Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Established "Evil" Earth Cults
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2006 :  03:29:54  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Are there any established "evil" earth cults in the Realms? I know you could use Ogremoch in the Realms, but wanted to know if there was a specific deity or entity that fits this role. I know Ghaunadaur kind of fits, but he is elemental in the "whole shebang" sense as well as being mainly associated with slimes and such.

Thanks all.

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2006 :  03:46:33  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Are there any established "evil" earth cults in the Realms? I know you could use Ogremoch in the Realms, but wanted to know if there was a specific deity or entity that fits this role. I know Ghaunadaur kind of fits, but he is elemental in the "whole shebang" sense as well as being mainly associated with slimes and such.

Thanks all.

You could make a case for Borem of the Lake of Boiling Mud. (I may be mixing and matching names and titles here.) See F&P (the Darkhouse) and C&D WE.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2006 :  03:51:34  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, wow, forgot about that reference . . . thanks Eric.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2006 :  03:58:42  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Grumbar.....

He allowed LE and NE divine casters and all alignments for lay followers in 1e and 2e's material.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2006 :  04:14:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Urogalan.

While he didn't specifically allow for evil-aligned divine casters in 2e (he does in 3e however), he does allow for lay worshippers of all alignments.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2006 :  05:21:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I dunno... The idea seems kinda silly, to me. "Feel the dread power of this rock!"

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2006 :  06:25:56  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I dunno... The idea seems kinda silly, to me. "Feel the dread power of this rock!"

Tell that to the people that have to deal with landslides. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2006 :  06:58:21  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Or Earthquakes.

One of my favorite religion-ideas is a CE church of dungeons, greed, caverns, earthquakes, insanity, paranoia, and riches.

Planescape Fanatic

"Fiends and Undead are the peanut butter and jelly of evil." - Me
"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2006 :  15:14:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:

Yeah, but that's a natural occurence, not something evil. Seeing natural aspects of the world as evil doesn't work for me.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2006 :  16:44:32  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:

Yeah, but that's a natural occurence, not something evil. Seeing natural aspects of the world as evil doesn't work for me.

Tell that to the sailors that get smacked by Umberlee's waterworks or Talos's lightening or any of the other natural effects that the evil deities rule over. Hells, even Auril's winter.

Now on the other side, since I do agree with you, I've never understood why some of the natural processes of the world had evil deities that held those processes. It always confused me why the sea deity, the lightening deity, the winter deity, etc, are evil. To me, the deities that rule those processes should be neutral.

Edited by - Kuje on 30 Jul 2006 16:58:37
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2006 :  18:42:39  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fear of the elements and the people that have or say they have control over them will whip a lot of commoners into line any day. Who is Ogremoch by the way? Or Borem? I am curious...

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2006 :  19:29:46  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, in a world where the gods hold the positions they do in the realms, is there such a thing as a natural occurrence? Are not all the elements of the world we deem as natural tied to the gods and their invoking and hindering happenings? A landslide or earthquake is tied to Talos, good harvests and bad harvests to Chaunthea, calm sea and storms to Umberlee, the guiding sight of the moon to Selune. And if it can not be explained, would not Beshaba or Tymora get the credit?

As to the alignment of the gods, the gods that manifests as harmful and destructive powers are logically seen as evil. I find it more strange that Tempus is not seen as evil.
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2006 :  22:05:06  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

What Kuje said!

In a world where science and technology are scarce, these things AREN'T really "natural" - they are strange, mysterious forces that only the most learned and powerful magic users comprehend and control.. A storm that destroys a farmer's village is every bit as destructive and evil as someone stealing his chickens or murdering his wife.

Planescape Fanatic

"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2006 :  22:37:26  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

Well, in a world where the gods hold the positions they do in the realms, is there such a thing as a natural occurrence?

I think that may be putting the cart before the horse, though, for the purposes of this discussion. But if natural occurences shouldn't be seen as "evil", there's also no real reason to think of things like spring, fertility, childbirth, and growth as inherently "good", either, even if it's easily to see them as good from our particular vantage point.

As for the deities, I just see it as a matter of giving individual deities a certain personality and flavor. The gods of "negative" things like winter, death, and natural destruction NEED not be evil for this setting, but they are for the sake of having some variety, and giving the gods a sense of personality (IMO).

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 30 Jul 2006 22:41:19
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2006 :  23:20:33  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What Rino said.

NOTHING is inherently good or evil, as far as portfolios go. It's just a matter of how a deity chooses to use them, and how the populace tends to view them. :)

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  00:49:06  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wandering_mage

Fear of the elements and the people that have or say they have control over them will whip a lot of commoners into line any day. Who is Ogremoch by the way? Or Borem? I am curious...

Ogremoch is one of the "Princes of Elemental Evil" (or something like that) in Greyhawk.

Borem is originally mentioned for the first time in the old computer game, 'Pool of Radiance', in a legend about "quasi-deities" bowing before the might of Bane (read that tale if you only can). Master Boyd then suggested that Borem might have been one of the "Seven Lost Gods" who were worshipped in the area of Westgate. Borem was eventually slain by the mortals Bane, Myrkul and Bhaal in their quest for becoming deities (see Faiths and Pantheons).

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Derulbaskul
Senior Scribe

Singapore
408 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  17:18:20  Show Profile Send Derulbaskul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I seem to recall a NE druid of Grumbar in the Silver Marches book that offers blood to the earth. My copy of SM is 7,000 kms away else I would look it up: perhaps someone else recalls the reference? Does "blood slaker" ring a bell?

Cheers
D

NB: Please remember: A cannon is a big gun. Canon is what we discuss here.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000