Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Realms art: (landscapes and characters)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  20:20:04  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Here's an interesting article on the differences between American and British cover art.

For my tastes there has always been too much art of Realms characters, and not enough of places and landscapes. I do (and I'm British) prefer to imagine characters for myself, to a point, but also, character illustration is so personal to particular artists that most Realms art of figures I just don't imagine as existing in the Realms. For a while, Dragon covers were almost all posed 'aren't I cool?' glamour shots of people, rather than people acting in situations in places. That kind of art is particularly unsuited to the Realms, which is about groups and societies -- the 'me me me' egotists are villains.

I find it amazing that there still isn't a single officially published illustration of (somewhere as 'iconic' as) Shadowdale. I want to see big, lush landscapes, and I can then imagine my and others' characters in those landscapes. ('I want to go there!', rather than 'I want to know [or worse, be] him/her!')

Just as I can write in British and American English but not Canadian, I wonder how Canadian jackets differ.

jmf
Acolyte

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  20:44:43  Show Profile  Visit jmf's Homepage Send jmf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i perfer american myself but i really would like to see more background.

new too forgotten realms help me
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  20:45:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's part of why I've not liked the artwork in a long time... Look at Larry Elmore's stuff. Sure, he's got the glamor shots, but at the same time, he pays a lot of attention to the scenery, and makes the area the characters are standing in seem as real as the characters themselves.

One of my favorite pics by him, and the one occupying the center spot on my living room wall, shows a young man and a young woman crossing a series of stepping stones across some body of water. A large serpent-like creature is rearing out of the water. The young man is holding up a glowing amulet in one hand, and his other hand is linked with the girl's.

I've no idea who the characters are. I don't know what setting it is, I don't know what the situation is (beyond the obvious). But when I look at the picture, I know there's a story there. And that potential story fascinates me. It's a large part of why I like the picture. It's not the image itself, it's the story behind the image.

Taking a quick glance at Larry Elmore's website, I see a lot of other images like that. Even those that have the action poses and that I know the story for, the background scenery is still an important part of the overall image, and adds to the overall picture. Here's some at random:

http://www.larryelmore.com/popups/color/co223.htm
http://www.larryelmore.com/popups/color/co179.htm
http://www.larryelmore.com/popups/color/co084.htm
http://www.larryelmore.com/popups/color/co027.htm
http://www.larryelmore.com/popups/color/co005.htm
http://www.larryelmore.com/popups/color/co009.htm
http://www.larryelmore.com/popups/color/co029.htm
http://www.larryelmore.com/popups/color/co150.htm
http://www.larryelmore.com/popups/color/co015.htm
http://www.larryelmore.com/popups/color/co054.htm

Some are FR, some are DL, some are from other settings. But all of them show the surrounding land, and in some cases, the landscape makes the picture work so much better that it otherwise would have.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  22:15:58  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer
For a while, Dragon covers were almost all posed 'aren't I cool?' glamour shots of people, rather than people acting in situations in places. That kind of art is particularly unsuited to the Realms, which is about groups and societies -- the 'me me me' egotists are villains.

Interesting point. But then again, I have to admit that I kind of like glamour shot style photography (and hence, artwork), and as far as I can tell, a lot of people in both America and Britain like that style as well (or at least, it's everywhere in the visual media).

Still, I agree that I'd love to see more landscape-style pictures.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  23:14:48  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
[i]Originally posted by Faraer
I find it amazing that there still isn't a single officially published illustration of (somewhere as 'iconic' as) Shadowdale.

I was reading up on Ed and THO's 2004 Q&A and interestingly enough Ed referenced an English Forest/Park in West Central England (at the time I wikipedia'd it) and I got to see what Ed knows that the Dales woodlands look like. It's a March 2004 reply. Check it out friend. Cheers.

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2006 :  04:31:19  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with Farear to a point if we are talking of covers, but more when it comes to interior art of gaming products. Volos guide to all things Magical was the nearest thing to the kind of illustrations I would like to see. Although Fabians work in Forgotten Realms adventures would be my all time favorite, but his style is a little to personal to be used in general. But even these two were to character focused. I would like to see landscapes, commoners houses. No more armor or bad fighting poses.

When it comes to the covers I prefer the old 2ed material, or more generally, the american style of the late 70's and early 80's. When I imagine the realms, its the style of Elmore, Parkinson and the rest of the old illustrators.

Edited by - Jorkens on 13 Aug 2006 04:55:22
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2006 :  04:58:15  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really liked Elmore's and Parkinson's works, too...

Planescape Fanatic

"Fiends and Undead are the peanut butter and jelly of evil." - Me
"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2006 :  05:03:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love Elmore's art -- his DL works are part of what made those earlier books such a treat for me to read.

I've also enjoyed his work on the Sovereign Stone setting as well.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 13 Aug 2006 05:04:59
Go to Top of Page

Conlon
Learned Scribe

Canada
132 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2006 :  05:23:06  Show Profile  Visit Conlon's Homepage Send Conlon a Private Message  Reply with Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

Here's an interesting article on the differences between American and British cover art.

For my tastes there has always been too much art of Realms characters, and not enough of places and landscapes. I do (and I'm British) prefer to imagine characters for myself, to a point, but also, character illustration is so personal to particular artists that most Realms art of figures I just don't imagine as existing in the Realms. For a while, Dragon covers were almost all posed 'aren't I cool?' glamour shots of people, rather than people acting in situations in places. That kind of art is particularly unsuited to the Realms, which is about groups and societies -- the 'me me me' egotists are villains.

I find it amazing that there still isn't a single officially published illustration of (somewhere as 'iconic' as) Shadowdale. I want to see big, lush landscapes, and I can then imagine my and others' characters in those landscapes. ('I want to go there!', rather than 'I want to know [or worse, be] him/her!')

Just as I can write in British and American English but not Canadian, I wonder how Canadian jackets differ.

Well, having been birthed on Canadian soil (not directly into the dirt, of course), and being raised in the Great White North, I will answer. Naturally, the answer I provide will be politically-correct, unoffensive to all involved parties, and all around moderate in tone and content. Oh, forget it, I'll act American and tell it like it is!

I was ushered into fantasy by DL and I can clearly remember staring at the cover art, lying in my bed, and just being swept away. Although I do enjoy some of the more character-focused art, I believe that for a book cover, a bit more focus on the setting is important. Our resident rodent of baleful forboding hit the nail on the head on why he feels the way that I do...but hey, everyone's different, so rock on Larry Elmore and rock on Todd Lockwood!

My hopes are ashes, my dreams are dust. All my intentions mean nothing unless they are followed by action.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2006 :  06:15:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Conlon

resident rodent of baleful forboding

That's the funniest thing I've read all week!

I agree with you, though. I don't want my artwork to just be a single scene. I want it to be something that pulls me into the story and into the setting. I want more than just a moment's action -- I want something that draws me in and takes me for a ride.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2006 :  06:26:16  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I definitely prefer the British style of art covers of the books shown in Faraer's link. Mood over realism, any day - at least for cover art.

Planescape Fanatic

"Fiends and Undead are the peanut butter and jelly of evil." - Me
"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

Conlon
Learned Scribe

Canada
132 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2006 :  20:15:49  Show Profile  Visit Conlon's Homepage Send Conlon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Conlon

resident rodent of baleful forboding

That's the funniest thing I've read all week!

I agree with you, though. I don't want my artwork to just be a single scene. I want it to be something that pulls me into the story and into the setting. I want more than just a moment's action -- I want something that draws me in and takes me for a ride.

Glad I could put a smile on your furry face, Wooly!

My hopes are ashes, my dreams are dust. All my intentions mean nothing unless they are followed by action.
Go to Top of Page

Archwizard
Learned Scribe

USA
266 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2006 :  21:00:26  Show Profile  Visit Archwizard's Homepage Send Archwizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some of the 3e FR sourcebook covers depict landscape scenes or panoramas, such as City of Splendors: Waterdeep and The Shining South. Those are my favorite regional sourcebook covers. A few books, such as Lost Empires of Faerun and Magic of Faerun show various characters in an action scene, those are interesting too. Those scenes make me wonder what exactly is going on, who are the characters involved, why are they there, etc. Even the main three core rulebooks made out to look like old tomes are interesting. The covers with the small portrait of a character or two in a striking pose are the type that I despise, such as all the Complete books. Cluttered battle scenes such as Champions of Ruin/Valor don't do much for me either.
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2006 :  11:49:44  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As a reluctant anglophile (reluctant since I've read a lot of English history it's probably not surprising that I fall in the "british" camp on this issue. I have to say that a grand panoramic landscape is preferable to an ever so glamorous character portrait for book-covers to me (as much as I love Todd Lockwood's covers for Shadows and Starlight, imagine if they instead had been a picture of Menzoberranze or Skullport seen from above, a mist-shrouded Ruathym coastline, and a an equally mist-covered [I like mist, so what?] Rashemen valley).
I have one caveat, though, once a character's appearance have been firmly established I wouldn't mind seeing a nice portrait. As long as it's not a black-haired Laeral at least

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2006 :  13:27:37  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I love Elmore's art -- his DL works are part of what made those earlier books such a treat for me to read.

And I“m another fan of Elmore“s art! I agree with the majority of the statements here, and I really will be a very happy dwarf if I see more art (cover or internal art) showing the landscapes of Faerūn (really, the internal art of Lost Empires of Faerūn is amazing - I“m still fascinated by that image of the sunken city, with a boat or ship near of a tower that stands out of the water)

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000