Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Elven Population (Blackstaff/Final Gate Spoilers)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  20:57:33  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder how long before Chosen of Moradin tries to do the count for the Dwarves of Faerun?

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  21:08:19  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well If Mainland population is about 9 million, that means 1/3 of them are halflings?

I asked once for an official cenus of Eric IIRC and got a reply there never was one.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  21:24:05  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Foxhelm

I wonder how long before Chosen of Moradin tries to do the count for the Dwarves of Faerun?

Give me one day and some mugs full of beer, friend.

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  22:23:02  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I want to see the Dwarves, too. ;)

And yeah, some of the numbers PER REGION of the Elves does seem a little off.. Can't exactly say HOW off. ;)

Planescape Fanatic

"Fiends and Undead are the peanut butter and jelly of evil." - Me
"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

Aes Tryl
Learned Scribe

181 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2006 :  02:47:08  Show Profile  Visit Aes Tryl's Homepage Send Aes Tryl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm but i did notice one thing about the dwarves, that not many of them even the significant ones go beyond the 15th level. Could there be any explanation for that, i mean there are tones of uber elves and humans but i havent really noticed any uber dwarves (C'mon in the North the most powerful dwarf is what a lvl 17 fighter, Methrammer could kick his ass. . .)

Ok I'm exxagerating but the point is that for all their reputation as crazy kickass fighters,
their lvls dont do them much justice. . .
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2006 :  02:53:09  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
High level spellcasters (wizards in particular) have a tendency to be much higher level than high level fighters, of ANY race. Since Dwarves have relatively very, very few Wizards, and Priests tend to have no reason to want to live longer than they should (their ultimate goal is to merge with their deities), it makes sense that there are few really high level Dwarves.

Same with Halflings, I'd say. (Who tend to be Rogues.)

Planescape Fanatic

"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

Aes Tryl
Learned Scribe

181 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2006 :  03:37:39  Show Profile  Visit Aes Tryl's Homepage Send Aes Tryl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yet look at all the uber fighters (primarily) the other races have had. . . Gareth Dragonsbane, Kane, Drizzt, Fflar, Cantoule, Entreri, Jarlaxle, Azoun IV, Elorflindar, Kaanyr Vhok, Ryld, Durnan, Mirt, Piergeiron, Texter, Laharin Goldbeard, Hykros Allumen, hanor Kicahavo, Madeiron Sunderstone, Helm Dwarf-Friend, Shurrupak, Tristan Kendrick, Timoshenko, Uthegenthal, Zaknafein, Tardeth Llanistaph . . . these are just a couple a remembered of the top of my head and pls dont get me started on all the clerics, just refer to Waterdeep:COS
to look at all of those cleric lvl 15 and above. And i didnt even mention those bladesingers and fighter/wizards yet (these seeming especially popular among the elves)

Edited by - Aes Tryl on 10 Aug 2006 03:38:32
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2006 :  04:06:31  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
None of the above Fighters I would consider to be particularly 'uber.' Only a handful of them are above 20th level.

And I really don't know enough about Dwarves to comment on them. Dwarves Deep may shed some light, but I don't have them.

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page

Aes Tryl
Learned Scribe

181 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2006 :  04:23:39  Show Profile  Visit Aes Tryl's Homepage Send Aes Tryl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well yeah epic fighters have traditionally been scarce in the realms but any character that reaches at least lvl 15 is pretty powerful. . . I do own Dwarves Deep and no it was really kinda brief and they gave very few stats, the Kingdom of Delzoun got what at most 8 paragraphs and it was more on Dwarven way of life and religion than anything else. The rest of it was mentioned but brief
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2006 :  04:26:21  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

Well If Mainland population is about 9 million, that means 1/3 of them are halflings?

I asked once for an official cenus of Eric IIRC and got a reply there never was one.

No wonder they are in almost every novel then

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2006 :  04:50:58  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, in past editions, there was much more emphasis on culture and religion and such than ancient history. It wasn't towards the later days of TSR that they really started to delve into some of that stuff, which is probably why Dwarves Deep didn't say all that much.

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2006 :  08:45:28  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Originally posted by Aes Tryl
Hmm but i did notice one thing about the dwarves, that not many of them even the significant ones go beyond the 15th level. Could there be any explanation for that, i mean there are tones of uber elves and humans but i havent really noticed any uber dwarves (C'mon in the North the most powerful dwarf is what a lvl 17 fighter, Methrammer could kick his ass. . .)

The older ed. had level limits for demi-humans. This was changed when it came to elven mages, but the rest had clear restrictions. Most of the dwarves mentioned are from the older products and therefore havelevels within these limits.
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2006 :  08:52:43  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The level limits for Elven mages started to change in Evermeet, written by Ed Greenwood, which allowed Elven Mages to surpass 15th level (the normal limit) by acquiring more experience than was normally necessary.

The Elven High Mage was revamped in Cormanthyr (though they still had to gain extra XP to level above 15th), because the design method of latter 2E was relaxing demihumans' level restrictions more and more. Around that point is when you start to really get into the more realistic high level Elven Mage NPCs.

Dwarves Deep, as Jorkens pointed out, was written when level limits were still very much being followed, and there hasn't been a major update on the Dwarven cultures and nations since. I think it's about time for one, myself.

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2006 :  08:57:12  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One minor correction; Evermeet was not written by Greenwood, it was written by Anthony Pryor.
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2006 :  09:06:43  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I must have been thinking of Dwarves Deep, sorry 'bout that one. :)

(Darn you, warnings! I am NOT flooding! Why am I persecuted because I type fast?!)

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page

Aes Tryl
Learned Scribe

181 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2006 :  09:12:28  Show Profile  Visit Aes Tryl's Homepage Send Aes Tryl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Umm sorry but the lvl 17th dwarf i was refering to is actually is in Silver Marches, not Dwarves Deep, and is more commonly known as King Harbromm of Citadel Adbar. To be more accurate hes a lvl 10 fighter/lvl 7 dwarven defender. . . so its not really an old edition ( I'm not sure if Silver Marches is 3.0 or 3.5, but by 3.0 the lvl restrictions would have been lifted right?)
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2006 :  09:23:54  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No - our point is that ANY NPC mentioned in 3.X that was mentioned in any previous edition would have developed under those level limit restrictions.

So, for example, if that NPC had been mentioned in ANY 2E book, he would have had a level limit of 15 for a long time (or a bit higher, but then he'd have to have gotten double, triple, quadruple, etc. XP to level).

That's one of those rules artifacts that, while not in play currently, still factors into NPCs of the current edition.

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page

Aes Tryl
Learned Scribe

181 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2006 :  09:36:24  Show Profile  Visit Aes Tryl's Homepage Send Aes Tryl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ok i get it. . . so until the Dwarves get an update they will still operate under that sticky demi-humans rule eh?
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2006 :  10:00:37  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, their levels will still reflect this.

Think of it like this:

Say, in 2E, an Elven High Mage was 3,000 years old. Due to previous level limits, let's say he only got to 24th level.

When he was converted to 3E, he'd still be - 24th level. Despite being 3,000 years old, because of the fact that under 2E, he only gained 24 levels because he had to gain so much more experience to level above 15th than, say, a human, who might have been 40th level after that long.

In 2E, a Dwarf could only go up to 15th level*. So all Dwarven NPCs you find in 3E, who have been around for awhile (before 3E) aren't really going to be much above 15th level, if at all.

* As a fighter, which was their highest class maximum.

Planescape Fanatic

Edited by - GothicDan on 10 Aug 2006 10:09:47
Go to Top of Page

Aes Tryl
Learned Scribe

181 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2006 :  10:06:59  Show Profile  Visit Aes Tryl's Homepage Send Aes Tryl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OHHH. . .ok thanks Dan, i understand now
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2006 :  10:07:29  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cool, glad to help. :)

I do look forward to 3E updating some more of the epic-type demihumans, though. In my own campaign world, I tried to have at least a few iconic (Epic or near-epic) aspects of each race. The Overthane of the Dwarves, for example, is 25th level in my world, the Archon of the Pillar of Forges is 20th level; the High King of the Elves is 22nd level, the Grand Mage is 25th level.

Planescape Fanatic

Edited by - GothicDan on 10 Aug 2006 10:09:11
Go to Top of Page

Aes Tryl
Learned Scribe

181 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2006 :  10:13:40  Show Profile  Visit Aes Tryl's Homepage Send Aes Tryl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thats the way it should be. . . unfortunately there isn't an overking for the dwarves in Faerun. . . If i recall correctly even the Great Rift is run by a something like a Council of Elders. Go Bruenor?? lol
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2006 :  10:21:25  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pft, Bruenor's low level. :)

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2006 :  14:18:25  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do agree that the level limits on the demi-human races in 1st/2nd Ed. have not been fully removed in 3rd Ed.

but I also I believe the greater reason why that there are no epic level dwarves, halflings and gnomes is what I said before in the other thread...the writers and designers for the Realms have and still do treat the non-elven races as second string players...especially in the last few years...it is pretty naïve to think the non-elves, especially the long lived ones, would not have epic heroes and leaders

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

- High Mage of the Arcane Assembly
- Lore Keeper of the Vault of Ancestors
- 3rd Son of the Lord of the Stand
Go to Top of Page

Aes Tryl
Learned Scribe

181 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2006 :  14:25:01  Show Profile  Visit Aes Tryl's Homepage Send Aes Tryl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tis a sad combination of both, all the wee people in the realms suffer from certain prejudices eh, vertically challenged anyone?
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2006 :  19:06:44  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hail to the Dwarven list:

Chult
22.032 wild dwarves

Damara

Vaasa

The Dalelands

The Hordelands

Moonshae Isles

The Moonsea

The Savage Frontier

Silver Marches

The Sword Coast North

Waterdeep

Chessenta

Unther

The Great Rift

Halruaa

Thay

The Vilhon Reach

Chondath

Sespech

Turmish

Western Heartlands

All in all, a total of 2.852.960 well counted.

Sources: Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting 3rd Edition

Chosen of Moradin

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2006 :  20:14:37  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I do agree that the level limits on the demi-human races in 1st/2nd Ed. have not been fully removed in 3rd Ed.

They're gone. But we still see their effects - as well we should. It annoys me that some NPCs' levels were so drastically changed (like Manshoon).

quote:
but I also I believe the greater reason why that there are no epic level dwarves, halflings and gnomes is what I said before in the other thread...the writers and designers for the Realms have and still do treat the non-elven races as second string players...especially in the last few years...it is pretty na�ve to think the non-elves, especially the long lived ones, would not have epic heroes and leaders

Yes, in certain cases, for the reasons I stated previously. Granted, I think that the longer raced ones have more reason to have non-Wizard spellcasters, but also - Dwarves fight. A lot. The more you fight, the more likely you are to die before you reach Epic levels. Wizards don't have to do that.

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2006 :  20:21:22  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GothicDan
Yes, in certain cases, for the reasons I stated previously. Granted, I think that the longer raced ones have more reason to have non-Wizard spellcasters, but also - Dwarves fight. A lot. The more you fight, the more likely you are to die before you reach Epic levels. Wizards don't have to do that.

I'm not sure I agree with that...the more you fight the better you get at fighting...and if you are foolish enough to choose a fight you can't win when your a high level, well you die...just like a wizard would die against a superior opponent. On the other hand I'm sure more low level wizards die than fighters...

the only inevitable that hurts a fighter (physical combatant) vs a spell caster is old age physically weakening you...thus why there should be more epic level warriors among the dwarves (and to a lesser extent elves and gnomes)

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

- High Mage of the Arcane Assembly
- Lore Keeper of the Vault of Ancestors
- 3rd Son of the Lord of the Stand
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2006 :  20:29:54  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I'm not sure I agree with that...the more you fight the better you get at fighting...and if you are foolish enough to choose a fight you can't win when your a high level, well you die...just like a wizard would die against a superior opponent. On the other hand I'm sure more low level wizards die than fighters...

the only inevitable that hurts a fighter (physical combatant) vs a spell caster is old age physically weakening you...thus why there should be more epic level warriors among the dwarves (and to a lesser extent elves and gnomes

Many, many low level wizards die. And at the middling levels, the curve changes dramatically, because Wizards get neat little tricks like being able to teleport away from danger, summon minions to do their job for them, scry from afar on situations, etc. By sheer dint of the fact that Wizards tend to have MUCH higher Int's, and slightly higher Wis's on average than Fighters, they are MUCH less likely to be foolish. Statistically speaking, not a case-by-case situation.

And you don't need to believe it - the Realms' NPC stats prove this. ;)

Planescape Fanatic

Edited by - GothicDan on 10 Aug 2006 20:31:54
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2006 :  20:36:03  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Originally posted by GothicDan
And you don't need to believe it - the Realms' NPC stats prove this. ;)

Proves what exactly; stats are a sett of game rules and I cant see what they prove in this case.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000