Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Healer Class?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lariana of the Wood
Acolyte

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2006 :  13:43:29  Show Profile  Visit Lariana of the Wood's Homepage Send Lariana of the Wood a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I know clerics, druids and a few others can do some relative healing spells and the like but I was thinking of making a character class that is only focuses on that and probably some aiding spells. Sort of like a wizard but focused on divine spells and probably having just as many spells to choose from. Before I made I just wanted to make sure I hadn't missed a class already made for this purpose, does anyone know?

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2006 :  14:31:13  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lariana of the Wood

I know clerics, druids and a few others can do some relative healing spells and the like but I was thinking of making a character class that is only focuses on that and probably some aiding spells. Sort of like a wizard but focused on divine spells and probably having just as many spells to choose from. Before I made I just wanted to make sure I hadn't missed a class already made for this purpose, does anyone know?

there is the base Healer class from the Miniatures Handbook. It is an excellent healer, at Lv 1 they add their Cha bonus to all healing spells they cast (add that with the augment healing feat and a cure light wounds at Character Level 1 / Healer Lv 1 with a Cha of 18 is 1d8+7 Hp healed

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

- High Mage of the Arcane Assembly
- Lore Keeper of the Vault of Ancestors
- 3rd Son of the Lord of the Stand
Go to Top of Page

Bluenose
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
134 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2006 :  14:33:29  Show Profile  Visit Bluenose's Homepage Send Bluenose a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's a Healer class in the Miniatures Handbook which does almost what you want. There's also the Field Medic (? - I think that's the name) in Heroes of Battle which is a prestige class. You'll probably have to add a lot of spells if you want them to have as many spells as a wizard though.

These, in the day when heaven was falling,
The hour when earth's foundations fled,
Followed their mercenary calling
And took their wages and are dead.

Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
What God abandoned, these defended,
And saved the sum of things for pay.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2006 :  18:17:05  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not to intrude, or anything, but I wanted to third that information. My Eberron group (Ack! Out, out foul fiend!) has a Healer multiclassed as a cleric as well who is simply a font of restorative goodness. Definitely look into it, it sounds exactly like what you're looking for.

The expanded spell list might be a problem -- Healer's is somewhat constricted -- but an individual character who wants more spell power can always multiclass into cleric. Having a character who has as much spell breadth as a wizard, yet focuses upon healing, is really just a cleric with the Augment Healing feat.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2006 :  00:58:36  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Not to intrude, or anything, but I wanted to third that information. My Eberron group (Ack! Out, out foul fiend!) has a Healer multiclassed as a cleric as well who is simply a font of restorative goodness. Definitely look into it, it sounds exactly like what you're looking for.

The expanded spell list might be a problem -- Healer's is somewhat constricted -- but an individual character who wants more spell power can always multiclass into cleric. Having a character who has as much spell breadth as a wizard, yet focuses upon healing, is really just a cleric with the Augment Healing feat.

Cheers

In the few games I've played with the healer class, we've added any new healing spells (like faith healing for instance) to the healer's spell list, as well as spells that remove status effects. We also allowed healer to spontaneously cast healing spells in the same way as clerics, so that they can exchange out that remove paralysis if what they really need is a cure moderate wounds spell. That makes them a bit more playable. In fact, the only time I've seen the vow of poverty really work is with a healer character by my friend Dana Driscoll (the editor in chief of Silven Publishing)

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein

Edited by - EytanBernstein on 11 Jul 2006 00:59:04
Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2006 :  15:59:08  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One thing that is important with Healers in the party is to make sure they dont become another player's medic. Playing Vampire:the Masquerade we had a group like that where one player became just auxillory to another. It took the fun out of the game. I think one thing to do with the healer is to turn her/him into a battle character as well... imagine fighting someone who just wades through crowds of fighters continually regenerating and regrowing lost limbs and deep wounds. It makes the most sense in battles vs many lower level fighters.

"You came here to be a martyr in a great big bang of glory... instead you will die with a whimper."
::moussaoui tries to interrupt::
"You will never get a chance to speak again and that's an appropriate ending."

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000