Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Mistress of the night - Why would Selune....
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ShadowJack
Senior Scribe

USA
350 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2006 :  02:42:43  Show Profile  Visit ShadowJack's Homepage Send ShadowJack a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
***Possible Spoilers***

Sages,

If this question is best posted anywhere else, could you please move it?

I am currently reading Mistress of the Night. Here is my question:

At one point in the novel, a priest of Selune (Mifano) meets with a rich donor to the temple (MoonShadow Hall). This donor is actually a Shadovar Priestess of Shar (Variance). Given the millenia of hatred between Selune and Shar, why would Selune still grant Mifano divine spells? I would think Selune (possibly to get his attention) would cease to grant his spells for his passing on secrets of the temple to a servant of Shar, even though he is doing it unwittingly... At least at this point it seems to be unwittingly...

ShadowJack

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2006 :  03:04:45  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well if a spy came in in such a way not to be dectected, why should the victim be punished for aiding what appeared to be a worshiper?

I do not know the details of this event but you clearly indicate that actual patrom deity was well hidden.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon

Edited by - Kentinal on 06 Aug 2006 03:29:13
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2006 :  03:18:19  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I recall correctly, Variance's disguise worked perfectly, so Mifano acted in good faith. Therefore, it would not be fair to punish him (at least not in my opinion, and apparently not in Selune's).

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 06 Aug 2006 03:20:29
Go to Top of Page

ShadowJack
Senior Scribe

USA
350 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2006 :  03:43:41  Show Profile  Visit ShadowJack's Homepage Send ShadowJack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is what I had thought as well. Shar is good at hiding and disguising her self. By extension her followers would be as well. Very good point Rin. I would think that both clergies would have means of disguising themselves from the opposing faith. I would also think that (and Mifano makes mention that the church of Selune is very good at detecting cultitsts of Shar) they would be good at detecting each other. Which leads me to believe that Mifano is blinded by his arrogance... Anyway, don't yell at me for being judgemental, this situation just struck me as interesting and I was pondering it...

ShadowJack
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2006 :  03:44:58  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well hey, people are bound to make judgement errors at least some of the time. And it really doesn't help that Variance was a shade.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2006 :  03:46:35  Show Profile Send Dhomal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello-

I understand your question. In some ways - it is similar to the loss of powers for a Paladin for violating his code. However - as has been touched on briefly - he was not knowingly doing anything wrong.

This also begs the question - are Diving Beings, Deities, THAT powerful, or knowledgeable? I would say, no. Clearly - the search for and discovery of new things (or re-discovery of old things) pleases many dieties (Oghma, Milil, Gond, Shaundakul). However - they generally learn of these things as the worshipers do - or in some cases re-aquaint themselves with it, if it was a lost thing re-found.

If deities knew all there was to know - certainly some things would be unnecessary. Is the caravan coming to town planning on destroying the town? Let the clerics and faithful know - before they have the chance. Heck - dont sell them the smokepowder or kegs of oil they plan on using to do it! Why even bother with a spell like detect lies? Just send a message to the priest - "Oh - BTW - hes guilty" and let it go at that.

No - the mortals must play out their own lives, and in so being in a situation like that - I dont beleive Deities are all-powerful. They may know when their name is spoken - anywhere - and can listen in for a bit afterwards - BUT - this does not mean that they DO that every time - and what if their name is not mentioned?

I would agree that the less powerful a deity is, the greater chance that they may be directly 'eavesdropping' on their clergy/faithful etc. But - the larger, more powerful dities, with dozens of priests, and scores of lay worshippers per temple would have far too many people to try and keep tabs on.

Also - since power is tied to the numbers of faithful - if *I* was a diety - I might spend more time checking in on my 'recruiters' and/or newly converted. There is some potential for wrong-doing if there were to be an infiltrator into the clergy! And making sure new converts really believe - thus feeding me power - would be important to me. More so than the activities of a long-time, faithful, mid-ranked priest.

I read, and greatly enjoyed Mistress of the Night. I was somewhat surprised that he would do such a thing - but - stories take turns all the time - so I kept reading. :)

Dhomal

I am collecting the D&D Minis. I would be more than willing to trade with people. You can send me a PM here with your email listed - and I can send you my minis list. Thanks!

Successfully traded with Xysma!
Go to Top of Page

ShadowJack
Senior Scribe

USA
350 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2006 :  03:47:01  Show Profile  Visit ShadowJack's Homepage Send ShadowJack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kentinal, you and Rin made very good points! I believe this is what the author wanted us to realize in the whole scenario. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

ShadowJack
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2006 :  03:50:52  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You're welcome.

Go to Top of Page

ShadowJack
Senior Scribe

USA
350 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2006 :  03:54:08  Show Profile  Visit ShadowJack's Homepage Send ShadowJack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow! I am always pleased with the answers I recieve here at Candlekeep! Good point about Variance being a Shade, Rin! Dhomal, I am also enjoying the book very much! I like the power struggle in the Moonshadow Hall and like Feena's character. I have liked the character since Black Wolf! I never thought of a deity paying more attention to "new recruits". It makes sense. Thanks all!

ShadowJack
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2006 :  05:39:31  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ShadowJack

Wow! I am always pleased with the answers I recieve here at Candlekeep! Good point about Variance being a Shade, Rin! Dhomal, I am also enjoying the book very much! I like the power struggle in the Moonshadow Hall and like Feena's character. I have liked the character since Black Wolf! I never thought of a deity paying more attention to "new recruits". It makes sense. Thanks all!

Again, you're welcome. Yes, Variance was a shade and apparently a pretty powerful priestess, and therefore probably very skilled at deception.

And yes, I liked the novel very much as well. Feena made for a great protagonist (very proactive).

Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2006 :  05:47:34  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My opinion is similar to Dhonal's. Most Faerunian gods are probably not omniscient, and Selune probably didn't know Variance deceived Mifano.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000