Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Rolled ability scores or point buy system
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2006 :  17:03:21  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
I think I've noticed a trend in my area, and I'm wondering if its happening everywhere else. With programs like e-tools about, I'm wondering if people have started going towards point buy systems for generating PC ability scores.... or do you still let them roll the die and watch them? If you do use point buy systems, do you use a non-standard point buy system? If you do the rolling the dice system, do you do anything more than "roll 3d6"?

Choices:

roll 3d6, 6 times, take them as they fall
roll 3d6, 6 times, assign as you like
roll 3d6, > 6 times, drop lowest & assign
roll 4d6, 6 times, drop lowest die & assign
roll 5d6, 6 times, drop lowest die & assign
standard point buy system
non-standard point buy - low or challenging
non-standard point buy -tougher /high power

(Anonymous Vote)

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2006 :  17:25:46  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
normally 4d6 ... but my new campaign i let my players use 5d6 ... in which they failed badly in rolling any good in :p

what happened to the queen? she's much more hysterical than usual
She's a women, it happens once a month
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2006 :  17:29:16  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Normally 4d6, drop lowest and assign as wanted.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2006 :  17:39:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The last few times I gamed (way back in the days of 2E), my DM had a slightly more generous method for generating scores: 4d6, drop the lowest and reroll any one die that rolled a one (though not if you rolled more than one one), and do this eight times. Most people would drop the lowest two scores, but I once went with one of the lower ones because it better suited the concept.

His other method was 4d6, drop the lowest and reroll the first one, done 6 times -- but do it twice, generating two sets of scores. You picked the set of scores that worked best for you (the whole set, not mix and match).

Even though I've not played in years, I still have my character dice separated in their own individual bag. I was stuck waiting at the game store one day; my friend Gino was driving that day, and it's nearly impossible to drag him out of a store he likes. While waiting on him to finally get done wandering the isles (as if they had restocked since his previous three passes! ), I randomly picked out two matching pairs of d6s and started rolling. They were consistently rolling great ability scores, so I bought them on the spot. They don't seem to work for anyone but me, but nine times out of ten, they give me some really good scores.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2006 :  17:41:42  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I could live with 4d6 drop lowests, rolled in order. It provides a more diverse range of abilities and character class selection can make for very interesting results.

Oh discard non playable characters (over all stat total too low to be considered viaable) , reroll.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2006 :  17:50:43  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've always used the "Roll 3d6 12 times, pick the six highest and assign" from 2e, but I've changed it a bit. I've discovered, over the years, that I enjoy making difficult games, and I feel a little guilty doing this if my players have low scores. So now I let them reroll all ones.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Bluenose
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
134 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2006 :  17:52:57  Show Profile  Visit Bluenose's Homepage Send Bluenose a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Normally it's 4d6 and drop one for me, but I've used other methods too. For play-by-post games I don't see any practical way not to use point buy unless you have absolute trust in your players. For one-off characters in a short game I also go with point buy. My groups new year day game always involves everyone DMing a quick game when it's best to have characters prepared beforehand, so that usually uses point buy characters.

When I use point buy it's with either 25 or 28 points, depending on how "important" the game feels. If there's a chance the characters will be around more than once, I'll probably go with 28.

I remember the first time I rolled a character back in 1979 the DM told us to roll 3d6 twice for each attribute and take the better score. Then he killed half of us in the first session because our characters were too powerful.

These, in the day when heaven was falling,
The hour when earth's foundations fled,
Followed their mercenary calling
And took their wages and are dead.

Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
What God abandoned, these defended,
And saved the sum of things for pay.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2006 :  18:18:29  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Getting dice rolls online are posible.

There are (or used to be) sites that offered DM dice. What is required is selecting what dice to roll and have results emailed to both DM and player.

Also some chat rooms offer dice rollers, that the DM could watch the player roll. These days it tends to require becoming a regesitered user of the chat site.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2006 :  19:26:41  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted 5d6 even though that does apply to the current campaigns that I run.

What I currently do is 12 + 1d6, with the option to reroll once. But then again, my players tend to suffer for their good stats too.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2006 :  20:25:11  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have tried all those methods in the past...and use none in that pole now..

in my experience (unless you roll just a raw 3d6) you usually get 12-18 for a score...so these days I just roll 2d4+10 for ability scores...which gets you usually a 14, 15 or 16...my campaigns are usually a bit "pulpy" so the high scores are usually needed

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

- High Mage of the Arcane Assembly
- Lore Keeper of the Vault of Ancestors
- 3rd Son of the Lord of the Stand
Go to Top of Page

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2006 :  14:15:12  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i let my players roll 4d6, remove lowest and assign. But i run it with a firm hand. I think it is a great part of the game to roll your own character and use the numbers you get. If they arent as high as they could be, that is just another challenge for the game.

"When dragons make war, worlds can only tremble in the shadow of angry wings"
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2006 :  15:46:48  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We always play the 4d6 6 x's, drop the lowest die and reroll any 1's
Go to Top of Page

Raelan
Acolyte

USA
49 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2006 :  15:57:04  Show Profile  Visit Raelan's Homepage Send Raelan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
These days, I generally use the 4d6-drop-the-lowest method, though I give the players two sets to choose from. In addition (just because I can), I also do the "DM's secret roll", which is a set that I roll up without showing the player, then ask him to choose blindly between the sets he rolled and the set I rolled. I can recall someone who ended up with 6, 8, 9, 11, 15, and 12 to assign as he wished because he took the DM's secret roll. ---> Insert Evil Grin Here <---

Of course, there was also the time when a player picked the DM's secret roll and got two 18's and nothing below a 12. Hey, you can't win 'em all. >:)

There's also an older method that I still use on occasion: the 3d6 power die method. Basically, you roll up 3d6 six times, assigning the resulting numbers to whichever attributes you wish, then you roll 1d6 and can assign the result however you want amongst your attributes.

"I am convinced that one of these days I will be able to run a regular game that doesn't fall apart due to scheduling conflicts. I am also convinced that, on this day, hell will freeze over."
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2006 :  17:06:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Raelan

There's also an older method that I still use on occasion: the 3d6 power die method. Basically, you roll up 3d6 six times, assigning the resulting numbers to whichever attributes you wish, then you roll 1d6 and can assign the result however you want amongst your attributes.

I've done this one, too.

Go to Top of Page

idan_mor
Acolyte

Israel
6 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2006 :  07:46:48  Show Profile  Visit idan_mor's Homepage Send idan_mor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use the 4d6 drop lowest and from there its possible for the players to trade points and assign as wanted. But I think its kinda inviting powergaming... but on the other hand As others more or less wrote here you can make'm pay for that good start.
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2006 :  09:21:22  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The games I've played for the last few years have forgone all of those methods. I like all PCs to start out with the same potential. No rolling of attributes, no rolling of hit points. Everyone gets 1/2 hit die +1. Everyone gets the same number with limitations imposed by the GM. For example, 80 points to distribute between the attributes. No more than one 18. Unlike in 2nd ed., high attributes are significantly less important. There is no difference between an 18 and a 19 in 3/3.5, thus the points system is really flawed. I know lots of people like all of these things and don't hold it against them if they use them. This is just my preferred method.

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein

Edited by - EytanBernstein on 10 Sep 2006 09:22:27
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2006 :  04:59:36  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We use 4d6, drop the lowest. I also let my guys reroll one 1 during the process.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2006 :  05:14:58  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
non-standard point buy -tougher /high power (i.e. 32-pt buy) since February 2001... never looked back ever since! Amen to having all your players start on an equal footing! (hate superstars! )
Go to Top of Page

Delzounblood
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
578 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2006 :  14:44:58  Show Profile Send Delzounblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've always used my own method it's similar to the 4d6 drop lowest and asign.

4d6 re-roll any 1's
Drop lowest ( prob 2's or three's )
order as you like.

BUT on occasion I have allowed players to then subtract and add points using the point buy, if they had really bad scores but I never let them start from scratch. You get some really interesting results that way ie Intelligence mxed out to 18 but pitiful str, Con and Dex etc....

I'm Back!
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2006 :  14:26:29  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use point buy system because it makes it fair (all the players are equally powerful as far as attirbutes go, whereas in the past when we roled, one guy always got super lucky while the others had poor luck unbalancing the party)....and I use the higher powered one to reflect that the PCs are (or will be) heroes.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2006 :  15:13:34  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I generally use the 4d6, 6 times system. But in forum and mail games, I´m using the point buy system, with 32 points.

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2006 :  18:07:40  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, so far looks like I'm seeing more point buy than in the past (I also do the 32 point point buy system now). I find even when you spread it out for most gain, you still only have a handful of 14's, 1 16, and probably a pair of 10's. Still a lot more people are still rolling up.
Phillip aka Sleyvas

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2006 :  18:12:25  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Well, so far looks like I'm seeing more point buy than in the past (I also do the 32 point point buy system now). I find even when you spread it out for most gain, you still only have a handful of 14's, 1 16, and probably a pair of 10's. Still a lot more people are still rolling up.
Phillip aka Sleyvas

I don't mind having a couple of 8s to have that one 18. A dumb half-orc with 20 strength is kinda fun.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2006 :  19:13:25  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
so, with all these different methods, you all are getting about the same spread of ability score #s?

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

- High Mage of the Arcane Assembly
- Lore Keeper of the Vault of Ancestors
- 3rd Son of the Lord of the Stand
Go to Top of Page

Drakul
Senior Scribe

USA
367 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2006 :  19:43:36  Show Profile Send Drakul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
4d6 drop the lowest.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDonLNKf6_KA9Qlal3Qu3zQ?view_as=subscriber
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2006 :  20:15:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Phillip aka Sleyvas

I don't mind having a couple of 8s to have that one 18. A dumb half-orc with 20 strength is kinda fun.

That's similar to my minotaur's scores, back in 2E: 19, 11, 17, 11, 9, 9 (post-adjusted for race, obviously). Gods, I had fun playing him. He remains one of my fave characters, and when I finally get to DM, he'll be an NPC (living in Waterdeep, of course).

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2006 :  20:34:53  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kalin agrivar

so, with all these different methods, you all are getting about the same spread of ability score #s?

Not realy, 3d6 = average of 9.5, 4d6 (drop lowests) = average of 12.25

Reroll ones, 5d6 (drop loweat two) I have not seen calculations on and do not intend to brute froce them to find the averages.

Point buy itself can not be calculated to an average because of the personal options selected, buying an 18 instead of a 16 as highest effect averages very much.

Could calculate average of 7 sets of rolls the last roll extra points to asign to any of the existing stats.

Go to Top of Page

Zimme
Learned Scribe

Denmark
209 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2006 :  11:17:15  Show Profile Send Zimme a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Drakul

4d6 drop the lowest.

I second that!! allways have, allways will!!

Sometimes I feel like Beshaba is sitting on my back, devoting her entire attention to me!

Rannek.

Go to Top of Page

Bluenose
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
134 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2006 :  12:24:18  Show Profile  Visit Bluenose's Homepage Send Bluenose a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

quote:
Originally posted by kalin agrivar

Not realy, 3d6 = average of 9.5, 4d6 (drop lowests) = average of 12.25

Reroll ones, 5d6 (drop loweat two) I have not seen calculations on and do not intend to brute froce them to find the averages.

Point buy itself can not be calculated to an average because of the personal options selected, buying an 18 instead of a 16 as highest effect averages very much.

Could calculate average of 7 sets of rolls the last roll extra points to asign to any of the existing stats.

Averages for some of the easier ones.

Straight 3d6 = 10.5

3d6, reroll 1s till you get something better = 12

4d6, drop lowest = 12.24

5d6, drop lowest 2 = 13.43

Point buy it depends on the points and what people use them for. With 32 points you could get an average of 13.33 at the most efficient purchase rate with no stats over 14.

I might have a try on the other methods tonight. I was surprised that 5d6 was more than a point better than 4d6 myself.

These, in the day when heaven was falling,
The hour when earth's foundations fled,
Followed their mercenary calling
And took their wages and are dead.

Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
What God abandoned, these defended,
And saved the sum of things for pay.
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2006 :  10:35:01  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very interesting poll! I did not find my dice rolling method - its 5d6, 6 times, drop lowest two dices, assign freely. I voted for the 5d6-option anyway. However, last time I rolled for character stats is ages ago since I am DM for quite some time now and my NPC's don't roll their stats! [Evil grin] And my PCs just won't die or are reluctant to stay dead!
None the less, if I ever start a new campaign and thereby confront myself with this again I will not use that system anymore but take the standard point-buy system. It is more fitting to the stats pßresented in the source books as my system tends to overpower the PCs

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Edited by - Ergdusch on 15 Sep 2006 10:36:59
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2006 :  12:04:30  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I used to play with 32 point buy, but then my players wanted to roll instead. So we've been using roll 4d6, drop the lowest score and assign as you like. However, the player may re-roll one single die somewhere along the lines, but they have to stick with the second score even if it's worse. For example, 6, 6, 2, 1 is an ideal opportunity for a re-roll - if the 1 is re-rolled, the minimum score is still 14 even if 1 is rolled again, but there is potential for an 18.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000