Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Bards and the gods
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Akryn
Acolyte

Finland
14 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2006 :  08:24:10  Show Profile  Visit Akryn's Homepage Send Akryn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
KnightEJR

I looked into this and as far as i could find out you are absolutely right about the Drow bardic traditions (alltho i must admit that of the later one i found very little information but if their sole purpose is to sing in Lolth´s temples to me they are just singers) and i think that the deathsingers are not restricted to any special deity. Baelquesh on the other hand are for sure Lolth´s servants.. Maybe Vhaeraun has his own version of these, but to me it seems unlikely that the masked god would have many of these temple singers.

I would love to see a song written by a Deathsinger (or a sage of considerable insight on the drow way-of-life) just to see how accurate they are and in which way they glorify the victor and put to shame the defeated one. I kinda got the feeling when reading the book that the Deathsinger was not really interested in just recording all kinds of death around him but only very special occasions and individuals in contrast to a normal bard who might sing a song or tell a tale about... well pretty much everything.

Edited by - Akryn on 13 Jul 2006 08:25:57
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2013 :  08:27:04  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Well,

In FR, unless the character/NPC is insane, everyone worships at least some of the deities, however since bards aren't divine casters they usually don't have a patron deity.

The deities in FR are active and everyone knows they exist so it'll be pretty weird to not at least give a prayer/some words to the deities.

Well, I'm pretty sure that politicians, business leaders, generals and high-ranking civil servants exist and can affect my life, but I've never worshipped any of them.

If I was myself capable of unleashing magical powers through mystic incantations, the playing of instruments or spellsong, I would have even less inclination to worship entities just because they were better at magic than I was.

After all, any miracles they performed would, to me, not seem all that miraculous, just examples of someone more powerful or learned than I was using the same forces I was capable of using.

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2013 :  14:34:26  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, its like this... if you don't worship someone, you get stuck in a wall for all eternity.

So it is like like worshiping politicians- if you don't pay your taxes, they stick you behind a wall.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 24 Jul 2013 14:34:41
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2013 :  14:55:48  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Well, its like this... if you don't worship someone, you get stuck in a wall for all eternity.

Just use a sledgehammer...

Icelander makes a valid point about this, and I think that followers of the non obnoxiously tyrannical gods should be more like allies, or ''co-workers'' than servants.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000