Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 Bloodwalk: Prologue and Chapters 1 - 4
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2006 :  23:47:40  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met

This is a Book Club thread for Bloodwalk(Book 2 of The Wizards series), by James P. Davis. Please discuss the prologue and chapters 1 - 4 herein.

James P. Davis will be here to answer any questions and respond to comments

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2006 :  20:10:48  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just started the novel a moment ago. So far, really enjoying it

Nice start and certainly made me shudder at the end of the prologue! I liked how the point of view changed at the end to the little girl in her bed, watching what had just entered her room. When she turned back and saw the eyes staring at her, I physically shuddered!

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2006 :  20:12:34  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great opening chapter too. Straight into the thick of it and a good introduction to the area. I loved the bit with the assassin up against the offering bowl and how Bedlam was likened to training a dog with a treat Very well done when the blade slid in and grated against the stone.

Again another eerie feel as the tattoos reacted and fell away.

So far... great!

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2006 :  05:54:59  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, the prologue almost scared me off of this book. Not that I would not have read it, but that I just didn't know if I was in the right frame of mind for a book that started out on such a down note. Its not that it wasn't well written, but it was definately oppressive and dark, the way the plague was described.

Interesting that we will get to see some action in a region that we have not heard too much from in novels, as well as having some peripheral interest with the Watercourse Triology as well. I like to see the novels cast a broad net and show us some regions we haven't seen before, so we can see both how the Realms are similar to one another, and how various corners of Faerun differ.

Without going into too much, its interesting to see the similarities and differences between Walker and Quin. Its also an interesting turn to see an aasimar that is morally ambiguous and worships Hoar. I like the half fiend gnoll and the ogre mage as well, but then again, I've always liked ogre mages.

It seems like a lot is in play here, with the division within the ranks of the Gargauthans, the division within the ranks of Savras' church, and the "hero" being someone that doesn't really care if he saves the innocent, just that he avenges them. An interesting set up so far.

Edited by - KnightErrantJR on 18 Jul 2006 05:55:19
Go to Top of Page

James P. Davis
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2006 :  08:44:53  Show Profile  Visit James P. Davis's Homepage Send James P. Davis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lord Rad posted:
quote:
Great opening chapter too. Straight into the thick of it and a good introduction to the area. I loved the bit with the assassin up against the offering bowl and how Bedlam was likened to training a dog with a treat Very well done when the blade slid in and grated against the stone.

Again another eerie feel as the tattoos reacted and fell away.

So far... great!

Thanks Lord Rad! I enjoyed playing with the idea of Vesk's tattoos and have alot of ideas on how to expand their nature if I ever get the chance.

KnightErrantJR posted:
quote:
It seems like a lot is in play here, with the division within the ranks of the Gargauthans, the division within the ranks of Savras' church, and the "hero" being someone that doesn't really care if he saves the innocent, just that he avenges them. An interesting set up so far.

Thanks Knight, glad you stuck with it through the gloomy prologue.
That scene was originally "off-camera" so to speak in the first outline draft, but Phil Athans (my editor at the time) suggested I bring it out from the backstory. Once I did and looked at it in the context of the full story, I think it made alot more sense to include it in regards to what happens later in the book.

I like how you put the word 'hero' in quotes, I think Quin would have done the same.

Best,
--James

"Everybody is a book of blood; wherever we're opened, we're red."--Clive Barker

FR: RotD2:"Possessions"
Wizards:Bloodwalk
Citadels: The Shield of Weeping Ghosts
Wilds: The Restless Shore
Ed Greenwood Presents Waterdeep: Circle of Skulls (May 2010)
Book trailers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jC-ska7ohVk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfvFdQ8bLp0
Go to Top of Page

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2006 :  17:23:58  Show Profile Send Dhomal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello-

I just finished the chapters in question last night.

I'm also glad to see other scribes reading it. My time has been somewhat busy as of late -a nd I had decided to read Bloodwalk first, before Blackstaff because nobody else was - and I didnt want you to feel left out James!

That being said - I think it took me a bit to 'get into' the book. Certainly - 4 chapters is not all that much - but I was not grabbed by the prologue.

I keep trying to figure out the connection - and believe that the girl in the prologue may be the Seer's daughter - whom - for whatever reason - she thought was dead. Also - I think the woman in red may also be the little girl. However - these postulations seem 'obvious' to me - and lately when I've read things - it seems that the 'obvious' is not in fact true.

As for the ghostwalker character - I like him at the moment. I'd be curious to know the timeline of 'character genesis' between your ghostwalker, and Erik's from Ghostwalker.

I'm off to work soon - and will likely be able to punch out a little more during lunch!

Dhomal

I am collecting the D&D Minis. I would be more than willing to trade with people. You can send me a PM here with your email listed - and I can send you my minis list. Thanks!

Successfully traded with Xysma!
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2006 :  18:13:49  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
James, that prologue is one of those things that works in retrospect. And as I said, it really got to me because of my frame of mind at the moment. Its one of those things that might show that its better to evoke some kind of emotion than to leave someone feeling nothing.

Now that you point out Phil Athans and his editing, it makes me wonder what runs through his mind when he comes across sections of the book that, at least peripherally, cross over with what he is writing in the Watercourse Trilogy. Hope that dosn't drift too far off the topic, but everytime I read about Innarlith, it reminds me of that trilogy.
Go to Top of Page

James P. Davis
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2006 :  20:03:01  Show Profile  Visit James P. Davis's Homepage Send James P. Davis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Now that you point out Phil Athans and his editing, it makes me wonder what runs through his mind when he comes across sections of the book that, at least peripherally, cross over with what he is writing in the Watercourse Trilogy. Hope that dosn't drift too far off the topic, but everytime I read about Innarlith, it reminds me of that trilogy.

Well, I really only got to work with Phil up through that final draft of the outline. After that I was assigned to Susan Morris, I assume because Phil was taking on his own trilogy. My mention of Innarlith and his Watercourse was actually pure coincidence. Luckily I didn't expand too much in that respect, as I didn't even know about the Watercourse Trilogy at the time, heh!

Best,
--James

Go to Top of Page

James P. Davis
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2006 :  20:16:19  Show Profile  Visit James P. Davis's Homepage Send James P. Davis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I'm also glad to see other scribes reading it. My time has been somewhat busy as of late -a nd I had decided to read Bloodwalk first, before Blackstaff because nobody else was - and I didnt want you to feel left out James!

Thanks Dhomal! I hope you enjoy the rest of the book!

quote:
I keep trying to figure out the connection - and believe that the girl in the prologue may be the Seer's daughter - whom - for whatever reason - she thought was dead. Also - I think the woman in red may also be the little girl. However - these postulations seem 'obvious' to me - and lately when I've read things - it seems that the 'obvious' is not in fact true.

Well, no spoilers here, but I do try to avoid too much of the obvious, unless certain obvious details become an unavoidable threat to the "heroes", heh!

quote:
As for the ghostwalker character - I like him at the moment. I'd be curious to know the timeline of 'character genesis' between your ghostwalker, and Erik's from Ghostwalker.

I'm not sure exactly on the 'genesis' part, but I did notice the parallel yet separate paths we took with the Ghostwalker class. Any other differences I'll leave for you guys to notice.

Best,
--James

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2006 :  21:19:02  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now I really like Mahgra! Whats a great character I love it when giantkin\goblinkin and such are thrown into a story like this. And then he turns out to be not any ogre, but an ogre-magi! Excellent!

His meeting made me chuckle when it described his deep booming voice making Khaemil's sound like a squeak. Also, when Morgynn avoided too much conversation with Mahgra as it tends to lead to his exaggerated achievments

Khaemil was introduced very well too. So far, this book has a really dark feel for me. It feels supressing (if that's the right word)... the kind of "closeness" you get when you know there's a storm about to break out Yeah i'm probably rambling.

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2006 :  21:21:13  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Again, a dark feeling to the book as Quin arrives in Logfell and passes through the deserted dwellings to see the rotting food and disarray in how everything has been left. Then when the wind picked up and banged the gates against each other it really added to the atmosphere! The smears of blood and his analysis of people being dragged away was just perfect too. A great scene!

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2006 :  21:25:38  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The last chapter in this section was great for me too. I loved the talk between Mahgra and Gyusk and the whole feel of this band amongst the village. The rain added to the mood too

It was quite eerie when Quin appeared and just stood unaffected by the wind and rain, and then his collar flipped back to reveal his pale grinning face! Brrrrrr

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Beezy
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2006 :  03:46:07  Show Profile  Visit Beezy's Homepage Send Beezy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I too was excited to see an ogre magi included!

I enjoy reading about Ghostwalkers because they are quite different from a typicial hero, they kind of remind me of the movie The Crow with a darker sort of protagonist.

So far I am really enjoying the novel, great work.
Go to Top of Page

James P. Davis
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2006 :  07:16:56  Show Profile  Visit James P. Davis's Homepage Send James P. Davis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And here I was at the end of a terribly trying day. You guys made my night! I'm so glad you're enjoying it, thanks!

Best,
--James

Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2006 :  23:55:36  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finally got it today (Woo for Amazon!)

Prologue was damn good, and rather creepy. Quin certainly seems like a intresting character. More once ive got past Chapter One!
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2006 :  21:12:23  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am really loving this book so far, the prologue grabbed me immediately and the introduction to Quin was excellent, what a tough character. As he turned and "locked" the door, I was reminded of the scene in Watchmen when Rorschac is in prison and tells the inmate, "I'm not locked up in here with you. You're locked up in here with me." Great scene on both counts. I can't wait to get farther into this one.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2007 :  23:34:37  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Started reading this two days ago. I have to admit, I wasn't too fond of the prologue myself--not because I thought it was too "dark", but rather because I found the prose a bit confusing and it was hard for me to tell what exactly was going on...at least with the last part of it involving the mother running into her house. The first chapter, too, didn't really grab me.

However, I *do* have to give the author props for having an aasimar character and NOT making him a shining paladin with a golden halo around his head. Most of the time, that is exactly how aasimar are portrayed, even though they don't have to be good or have such a mindset. I have nothing against paladins, mind, I am just the kind of person who enjoys seeing something different. Tieflings are often portrayed as non-evil and rejecting of their fiendish heritage, so why not do something similar with aasimar characters? Truthfully, I'm not entirely fond of planetouched in general, but I am already interested in this character.

Also, I like how it appears that a major character is emerging in the story who is on the elderly side (Sameska)--again, not too common in novels...they are very often spring chickens. Also, I find Morgynn to be interesting so far, from what I've read of her. Finally, I have to say it's obvious that James P. Davis has writing talent--much of the prose has a poetic quality to it and is very well done.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 26 Jan 2007 23:35:26
Go to Top of Page

James P. Davis
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2007 :  07:36:37  Show Profile  Visit James P. Davis's Homepage Send James P. Davis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Started reading this two days ago. I have to admit, I wasn't too fond of the prologue myself--not because I thought it was too "dark", but rather because I found the prose a bit confusing and it was hard for me to tell what exactly was going on...at least with the last part of it involving the mother running into her house. The first chapter, too, didn't really grab me.

However, I *do* have to give the author props for having an aasimar character and NOT making him a shining paladin with a golden halo around his head. Most of the time, that is exactly how aasimar are portrayed, even though they don't have to be good or have such a mindset. I have nothing against paladins, mind, I am just the kind of person who enjoys seeing something different. Tieflings are often portrayed as non-evil and rejecting of their fiendish heritage, so why not do something similar with aasimar characters? Truthfully, I'm not entirely fond of planetouched in general, but I am already interested in this character.

Thanks for the comments! All are welcome and appreciated to be sure. And I hope Quin doesn't disappoint as things progress. He's certainly no paladin, but he does have a peculiar insight on that hero-type. It's hard to be that kind of 'Lawful-Good-constant-crusader' without staining the halo with a bit of blood. The celestial fight is truly one big, eternal 'wet-work' and I tried to keep Quin more down to earth about things.

quote:
Also, I like how it appears that a major character is emerging in the story who is on the elderly side (Sameska)--again, not too common in novels...they are very often spring chickens. Also, I find Morgynn to be interesting so far, from what I've read of her. Finally, I have to say it's obvious that James P. Davis has writing talent--much of the prose has a poetic quality to it and is very well done.

Thanks again, I'm glad you liked Sameska as her POV was one of my favorites to slide into. Morgynn too. I like exploring the morally skewed POV's...and my wife would likely assert that I am one.

I look forward to hearing your further thoughts.

Best,
--James

Edited by - James P. Davis on 27 Jan 2007 07:37:56
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2007 :  19:22:43  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sure thing! I'm glad you enjoyed my comments, and I'll write some more as I progress through the novel. And thanks for the tidbits about Quin.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000