Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 Swords of Eveningstar - Chapters 9 - 16
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2006 :  10:47:33  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met

This is a Book Club thread for Swords of Eveningstar (Book 1 of The Knights of Myth Drannor trilogy), by Ed Greenwood. Please discuss chapters 9 - 16 herein. Ed has collectively named this section "Charter and Haunted Halls".

The Hooded One will be here to pass on any questions to Ed and provide responses to comments

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2006 :  02:24:41  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do not know how, but the pace is still rapid, while dropping all kinds of neat tidbits of information that is new to me. I am enjoying meeting all these characters I have neer been exposed to, as well as the ones I know well.

I am not sure how many different layers there are to this , but I am enjoying trying to follow them from all angles. Very interesting to see a happening from several vantages.

Great work so far Mr. Greenwood!! Huzzah!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2006 :  01:55:00  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed never falls to have more characters and plots in his novel then you can keep track of, completely make sense of by the time the novel is over. :)

I just finished chapter 9, the Haunted Halls oh my!

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2006 :  12:44:16  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It also illustrates his point made here awhile ago that most mages are not wandering fireball-hurlers, but rather spend all their time manipulating or closeted away trying to do research and avoiding everyone else who's running around manipulating people.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2006 :  04:28:41  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bare in mind many of "these" mages seem to have an infinite supply of Scrying spells and decieves and time enough to create other magical devieces and spells. To say any of "these" mages are anything less then level 10 would be unrealistic. There are a lot of "wandering fireball-hurlers" because they have reached the point that they have the RESOURCES needed to hide away in a liar (or even have a liar!) to do nothing but research, alone.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2006 :  15:49:41  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, by the end of the book the reader should have a pretty fair idea that one of the all-powerful, always-scrying mages can call on the resources of an entrenched and very powerful organization of the state.
In other words, the particular character is, BUT NEED NOT BE, very personally powerful. In the same way that a green, nerdy backroom desk clerk can still wield great power as a bureaucrat.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2006 :  21:36:12  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes but how long before the green nerdy backroom desk clerk gets b*slaped and put in his place by the office manager for over stepping his bounds and wasting office resources?

Even in powerful organizations, atleast in my opinion, you can't go requisitioning thousands, maybe even millions of gold worth of magical goodies without having the standing to do so. And there's still that whole liar thing. :P

Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2007 :  02:26:19  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In Cormyr, you don't scry state. State scry you!

My Blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000