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2008 :  00:11:16  Show Profile  Visit ShadezofDis's Homepage Send ShadezofDis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like rolling. I do try to make sure the party is balanced though, don't want to make a 3rd wheel type.
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2008 :  00:31:05  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
32pt buy system... for the last 8 years now! :)
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2008 :  20:08:10  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-The group I game with uses the 25 point buy. Better party balance. Some times we will go 40 piont buy for a really high powered game.

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

ranger_of_the_unicorn_run
Learned Scribe

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2008 :  19:20:16  Show Profile Send ranger_of_the_unicorn_run a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not a fan of point puy because it makes everything average. I prefer play characters that are spectacularly good or spectacularly bad and I do 4d6 drop lowest. I had a druid once that had like two 18's and nothing below 12, and another time I had a druid with a 16 as highest score, a 6 in Int, an 8 in Con, and nothing else above 12. She didn't hit a monster once in combat.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000