Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Mythal Creativity(beyond the rules)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

FreezeChaser
Acolyte

19 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2006 :  03:28:02  Show Profile  Visit FreezeChaser's Homepage Send FreezeChaser a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello, this topic is about injecting creativity in creating mythals. Though there are examples of what to put inside a mythal, I would like to know the opinions of experienced DMs and PCs here on what kind of traits would they put into a mythal if they can, of course something more creative than what you see in the rule books and stories.

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2006 :  16:09:51  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FreezeChaser

Hello, this topic is about injecting creativity in creating mythals. Though there are examples of what to put inside a mythal, I would like to know the opinions of experienced DMs and PCs here on what kind of traits would they put into a mythal if they can, of course something more creative than what you see in the rule books and stories.

I have started designing a mythal for my (poor and neglected ) campaign...I have all the books needed (the Epic Handbook, the Lost Empires book, etc.) and have been going through my vast collection of 3E material for the spells and inspiration needed to make a mythal...

I am far from completing my mythal but all I have to say so far is that I think Mythal creation is probably a broken spell when you use the additional spell casters to reduce the DC of the spell...like Khelban's new city, the casting of the epic spell becomes much easier when you have multiple spell casters...food for thought: imagine every spellcaster in Thay participating in casting a grand, world-dominating mythal...

I also have two big questions for the Sage or anyone else :

has anyone officially or unofficially produced the "mythal alteration" epic spell that Araevin uses in the Last Mythal novel series? If there is one it would really impact the development of my game

and does the circle casting feat (or a similair PrC ability) affect the spellcaster level of the primary mythal castor?

thanks!

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

- High Mage of the Arcane Assembly
- Lore Keeper of the Vault of Ancestors
- 3rd Son of the Lord of the Stand
Go to Top of Page

mikethogan
Acolyte

1 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2008 :  01:51:41  Show Profile  Visit mikethogan's Homepage Send mikethogan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a question about different types of mythals. They are supposed to be made by arcane magic right? So what are they called if they are made though divine magic or even the epic manifestation feat. The spell seed seens to have no restrictions to prevent this.
Go to Top of Page

Vangelor
Learned Scribe

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2008 :  02:47:47  Show Profile Send Vangelor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is indeed speculation that Divine magic culd be used to create mythals. Their elven originators were simply more proficient with Art Arcane.

In my hme campaign, one of my fading, ancient mythals was created in collaboration with the fey, and included druidic magic. An early effort, it is dependant upon an "anchor" stone (which serves other purposes, including serving as a primitive tel'kiira) and also requires periodic maintenance through rituals whose true purposes is largely forgotten althugh the green elf inhabitants continue t faithfully enact them. A few of its powers deal with making the environs more habitable. Most were re-designated ages ago to serve the needs of concealment for the settlement.

If every wizard in Thay could set aside personal ambition long enough to cooperate on a single goal, the effect could be devestating, if they succeeded. So thank the gods for short-sighted greed. ;)

As well, rituals take time, and one of that sort would probably attract potentially disruptive attention from any number of quarters.

Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2008 :  15:32:36  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mythal creation is quite a fun topic to pursue for your PCs. I think the most interesting thing about Mythals is that it is ancient and well guarded art, for the most part. :) Something I might suggest for a mythal is the denial of a type of action. If you think of all the examples in the FR novels then maybe you add some power that summons the elven ancestors long dead to provide lore in n elven city's library. This lets you inject information into the campaign and allows you to have ghosts talking to your characters. You could also have a dragon warding zone in the mythal zone...but a dragon secret dwells in the city as it was trapped inside the boundary upon the creation of the mythal. The dragon appears to be an elven noble but is really a nasty green dragon waiting for its time to strike, or a group of PCs to use to find a way out.

You could always give the mythals powers that are helpful to a city of flying defenders, teleporting guards, or almost impenetrable camouflage powered by mythal inside (intel inside joke).

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

The Simbul
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2008 :  05:26:10  Show Profile  Visit The Simbul's Homepage Send The Simbul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What rules edition are you using?

2E mythals used a separate and esoteric rules system, allowed for some creativity and uniqueness, but lacked rules balance and the act of creating them was limited exclusively to NPCs.

3E was more structured, was incorporated into the standard epic spell system rather than using its own rules, and was actually available for Player Characters to use, but was excessively complicated and easily broken.

4E allows for much more simplicity and creativity for creating mythals. They are basically a story element that is just "there" in the location, without the need for the DM to provide every last tibit of information on their creation or caster level or save DCs. And yet still they are balanced in that their powers are much like other terrain modifiers to combat. Meanwhile, having a mythal that gives a +2 bonus to your allies attack rolls/checks and a -2 penalty to your enemies is far more conducive to a gameplay table than having to keep track of a dozen or more separate vanguard spells that functionally in the end will provide the same combat bonuses/penalties, but with more bookwork. Moreover, since they are a story element their powers can range from a simple +2 bonus to the devastatingly powerful spell defenses of Evereska, or whatever else the DM needs in between.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000