Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Origins of D&D
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2003 :  16:23:03  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
It was created by Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson who added 2 pages of rules to the Wargame Chainmail. With these rules you could play only 1. The first adventure released to play with the rules is Blackmoor's Dungeon. It was in 1971.

It was a great succes so in 1974, they created the first edition of D&D.

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2003 :  20:17:26  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the new topic. I seem to get off a lot, don't I? Actually, I'm much like one of my professors. On the first day of class, he said "If you let me, I will talk your head off. So, if you stay behind to ask me a question, the once you get the answer feel free to just turn and walk away!" (I like this guy. )

Okay, back on topic. So, D&D started as an addition to something called chainmail. So then a spin-off came along called D&D Chainmail. Then it just became D&D?

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

branmakmuffin
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2003 :  21:53:17  Show Profile  Visit branmakmuffin's Homepage Send branmakmuffin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And of course now WotC makes a game called "Chainmail".

The circle is complete.
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2003 :  23:35:59  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

Thanks for the new topic. I seem to get off a lot, don't I? Actually, I'm much like one of my professors. On the first day of class, he said "If you let me, I will talk your head off. So, if you stay behind to ask me a question, the once you get the answer feel free to just turn and walk away!" (I like this guy. )

Okay, back on topic. So, D&D started as an addition to something called chainmail. So then a spin-off came along called D&D Chainmail. Then it just became D&D?

Technically speaking it was not called D&D chainmail. It was just an add-on. D&D was really borned in 1974
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2003 :  06:06:26  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OFFICIAL ZEMD CORRECTION: "Borned" is not a real word. It's just born.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2003 :  08:37:15  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When the original D&D rules came out you needed to have two additional games to play them.

Outdoor survival by Avalon hill (to use as a map)

and chainmail. The original D&D had an alternate combat system as well. If you are into the statistical foundations of games, reading the original D&D combat system is great! SO simple. It is also great to look at the original boxed books to see what the first spells actually were. The monster list is awesome, and the original set even mentioned Androids. It must have been great to play with those early crews, on good old fashioned dungeon crawls.

The new CHAINMAIL by Wizards was a pathetic attempt to be Warhammer. Even the packaging font is the same as warhammer. So glad they cancelled that line. The old chainmail is nothing like it. In fact current wargamers use OLD chainmail for some of their rules.

I have a PhD in Gameology.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2003 :  13:36:44  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mournblade94

When the original D&D rules came out you needed to have two additional games to play them.

and chainmail. The original D&D had an alternate combat system as well. If you are into the statistical foundations of games, reading the original D&D combat system is great! SO simple. It is also great to look at the original boxed books to see what the first spells actually were. The monster list is awesome, and the original set even mentioned Androids. It must have been great to play with those early crews, on good old fashioned dungeon crawls.

The new CHAINMAIL by Wizards was a pathetic attempt to be Warhammer. Even the packaging font is the same as warhammer. So glad they cancelled that line. The old chainmail is nothing like it. In fact current wargamers use OLD chainmail for some of their rules.

I have a PhD in Gameology.

Does any of the scribes played the very first edition of D&D?
Go to Top of Page

Elrond Half Elven
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
322 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2003 :  14:42:59  Show Profile  Visit Elrond Half Elven's Homepage Send Elrond Half Elven a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that info Zemd. I never knew about Chainmail. While we are here (God Alaundo is goign to kill me for this). How many of the scribes play Warhammer? I use to and find that the models are useful for D&D.

Once upon a midnight dreary, while i pondered, weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore-
While i nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.
-The Raven by Edgar Allan Poe
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2003 :  18:20:52  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have played warhammer fantasy battle before. I used to play Brettonians, Darkelves, or Chaos. They are great models, but I find they are great for Warhammer. I really don't like how the scale of People: weaponry is. The models are wielding swords as big as the creature in the mini. This is OK for Demons and the sort, but for darkelves, I think they look silly holding a blade as large as their body, and thicker than they are.

YOu just cannot beat the Reaper minis for D&D. I also collect alot of the old Grenadier lines, but mostly for the nostalgia in it. The minis are pretty cool, but the mold technology back then was not as precise as the ones now.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

Elrond Half Elven
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
322 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2003 :  18:27:49  Show Profile  Visit Elrond Half Elven's Homepage Send Elrond Half Elven a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would agree completely about the weapons being far to big, i now use the LOTR GW line of minis for AD&D. They are highly detailed and realistic.
Do you use layouts, 3D scenery or just ur imagination for (A)D&D

Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2003 :  18:34:22  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The LOTR miniatures by Citadel are great! They are made by the same company as Warhammer, but the scale is much better. Actually I found that people that play Warhammer LOVE the exagerrated weapons. That is fine in the proper context, but I just find it out of context for AD&D.

When I play D&D I NOW use a grid battle mat, and I use scenery. When I was playing 1st and second ed. I would just use pen and paper (imagination). But now the rules are so well set up for minis that I use them often.

I left my scenery in Scotland though, so now I have to go purchase more.

Go to Top of Page

Elrond Half Elven
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
322 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2003 :  19:11:48  Show Profile  Visit Elrond Half Elven's Homepage Send Elrond Half Elven a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My God another SCOT!!!! Tell me where you left your scenery plzz! (I need to steal it! j/k). I use a 4' by 4' board resting on a 6' by 2; table (It leaves me as DM enought space to keep notes etc). I have used a varitey of differant scenery types, from printed floorplans (Including camps, caves fields,) to my old warhammer scenery. Then i went throught a stage where i used my 'travilling scenery' which was basically 2-D warhammer scenery. I ended up using this because i foudn for a while we had to play in other peoples houses.
~Hanx
Elrond.

Go to Top of Page

kahonen
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2003 :  23:23:18  Show Profile  Visit kahonen's Homepage Send kahonen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mournblade94

and chainmail.

I beg to differ. I played D&D using the original rules and they amounted to a set (two or three) small booklets about A5 in size. You didn't need "Outdoor Survival" or anything else by Avalon Hill to play the game. I have, however, used "The Wilderness Survival Guide" in 1st Edition. That book was, however, a TSR publication written (IIRC) by Gary Gygax.
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2003 :  00:13:59  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WEll you did not HAVE to have Outdoor Survival but if you look at page 5 of the original rules, of the MEN & MAGIC booklet you will read that Outdoor Survival was Recommended equiptment.

Of course the original D&D was quite a different form as it was written with the wargamer in mind, and most of them were playing Avalon Hill games anyway.

Elrond I left my scenery in Fort William. But I will be going back there soon. Scotland is my home away from home. I always return to Corpach on Loch Linnhe.

I love it there. No place like Glen Nevis.

Go to Top of Page

Elrond Half Elven
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
322 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2003 :  16:55:28  Show Profile  Visit Elrond Half Elven's Homepage Send Elrond Half Elven a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well Mournblade i am very glad to hear it! Scotland is a lovely country.
I have looked at several 1st Edition AD&D books and am horrified to learnt hat they are hard to convert (well for me) because the number of damn monsters is so overwhelming. Anyone remember Lord of darkness one adventure calls for the players to face 16 wights! The party is about lv 3-4 remember! Ach i dunno. There stats look easier so i guess it ballanced out.

Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2003 :  02:28:50  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Probably the only reason I can convert (which is VERY time consuming) is because I am so familiar with the 1e/2e rules. I have converted one module (keep on the borderlands) and that was time consuming. I would HATE to do the slavelord series!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000