Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 The Twilight Tomb
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2006 :  14:30:24  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Funny how different stores in the same chain operate. I got the module at Borders as soon as I read someone had obtained it.

I just got a chance to read through it. I liked it quite a bit, and actually I personally think it was better than Sons of Grummsh. More of the adventure was an adventure as opposed to the various orc statblocks (while useful, they didn't make the adventure, as a story, more compelling).

Really liked it, and I liked the BBEGs that the author chose to use. The new details on Star Elves aren't major, just little snippets that are interesting to add some flavor to the race, although some of the things that were mentioned did set my mind off on a different direction.

For a 32 page adventure I think it was a pretty cool adventure.

It´s good to know this! I´m a great fan of the star elves.

Err... what is a "BBEGs"???

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2006 :  14:32:31  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Big Bad Evil Guys . . .
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2006 :  14:36:07  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bob, I mainly read the adventure to see how it would play out, so I only referenced the maps from time to time to see where things were in relation to one another. While I hadn't caught the misplaced door, I know a few times a room is mentioned as having an alcove or a balcony and if you look at the map, the room has no details what so ever, which makes it a little harder to picture where said detail goes.

The adventure itself, however, is pretty solid, at least to my way of thinking.
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2006 :  17:19:40  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That's good enough for me, I'll be picking this up today. I'll let you all know my thoughts on it once I've read through it.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2006 :  17:35:20  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Big Bad Evil Guys . . .

Or Big Bad Evil Girls. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Mkhaiwati
Learned Scribe

USA
252 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2006 :  17:57:01  Show Profile  Visit Mkhaiwati's Homepage Send Mkhaiwati a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
quote:Originally posted by Kuje
quote:
quote:Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Big Bad Evil Guys . . .

Or Big Bad Evil Girls. :)

With their +3 cooties that crits on a 19-20, does 1d8 damage.

I went by my local store on Monday, and they said it had a street date of Tuesday, so they wouldn't put it out till then. (I remember that from a different discussion.) I plan on stopping by today to get it.

With regards to the issue of the maps not matching text, yeah, it can be annoying. I also am a little laid back with regards to these things, and if it isn't too bad, can just breeze on thru the mistakes. I try not to sweat the little things. I cannot expect perfection from them if I cannot provide perfection in everything I do. I try, but don't always succeed, so I give some leeway in others. If the mistakes are multiple, huge, and ugly, then someone may not be doing their job as well as I would like, but that is another issue. Stat blocks don't bother me.

Mkhaiwati

"Behold the work of the old... let your heritage not be lost but bequeath it as a memory, treasure and blessing... Gather the lost and the hidden and preserve it for thy children."

"not nale. not-nale. thog help nail not-nale, not nale. and thog knot not-nale while nale nail not-nale. nale, not not-nale, now nail not-nale by leaving not-nale, not nale, in jail." OotS #367
Go to Top of Page

BobROE
Learned Scribe

Canada
106 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2006 :  18:35:41  Show Profile  Visit BobROE's Homepage Send BobROE a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Bob, I mainly read the adventure to see how it would play out, so I only referenced the maps from time to time to see where things were in relation to one another. While I hadn't caught the misplaced door, I know a few times a room is mentioned as having an alcove or a balcony and if you look at the map, the room has no details what so ever, which makes it a little harder to picture where said detail goes.

Ya, I think it's a cool adventure (what I've read), but the map problems keep coming up in both WotC products and Dungeon and it really pisses me off. I mean look at the path that the guys in room 13 are suppose to follow and look at the map. I mean that sort of thing should be caught in editing.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2006 :  23:05:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BobROE

quote:

Ya, I think it's a cool adventure (what I've read), but the map problems keep coming up in both WotC products and Dungeon and it really pisses me off. I mean look at the path that the guys in room 13 are suppose to follow and look at the map. I mean that sort of thing should be caught in editing.

It's likely that the maps are drawn after the fact, when everything else is done.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

BobROE
Learned Scribe

Canada
106 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2006 :  03:27:18  Show Profile  Visit BobROE's Homepage Send BobROE a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

It's likely that the maps are drawn after the fact, when everything else is done.

But how could you get it wrong then? You'd just read the text.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2006 :  10:43:29  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Art Gallerys up

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ag/20060915b

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2006 :  16:21:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BobROE

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

But how could you get it wrong then? You'd just read the text.

By either not reading it in detail, or just by reading a summation. I don't think the art orders are accompanied by full product text.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2006 :  16:35:26  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And Wizards have posted an excerpt on their site.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2006 :  01:11:13  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

And Wizards have posted an excerpt on their site.

Seems interesting. I'm unsure if I'll pick it up due to lack of funds and the fact I can't see myself running it in the near future.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

thom
Seeker

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2006 :  16:31:55  Show Profile Send thom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey folks, I was modifying the Tomb for my group; has anyone else noticed how the Darkenbeast has changed? Does the weakness in sunlight (the -2 penalty) now imply that Darkenbeasts no longer die when exposed to sunlight??

If so, that's a pretty major change! I'm not sure how I feel about this; has anyone else decided this one way or the other?

Go to Top of Page

EvilKnight
Learned Scribe

USA
162 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2006 :  03:32:21  Show Profile  Visit EvilKnight's Homepage Send EvilKnight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello scribes,

The Twilight Tomb has been added to the Danali Index.

See sig below.

Danali Index
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2007 :  04:46:32  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I have to say, in 20 years of DMing, I've never had a TPK until tonight. I was running this adventure for my kids, with three characters bumped up in level to compensate for the missing character. They ran into some rough random encounters, including a Gibbering Mouther, and managed to survive it.

When they finally go into the tomb, well, I'll put on the spoilers for anyone that hasn't played this yet:

The had only a little problem with the owlbear encounter, rested up, managed to take out the skeletons and zombies on the lower level of the tower, rested again to be cautious, followed the footsteps to the room where they led, then decided to check out the other door, nearly went up the stair . . .

And then my son said, "you two, wait by the stairs, I'm just going to peek in the door really quick, and I'll run like hell if there is something in there."

The forsaken shell heard him, waited on the other side of the door, and pummeled him badly when he first opened it. It took another round before the girls got back to him, and the first time the fighter was near it, he clobbered her.

Two rounds later, the fighter was at -2, the favored soul was at -10, and the Warlock was the only one left standing, with the forsaken shell at about 80 + hit points.

Thus, I now have a TPK under my belt, and my kids have learned to never split the party, at all, even a little. They also learned how screwed you are if the healer goes down first.

Ah well.
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2007 :  10:05:44  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thus, I now have a TPK under my belt, and my kids have learned to never split the party, at all, even a little. They also learned how screwed you are if the healer goes down first.

That's how it is: Leasons in 'life' - got to learn them at some time!

Thanks for sharing this tale.

Ergdusch

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Edited by - Ergdusch on 03 Sep 2007 10:06:38
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2007 :  18:39:34  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only thing that save my group with that encounter was my really bad day of dice rollings.

Next sunday they will attack the redoubt of the nilshai! Let's see how good they will be with the surprises of the tower...

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000