Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Adventuring
 Readily available Dragon-hoards?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ShadowJack
Senior Scribe

USA
350 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2006 :  21:00:10  Show Profile  Visit ShadowJack's Homepage Send ShadowJack a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I just finished re-reading the year of Rogue Dragons series and it got me thinking... With all of the dragons killed during Sammaster's Rage wouldn't there be a large number of dragon troves hidden away unclaimed? With a dragon's proclivity towards trapping and hiding there lairs it might make for some interesting, quick dungeon crawls...
Now what if a clever and bold young copper dragon got the same idea? Said Copper starts tracking down the hidden hoards of evil dragos that got killed, using his illusion abilities to gather information in towns and even from other dragons, all cloaked in illusion. Perhaps he even hires the PC's to assist him, all in the intersts of quickly building his own hoard with minimum effort and danger to himself. Sound plausible? Let me know what you think...

ShadowJack

EytanBernstein
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2006 :  21:30:47  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ShadowJack

I just finished re-reading the year of Rogue Dragons series and it got me thinking... With all of the dragons killed during Sammaster's Rage wouldn't there be a large number of dragon troves hidden away unclaimed? With a dragon's proclivity towards trapping and hiding there lairs it might make for some interesting, quick dungeon crawls...
Now what if a clever and bold young copper dragon got the same idea? Said Copper starts tracking down the hidden hoards of evil dragos that got killed, using his illusion abilities to gather information in towns and even from other dragons, all cloaked in illusion. Perhaps he even hires the PC's to assist him, all in the intersts of quickly building his own hoard with minimum effort and danger to himself. Sound plausible? Let me know what you think...

That sort of thing is happening in droves. Most likely candidates would be less powerful dragons and drakes who want more power quickly after their more powerful cousins died.

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2006 :  21:43:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd fully expect surviving dragons to be out there, grabbing as many unprotected hordes as they can -- or having servants/minions/followers/agents/unwitting dupes doing it for them.

To add to your idea, have the copper send the PCs after an unprotected horde -- and then they have to contend with someone else who has the same idea. Or maybe he's using the PCs as a distraction, as he goes in to grab it himself...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 01 Nov 2006 21:45:07
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2006 :  22:12:18  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
and don't forget the Cult of the Dragons is always on the look out for unprotected hoards...to give to their dracoliches

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

- High Mage of the Arcane Assembly
- Lore Keeper of the Vault of Ancestors
- 3rd Son of the Lord of the Stand
Go to Top of Page

Silvanus79
Seeker

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2006 :  22:29:52  Show Profile  Visit Silvanus79's Homepage Send Silvanus79 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not to mention the Zhents, Red Wizards after the magic and money, and even a few rival "good" organizations. It's like the California Gold Rush all over again! Oodles of campaign ideas there!

(I always wanted to use the word "oodles" in a post! )

Procrastinators unite! Tomorrow.
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2006 :  22:31:18  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Silvanus79

Not to mention the Zhents, Red Wizards after the magic and money, and even a few rival "good" organizations. It's like the California Gold Rush all over again! Oodles of campaign ideas there!

(I always wanted to use the word "oodles" in a post! )

I agree, but I think the Cult actually have a "branch" always on the lookout for lost/abandoned/helpless hoards...

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

Go to Top of Page

ShadowJack
Senior Scribe

USA
350 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2006 :  12:31:21  Show Profile  Visit ShadowJack's Homepage Send ShadowJack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks all for the ideas. Thank you Eytan for the confirmation. Wooly, as always you frighten me with your devious, fuzzy brain. Kalin and Silvanus, I never thought about all the powerful groups in the Realms that would attempt to increase their wealth and power by grabbing unclaimed dragon troves. Of course the Cult of the Dragon is in a unique position to do this, they would have more info on evil dragons and the location of their lairs than anyone. The other power groups would be likely as well. How much forgotten lore and ancient secrets do you suppose would be in the treasures of older dragons? What kind of secrets do you suppose a dragon like Malazan kept in her lair. What I am saying is, would recovery of lost and ancient lore be a draw to some groups to get their hands on unclaimed hoards? Not so much magic items as old records, maybe spells, maps showing ancient kingdoms, that kind of thing...

ShadowJack
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2006 :  15:33:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

What I am saying is, would recovery of lost and ancient lore be a draw to some groups to get their hands on unclaimed hoards? Not so much magic items as old records, maybe spells, maps showing ancient kingdoms, that kind of thing...

Certainly, if it was known or suspected that the dragon held such material. For example, if a dragon had items in his hoard known to date back to Netheril, imagine everyone trying to get there first... The Shades would claim it as their heritage, and just about every power group (particularly magic-heavy ones like the Zhents, Arcane Brotherhood, the Red Wizards of Wal-Mart, the Twisted Rune, etc) would try to claim it for themselves, either to use it or to deny it to enemies (the latter could be the motivation for good groups like the Harpers or Tel'Teukiira). Various individuals, including mages, historians, and other dragons would be doing the same thing, thus complicating the efforts of the various groups... Plus, various parties could simply use the struggle to their advantage, setting groups against each other to either weaken them or make it possible for other players to benefit... And undoubtedly, anyone involved in this mess could be an agent (perhaps unwittingly) for one or more of the other parties...

There is simply way too much potential here! Straight combat, layers of intrigue, a mixture of the two... You can run with this in so many different directions, and for so long...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2006 :  15:56:54  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

What I am saying is, would recovery of lost and ancient lore be a draw to some groups to get their hands on unclaimed hoards? Not so much magic items as old records, maybe spells, maps showing ancient kingdoms, that kind of thing...

Certainly, if it was known or suspected that the dragon held such material.

like that blue dragon Iymrith in the City of Spires in the Frozen Sea of Anauroch that has been plundering netherese and sarukh ruins for her own power?

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

Go to Top of Page

ShadowJack
Senior Scribe

USA
350 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2006 :  19:56:07  Show Profile  Visit ShadowJack's Homepage Send ShadowJack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very good example, Kalin! Great point.

ShadowJack
Go to Top of Page

VonRaventheDaring
Learned Scribe

USA
197 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2006 :  14:48:12  Show Profile  Visit VonRaventheDaring's Homepage Send VonRaventheDaring a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now while the cult is in a good position to grab those hordes its also weak as most of its minnions of note that were killed by evil dragons when they discoved the rage was over, so that is a possiblity as well not to mention that those hordes are probabbly well protected and if you find one it will be a freefor all with all the interested parties going for them at the same time.

"Develop the latent abilities within you for that is your power alone. Psionics is the ultimate art of magic and you are its practitioner. Through lifelong dedication, strive to unite your will with your physical form to become one. Only through the unrestrained union of one’s mind and body can the magic of psionics truly be mastered. Throw off the yoke of any who would impose tyranny upon you. Likewise, do not ever force another to submit to your will. Free your mind, free yourself and you have only just begun the path to true psionic mastery. Free others, open their minds to the Invisible Art, and you will show them way to Auppenser."
---Dogma of the Church of Auppenser
Go to Top of Page

ShadowJack
Senior Scribe

USA
350 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2006 :  15:29:36  Show Profile  Visit ShadowJack's Homepage Send ShadowJack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
* Spoilers * Spoilers * Spoilers *

It is very sadistic of me, but I loved that part of the Ruin, where the evil dragons take their disappointment/anger out on the Cultists... I REALLY do not like the Cult of the Dragon.

ShadowJack
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000