Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The Mage of Fire and Ice (Tifus stay out)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kes_Alanadel
Learned Scribe

USA
326 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2006 :  01:48:51  Show Profile  Visit Kes_Alanadel's Homepage Send Kes_Alanadel a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
The old human looked up from his desk, with shock in his brown eyes. “The Mage of Fire and Ice, you say? You are seeking information about him?” He looked over the rim of his spectacles with his grey eyebrows raised. “And just how, by chance, did you hear that name to begin with?” He leaned forward and studied anew the silver haired elven male that stood on the other side of his desk. It was then that the sage realized that the elf was not of any elven race he that knew.

The elf gave the sage a half smile that never actually reached his sapphire eyes. “That is something that I prefer not to disclose at this time. Now, would you happen to have any information on him that may be of use to me?” He adjusted his grip on his staff and then shrugged. “I was led to believe that you may have something that would tell of this mage. He is an enigma in which I’ve been trying to put together the pieces.” The elf continued to smile, hoping that the sage would give him, judging from the sage’s reaction, what the elf is sure that the sage has. The final bit of information that would help the elf put the scattered pieces together, giving him the location that he was seeking.

“Aye,” the sage replied. “I have some, but I’m not sure what good it will do you.” The sage stood from his desk and he walked over to one of the many bookshelves that are overflowing. After he stood there for a bit, he reached up to a shelf that was slightly above his head and he pulled down a scroll. He read it for a bit, shook his head and put it back. He studied the shelves some more and murmured under his breath before he reached down and pulled a slim tome from a lower shelf. Once he read the cover, he nodded and turned back to the elf. “This is all that I have and it’s a copy of the original work that I was able to purchase in Waterdeep.” He shrugged and handed it to the elf. “May it be of some use to you.”

The elf took the book from the sage with a slight bow, glanced at the writing on the cover, and gave the sage a nod. “My thanks for the book and I’m hopeful that this will be what I have been searching for.” He removed a small pouch from somewhere inside his purple robes, handed it to the sage, and departed.

When the sage opened the pouch, he gasped in shock and then stared at the door through which the elf left. Inside of the pouch are two gems the size of a grape, one is an ice blue diamond and the other a flamegem. With shaking hands the sage held them up to the light that filtered through his window and he saw that both gems were flawless.

A few doors down, the elf slipped quietly in to the inn and he found a table against the wall that was far from the door and from the few midday patrons. He ordered a tallglass of Elverquisst from the red-haired human barmaid. Once she moved off, he looked at what had been written on the cover. “Aravilor Ardwinor”, the elf whispered to himself with a slight smile.

“I’m sorry, what did you say?” The barmaid asked as she placed the tallglass in front of the elf.

The elf looked up at her, “Oh, nothing, I was speaking to myself,” he replied. He paid her for his drink and waited for her to move off. He then opened the purple hide covered tome and began to read.

‘The last know contact with Aravilor Ardwinor, also called The Mage of Fire and Ice, was at Candlekeep in the Year of Dreams (10 DR). It is recorded that he was researching portals that had been documented at that time across Faerun.’ (pg.1)

‘Born in Earlann during the Year of Bold Pioneers(-461 DR), Aravilor was the only son of a minor mage and a priestess of Corellon, the last of the Aravilor line. He began his studies of magic at an earlier age than most elves, due to what seemed to be an innate understanding of all things magical. He quickly rose within the ranks of mages in Earlann, and began to specialize in the making of magical items.’ (pg.3)

‘Aravilor quickly gained the reputation of being able to make any item that was asked of him, no matter the complexity. Any item that was made by him worked as he said, which allowed him to charge top prices for any commission.’ (pg.7)

‘In the Year of Silent Screams(-133 DR), Aravilor left Earlann, and traveled south in search of a place of his own, away from prying eyes as he continued to research his magic. It is said that he constructed a tower in the Serpent Hills, but the exact location is unknown.’ (pg.15)

‘He became known as The Mage of Fire and Ice, due to the fact that whenever he was seen, he was carrying one of two staffs that he created. Aravilor’s Fire and Aravilor’s Ice, the names given to the staffs, were rumored to have elementals bound to them, making them intelligent as well as very powerful.’ (pg.20)

‘After Aravilor’s disappearance, it has been theorized that wherever he had gone, he took both of the staffs with him. As of this writing, none of Aravilor’s notes, spellbooks, or either of the staffs have surfaced. This leads the sages that actually know of him to believe that his actual tower was never found. Or if it had, then where his notes were kept has yet to be breached.’ (pg.25)

~Tilenor Telant
Year of the Slaying Spells(976 DR)

The elf closed the book with a satisfied smile. He sat back against the cushion as the pieces fell into place in his mind. He now believed he had the exact location of the tower, and began to formulate plans for the next leg of his travels. He ordered another drink, and waited for the hin that had been his not always welcome companion since she found him lost in the Moonwood. Knowing she would find him shortly, he chuckled as he imagined what her reaction would be, when he suggested where they should travel to next.

Ack! I seem to have too much blood in my coffee stream!

When did 'common sense' cease to be common?

Edited by - Kes_Alanadel on 18 Jun 2006 16:59:42

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2006 :  11:01:30  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Very nice, Kes_Alanadel, very nice indeed Well written and full of feeling

I hope to see more from thy quill.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Kes_Alanadel
Learned Scribe

USA
326 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2006 :  15:41:37  Show Profile  Visit Kes_Alanadel's Homepage Send Kes_Alanadel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you Alaundo, glad you enjoyed it.

Aravilor was a historical/background NPC that I was using in the campaign I was running for Tifus (which I was asking questions about when I first joined).

Ack! I seem to have too much blood in my coffee stream!

When did 'common sense' cease to be common?

Edited by - Kes_Alanadel on 18 Jun 2006 16:01:59
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000