Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 I know you get a bunch of these, but....
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

baZCASTA
Acolyte

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2006 :  04:32:25  Show Profile  Visit baZCASTA's Homepage Send baZCASTA a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
.... mine is a little different. Another "what book" request...

I just need a little help so I don't spoil any more books. I have made the mistake of reading a couple books before others and ended up spoiling the ones I should have read first. (For example: I read Evermeet: Island of Elves before I read the Elfsong, Elfshadow, and so forth). I don't want to do this anymore.

All I am asking is that if you know of a book(s) that should be read before another book, then please post for me. To eliminate a few, I'll list what I've read.

All the Drizzt books, Kings and Conselors triolgy, Cleric Quintet. Scions of Arabar, The Cities books, and am on the Sellswords right now.

PLEASE DONT POST ANY SPOILERS!!!!

Isn't ther something with the Sembia books and Return f the Archwizzards or something. Or am I remembering wrong.

Thank you.

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2006 :  05:12:01  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You might be overthinking this. I don't think it's that big of a deal to read books out of order sometimes. I read Tymora's Luck before Finder's Bane, and I still greatly enjoyed both books.

Check out Tethtoril's Bookshelf on the regular Candlekeep website, and it pretty much lists all the books in the order it'd be best to read them in.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

baZCASTA
Acolyte

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2006 :  21:00:16  Show Profile  Visit baZCASTA's Homepage Send baZCASTA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have done it before and I can't stand to read a book when I know that so and so is going to die/live/come back/ or whatever.

I am particularily interested in reading the books abotu Cormry (by Greenwood), the Sembia series, the Harpers books, and the books by Elaine Cunningham, and any books not mentioned that are directly related that are either before or after these.
Are there any certain ones to read before other ones. I don't mean an order of when the books take place in the Realms, I just mean spoiler wise.

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2006 :  21:14:21  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=books/frng

In addition:

Waterdeep: City of Splendors (the novel): best read after Songs and Swords series, Threat from the Sea trilogy, and Evermeet: Island of Elves.

Erevis Cale trilogy: best read after all the Sembia books (or at least Shadow's Witness).

Return of the Archwizards trilogy is probably better read after the Cormyr saga. The Lasy Mythal is better read after Evermeet and Return of the Archwizards.

The Sembia, Songs and Swords, and Cormyr books have very little to do with each other, so really, nothing in those books will be spoilers of each other.

As for the Drizzt books, can't help you there, because I'd rather slam my forehead into a wall repeatedly than read them.

Edited by - Winterfox on 23 Jul 2006 21:20:25
Go to Top of Page

baZCASTA
Acolyte

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2006 :  22:38:37  Show Profile  Visit baZCASTA's Homepage Send baZCASTA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you that's perfect!!!.... Most of the other Realms books are completely unrelated right? And is The Priests series like the Cities series, stand alone books?

Thanks again

Oh yeah, I already read the Drizzt books
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2006 :  23:10:14  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by baZCASTA

Thank you that's perfect!!!.... Most of the other Realms books are completely unrelated right? And is The Priests series like the Cities series, stand alone books?

Yes they are, mostly. However Crimson Gold takes place after the Sembia novels since one of the Rogue's novels is also a character from that series. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2006 :  23:24:02  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, Mistress of the Night features a minor character from the Sembia series as the protagonist, so it may be best to read Black Wolf before MotN.

Still, as I said before it doesn't matter that much.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2006 :  01:46:55  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Isn't ther something with the Sembia books and Return of the Archwizzards or something. Or am I remembering wrong.

Perhaps what you're thinking of is...

You shouldn't read Erevis Cale until after you've read the Sembia series, and you shouldn't read Erevis Cale until after Return of the Archwizards. Actually, it's not a big deal if you read Cale before Archwizards, you just might understand Erevis Cale a little better if you read Archwizards first.

But there's really no reason to read Sembia and Archwizards in any particular order.

Edited by - Chosen of Bane on 24 Jul 2006 01:49:11
Go to Top of Page

baZCASTA
Acolyte

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2006 :  04:03:32  Show Profile  Visit baZCASTA's Homepage Send baZCASTA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys. This is perfect.
Go to Top of Page

Dremvek
Seeker

70 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2006 :  17:21:38  Show Profile  Visit Dremvek's Homepage Send Dremvek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are going to be some sort of spoilers unless you take the effort to basically read the books from the beginning, more or less in order published. There are some early Realms Shaking Events that so fundamentally changed the realms that many books that came later will reference what happened in these books - Avatar series comes to mind.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2006 :  01:19:55  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And hey--it's not like spoilers ever hurt anyone. *shrug* I've been spoiled before, and I survived.

If you read a "spoiler" from an earlier book, it won't seem like a spoiler at the time, anyway.

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 25 Jul 2006 01:20:26
Go to Top of Page

baZCASTA
Acolyte

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2006 :  01:59:19  Show Profile  Visit baZCASTA's Homepage Send baZCASTA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah I guess. I never looked at it like that.

Still, thanks for the list. I appreciate it.
Go to Top of Page

FridayThe13th
Learned Scribe

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2006 :  02:20:59  Show Profile  Visit FridayThe13th's Homepage Send FridayThe13th a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah. Its ok to read stuff out of order sometimes. When I was at the local library, I first read The Thousand Orcs and then I went straight forward to The Two Swords because the Lone Drow wasen't avaliable. But I didn't feel confused at all because it bascically summarized the Lone Drow's events in the book so you don't really miss out.

As for being spoiled, its not that big of a deal sometimes. When you go back to read book 2 after you read book 3, you aren't spoiled because although you know the events, you don't know them in the detail that book 2 describes them in and those details still allow you to enjoy the book

"The Lady of Pain? You mean Loviatar runs this place?"
-- Torilian Prime

"You guys should seriously rename yourselves The Horny Society, you popularity would soar."
-- A miscillaneous Kender to a member of the Horned Society

Edited by - FridayThe13th on 27 Jul 2006 02:21:31
Go to Top of Page

baZCASTA
Acolyte

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2006 :  04:00:58  Show Profile  Visit baZCASTA's Homepage Send baZCASTA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have read some out of order, and I don't mind it... BUT I prefer to read them in some order. Just my opinion.

Thanks anyway
Go to Top of Page

baZCASTA
Acolyte

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2006 :  18:01:36  Show Profile  Visit baZCASTA's Homepage Send baZCASTA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
About The Wizards series.... They are all standalone (like the Rogues), right? But I'd probably want to read Blackstaff after Sonds and Swords right? Again, I know it doesn't mater if I don't read them in order and I will still understand, and all that. But, I like to have things in order.

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2006 :  18:07:04  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I understand they are standalone, but you should wait, at least with Blackstaff, until after you have read Elaines books if you want to read more or less chronologically. I am not sure about Bloodwalk, but I cant think of any books that should definitely be read before this one.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2006 :  18:11:20  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that one of the upcoming wizards novels actually ties in with the priest Lady of Poison novel since the deep imaskari character from the priest book is going to be the main char in the wizard book.

Confused yet? :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

baZCASTA
Acolyte

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2006 :  01:33:31  Show Profile  Visit baZCASTA's Homepage Send baZCASTA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was confused at first, but I made a small chart of which to books to read before other books.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2006 :  01:56:02  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

As I understand they are standalone, but you should wait, at least with Blackstaff, until after you have read Elaines books if you want to read more or less chronologically.

I don't really agree with that. Blackstaff and the Songs and Swords series really don't have that much to do with each other. Khelben is a part of Elaine's books, but he's in a lot of Ed Greenwood's books, too. *shrugs* Arilyn and Danilo (from EC's books) are mentioned ONCE in Blackstaff. You don't have to go through a whole series for the sake of one little (unimportant) sentence if you really want to read Blackstaff first.

If you want some background before reading, take a look through some of the sourcebooks Steve Schend penned, like Lands of Intrigue and the Cormanthor supplements (they can be downloaded for free at the WotC website under Classic Downloads).

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 04 Aug 2006 01:59:54
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2006 :  03:52:58  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, the question here was not what one has to do, asbaZKASTA pointed out himself, it is the way he wants to do it and he is the one who asks for help. I myself prefer to read habsardously, but it was not my reading habits that were asked for.

Khelben is central in Elaines books and he asked specifically about those, so I say read them first. I also agree that Eds books should be read before Blackstaff if one really thinks its important to read them more or less chronologically, but there are really not that many spoilers.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2006 :  04:57:59  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All right, I see your point now, thanks for clarifying.

Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2006 :  06:33:42  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sad sad day when no one recommends my essential reading guide on the forgotten realms checklist here on Candlekeep!

http://www.candlekeep.com/downloads/frchecklist.zip

Read the notes. ;)

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

FridayThe13th
Learned Scribe

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2006 :  17:24:58  Show Profile  Visit FridayThe13th's Homepage Send FridayThe13th a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Or you can always go on Wizards.com and look at the recommended reading order for FR novels in their Books section.

"The Lady of Pain? You mean Loviatar runs this place?"
-- Torilian Prime

"You guys should seriously rename yourselves The Horny Society, you popularity would soar."
-- A miscillaneous Kender to a member of the Horned Society
Go to Top of Page

baZCASTA
Acolyte

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2006 :  02:49:48  Show Profile  Visit baZCASTA's Homepage Send baZCASTA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FridayThe13th

Or you can always go on Wizards.com and look at the recommended reading order for FR novels in their Books section.

A link, perhaps?
Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2006 :  07:13:41  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The link? I posted that a few comments back. It still remains the same: http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=books/frng
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2006 :  18:50:17  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wizard's order tends to spoil things though. *shrugs*

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000