Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Adventuring
 Warlock/hexblade
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bladedancer
Learned Scribe

USA
149 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2006 :  17:44:07  Show Profile  Visit Bladedancer's Homepage Send Bladedancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well my character Josidiah Nularreth is now dead. After killing a couple of nilshai (while the rest of the party only injuring one) the rest of the abberations decided to concentrate their attacks on Josidiah. After a swarm of spells reduced the elf to ashes (no ressurection)

I am now considering making a gold elf hexblade/warlock combo of the same clan as Josidiah (I spent way too much time on the House background to scrap it With much of the ideas coming from the great people here.) So I was wondering what you folks think about that class combo and how it fits in with the realms flavor-wise.

Solarr Bladedancer
Mercenary For Hire
Master of the Ginsu Knives
They Slice They Dice They Will Cut through A Tin Can

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2006 :  17:50:40  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How sinister do you want to make this guy? Hexblades can't be good, and Warlocks have to be either evil or chaotic, so I'm guessing this won't be someone designed to outshine a paladin.

Warlocks, as described, always struck me as characters that couldn't learn the Art in the standard manner, so they had to resort to the "pact" that is mentioned in the character class description. You may not interpret them the same way, so I would be interested to see how you view the class.
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2006 :  06:14:51  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

How sinister do you want to make this guy? Hexblades can't be good, and Warlocks have to be either evil or chaotic, so I'm guessing this won't be someone designed to outshine a paladin.

Warlocks, as described, always struck me as characters that couldn't learn the Art in the standard manner, so they had to resort to the "pact" that is mentioned in the character class description. You may not interpret them the same way, so I would be interested to see how you view the class.

Gold elf could work, but Star Elves have more of a warlock connection. The first (as far as I'm aware) warlock mentioned in the realms is a Star Elf named Pherix Traeleth (who is also a Master of the Yuirwood). If you are fighting Nilshai, odds are you are in or near that area, so you already have a connection.

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein

Edited by - EytanBernstein on 31 Aug 2006 06:16:04
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2006 :  11:44:48  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by EytanBernstein

quote:

Is that one of your old characters that you've written into the chapter preamble of one of the upcoming books? Or did I dream that?

Gold elf could work, but Star Elves have more of a warlock connection. The first (as far as I'm aware) warlock mentioned in the realms is a Star Elf named Pherix Traeleth (who is also a Master of the Yuirwood). If you are fighting Nilshai, odds are you are in or near that area, so you already have a connection.

Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2006 :  22:35:09  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kaladorm

quote:

quote:

Is that one of your old characters that you've written into the chapter preamble of one of the upcoming books? Or did I dream that?

Indeed. It is actually one of my current characters. I play in two regular realms games. One, as I mentioned above is a more recently begun campaign where I play a Sun Elf Duskblade 3 from Silverymoon. The other is with the high level Star Elf Warlock. The quote is at the beginning of the Magic Item section.

I'm actually quite pleased with that little reference. I think it's better to include a rather small reference that gives people some precedent in case they one to play the class. If people don't want to include warlocks in the Realms, they can just assume that warlock meant "dark male sorcerer." It works just as well. Small references make room for bigger things later.

Go to Top of Page

Kazzaroth
Learned Scribe

Finland
104 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2006 :  22:56:34  Show Profile  Visit Kazzaroth's Homepage Send Kazzaroth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, in my opinion hexblades somereason or other are form cursed bloodline or are cursed somehow, not seriously tough but it may be well known that ill happens to people who they come close to and because of that they are bitter and so they are never good I think (a family cursed by Beshaba or other god would sound intresting, and of course curse maker is always neutral or evil deity or powerfull outsdier of similar alignments).

Warlocks are often descendants of those who mettled up whit fiendish entity as pact but some others are merely connected to chaotic good or chaotic neutral outsiders (even fae has been suggested).

So, we speak of person who is both cursed and haves magic infused bloodline becuase of pwoerfull magicall ancestor who made pact or traded part of his soul to gain power and that power has heritaged by blood.

So this fellow ahves alot potential be very vicious villain, very grim warrior whit mysterious powers or very skilled hunter of darkness (who uses dark tricks against bad guys but is far from noble).

Anycase if we speak of a sun elven hexblade/warlock, my suggestion would go to a descendant of Vyshaanti. Vyshaanti MADE pacts whit devil and some archmages actually traded their souls for power, after vyshaanti empire felled any remaining vyshaanti descendants were cursed (I read this somewhere but anycase curse did not kill the vyshaanti descendants nor there are much details about it).

So perhaps a branch of family who haves vyshaanti empire descendant as ancestor.
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2006 :  09:21:26  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry to take things off track a bit but, as someone who's played a warlock, what's your opinion on their balance in the game? To me the ability to do damage as a ranged touch attack (and quite a lot of damage it seems) is pretty powerful, and as far as I can see you can use it an unlimited number of times a day?
Go to Top of Page

Kazzaroth
Learned Scribe

Finland
104 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2006 :  12:37:23  Show Profile  Visit Kazzaroth's Homepage Send Kazzaroth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At low levels warlock is real power grinder in ranged combat but in higher levels warlock is outmatched by ANY other arcane caster in damage potential and also spell versatility. Warlocks can be versatile also and they have unlimited amount of times how many times they can use invocations but they still lack some spells and of course damage potential of normal caster (warlocks can bestly do 9d6 damage whit eldrict blast while sorcerror could blast 20d6 whit a spell and even empower and maximize it).

But that's why they are experts in UMD skill likely and they spend fortunes to get wands, scrolls and staffs to match up casters versatility and damage potential by occassion and of course some of the invocations are very handy to warlock even later levels and warlocks are generally tougher than normal spellcasters generally.
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2006 :  07:15:07  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sorry to take things off track a bit but, as someone who's played a warlock, what's your opinion on their balance in the game? To me the ability to do damage as a ranged touch attack (and quite a lot of damage it seems) is pretty powerful, and as far as I can see you can use it an unlimited number of times a day?

My experience is that until about 4th-5th level, they are incredibly weak. They have a few minor tricks and they have a low damage attack with no per day limit. Between 6-12th, they can seriously overshadow fighter classes and often overshadow wizards. A lot of it depends on how the DM runs the game. If a DM is used to making lots of little encounters that chip away at HP, but are not that deadly in and of themselves (though an orc can always crit), a warlock will tend to seem extremely powerful. These also tend to be the same GMs (no offense, but I think they may be control freaks) who feel overwhelmed by this class.

In mid-upper levels, the warlock levels off. A skilled player with a competent build can manage to keep up with other characters. I find a straight up warlock with no theme or PrC to be a bit more the boring and weak side by about 13th-14th level, but that's just me. It is really important to find a theme and stick with it. (Look for more material to come on themes for warlocks). I'd rather not comment too much on my own character's experience, though I can say that he is a Warlock 8/Master of the Yuirwood 10. Anything more might interfere with future work.

Edited by - EytanBernstein on 03 Sep 2006 23:07:07
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2006 :  07:28:52  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Personally I reckon they should dump the 3ed Spellfire rules and use a modified version of Warlock class (Less all the evilness) as a Spellfire wielder class

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2006 :  13:40:45  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

My experience is that until about 4th-5th level, they are incredibly weak. They have a few minor tricks and they have a low damage attack with no per day limit.

That's sort of funny. I seem to recall that the designers of NWN2 said somewhere that they included the Warlock among the available classes to get an arcane spellcaster that was less weak at lower levels into the game. But...my memory have been like swiss cheese lately, so I could be completeky wrong, of course.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2006 :  23:08:42  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

quote:

quote:

My experience is that until about 4th-5th level, they are incredibly weak. They have a few minor tricks and they have a low damage attack with no per day limit.

That's sort of funny. I seem to recall that the designers of NWN2 said somewhere that they included the Warlock among the available classes to get an arcane spellcaster that was less weak at lower levels into the game. But...my memory have been like swiss cheese lately, so I could be completeky wrong, of course.

That certainly may have been the aim, but that's probably because wizards and sorcerers are extremely weak until about 4th-5th level. The warlock is slightly more durable because he doesn't run out of powers, but his powers are less potent at that level.

Go to Top of Page

Bladedancer
Learned Scribe

USA
149 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2006 :  17:45:08  Show Profile  Visit Bladedancer's Homepage Send Bladedancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the help folks! I will probably go with mostly warlock with a few levels of hexblade mixed in (for the familiar and mettle).

Cheers

Solarr Bladedancer
Mercenary For Hire
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2006 :  06:16:47  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bladedancer

Thanks for all the help folks! I will probably go with mostly warlock with a few levels of hexblade mixed in (for the familiar and mettle).

Cheers

I've often wanted mettle and evasion for my current warlock because of how high his saves are.

Go to Top of Page

Bladedancer
Learned Scribe

USA
149 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2006 :  14:39:40  Show Profile  Visit Bladedancer's Homepage Send Bladedancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would like to hear more about your character Mr.Bernstein. like how a warlock became a Master of the Yuirwood? He sounds like a down right interesting character.

Solarr Bladedancer
Mercenary For Hire
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2006 :  22:44:29  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bladedancer

I would like to hear more about your character Mr.Bernstein. like how a warlock became a Master of the Yuirwood? He sounds like a down right interesting character.

If things go my way in the next few months, you will, though I can't say how or where. :)

Go to Top of Page

Bladedancer
Learned Scribe

USA
149 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2006 :  20:42:19  Show Profile  Visit Bladedancer's Homepage Send Bladedancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let me guess NDA? If is I need to dig by NDA-bane urgosh out of storage. Thanks for the teaser. I think :)

Solarr Bladedancer
Mercenary For Hire
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2006 :  01:34:57  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I try to keep Warlocks to a bare minimun. There are only 3 known in the Realms and they are a major hidden power.

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

ShadowJack
Senior Scribe

USA
350 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2006 :  12:31:41  Show Profile  Visit ShadowJack's Homepage Send ShadowJack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Merrik,
Who and where are these three warlocks? I am curious...

ShadowJack
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2006 :  17:26:40  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ShadowJack

Merrik,
Who and where are these three warlocks? I am curious...

Sorry I just read my post. I was only referring to how my campaign works. There are no official ones that I know of.

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

saethar
Acolyte

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2006 :  21:10:31  Show Profile  Visit saethar's Homepage Send saethar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm working on a Half-drow warlock at the moment. Of course we've created a warlock variant and stripped out the whole fiend/pact part of it. We're working with the assumption that warlocks are directly connected to the Weave in some way. Still working on the rules for wild/dead magic areas (thankfully this issue hasn't come up in the game yet).

--
Saethar
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2006 :  21:41:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by saethar

I'm working on a Half-drow warlock at the moment. Of course we've created a warlock variant and stripped out the whole fiend/pact part of it. We're working with the assumption that warlocks are directly connected to the Weave in some way. Still working on the rules for wild/dead magic areas (thankfully this issue hasn't come up in the game yet).

--
Saethar

Myself, I'd leave the pact, but allow it to be with other powerful beings... As for tying a warlock into the Weave, that would put them under the same limitations as any other Weave caster when in wild or dead magic areas.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2006 :  03:37:39  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Complete Mage has a whole section talking about the various beings that might make a pact with Warlocks. While fiends are one option, they also mention eladrin (rarely), fey, and slaadi as well. Personally, I always thought a warlock that had made a pact with slaadi would be an excellent RP hook.
Go to Top of Page

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2006 :  13:14:59  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well ... for some reason i keep playing with the idea of making a half-fey Wild Elf Warlock ... that have pacted with fey ... and proberly also have some Druid levels :P

hmm ... how to translate infusion levels to arcane levels in terms of going Geomancer

what happened to the queen? she's much more hysterical than usual
She's a women, it happens once a month
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000