Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Name for the Vast and Implitur?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2006 :  20:59:23  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Is there one name that covers the peninsula that the Vast and Implitur is on? Thanks.

Swordsage
Learned Scribe

149 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2006 :  02:17:30  Show Profile  Visit Swordsage's Homepage Send Swordsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about: the Dragonshoulder?

The Swordsage
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2006 :  04:20:20  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't mean to be rude, but is that a canonical name?
Go to Top of Page

Swordsage
Learned Scribe

149 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2006 :  05:38:28  Show Profile  Visit Swordsage's Homepage Send Swordsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No it's not. There isn't a canonical name for the peninsula.

The Swordsage
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2006 :  07:16:43  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would leave geography as it is, but each of us are able to make the realms our own. I however, prefer to keep it as close as possible.

I would be certain a canon name is out there. I looked through some of my material and could not find a specific reference to an actual name of the peninsula. I would leave it at the Vast and Impiltur.
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2006 :  18:02:30  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Time to ask Ed !
Go to Top of Page

ksu_bond
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
214 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2006 :  21:57:43  Show Profile Send ksu_bond a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whether there is canonical name for the peninsula or not does not mean that there cannot be another name for which it is known. For instance both Texas and Oklahoma have regions that are referred to as the Pan-Handle, this is not their official names but rather a way for people to signify the area of those states that look more or less like a pan-handle. Similarly when we use the terms "The States" or "America" they are all references to the United States of America. Locals often associate pet names to areas, regions, and landmarks. For instance, here in Wichita (Kansas) we have a part of town that is called College Hill. This is not its official title nor is it truly a hill (this is in Kansas after all) but rather a part of town that is slightly higher than most of Wichita, thus the "Hill". As far as the "College" reference, this part of town also includes Wichita State University and many of the streets in the area are named for other colleges (such as Vassar, etc.). So let us say for the sake of argument that there isn't an official name for this peninsula that doesn't mean that the locals haven't given it a pet name to reflect its appearance, significance, and/or history.
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2006 :  23:29:18  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ksu_bond

Whether there is canonical name for the peninsula or not does not mean that there cannot be another name for which it is known. For instance both Texas and Oklahoma have regions that are referred to as the Pan-Handle, this is not their official names but rather a way for people to signify the area of those states that look more or less like a pan-handle. Similarly when we use the terms "The States" or "America" they are all references to the United States of America. Locals often associate pet names to areas, regions, and landmarks. For instance, here in Wichita (Kansas) we have a part of town that is called College Hill. This is not its official title nor is it truly a hill (this is in Kansas after all) but rather a part of town that is slightly higher than most of Wichita, thus the "Hill". As far as the "College" reference, this part of town also includes Wichita State University and many of the streets in the area are named for other colleges (such as Vassar, etc.). So let us say for the sake of argument that there isn't an official name for this peninsula that doesn't mean that the locals haven't given it a pet name to reflect its appearance, significance, and/or history.

While true, you are still not giving any examples of what "slang" terms may be in use for this particular area. In referencing all of my material, which is about all of the published realms material available, I have not come up with a name slang or otherwise, that is used. Maybe the interactive atlas has a title listed for this area. I agree with rododom, it may be time to ask Ed
Go to Top of Page

ksu_bond
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
214 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2006 :  03:49:55  Show Profile Send ksu_bond a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What I was trying to say is that in the absense of a canon "slang" or "actual" name for the said peninsula one could simply create their own. Moreover, even if Ed does give you a canonical response to your question that doesn't mean that the sailors or locals still don't have another non-canon name for it.
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2006 :  16:36:52  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While not specifically for the Vast (which was formerly under RPGA control with Ravens' Bluff et al), there are canonical references in Sea of Fallen Stars and elsewhere using an honorific of The Demonlands for Impiltur and environs. This comes from its long history of being swiss-cheesed with portals to nether planes and constantly under attack by demons, devils, et al. Ask George more about it, as Impiltur's become his bailiwick moreso than me. I'd hoped to push for a boxed set like Lands of Intrigue and had proposed The Demonlands to let us revamp those lands in and adjacent to Impiltur back in 1998 for the 2000 schedule, but that never happened, alas.

Still, I'm fairly sure Demonlands has been used by more than just me.....

Steven
A former TSR wage slave

PS: On closer rereading, I realize that this doesn't answer your question re: the peninsular name. Like many things, that'd depend on who you ask. (i.e. "Why, that's the Volo Peninsula! Why? No one else named it, so far as I know...." ) I'd either ask George Krashos or wait for his upcoming article on Impiltur and link a name to either a famous ruler or shipwreck thereabouts.

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com

Edited by - Steven Schend on 12 Jun 2006 16:39:29
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2006 :  16:40:49  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sure George's article in next months Dragon about Impiltur will some some of these goodies in them.
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2006 :  22:56:39  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Awesome. Implitur seems like such an interesting setting.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2006 :  01:02:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Remember, you've also got the "Impiltur" mini-setting presented by the campaign details for the region in both CoV and CoR.

I would think that those two sections, coupled with George's upcoming article, would make a fine basis for a long running campaign in the region.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 13 Jun 2006 01:03:18
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000