Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Out of print novels
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2006 :  19:29:39  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic

It would be interesting to have a list of out of print and "nearly out of print" (like Thornhold) to help people (like me) that would like to catch up reading all FR novels.

Someone already have done something like this ?

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2006 :  19:35:51  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ack...it would be easier for you to check which novels are still available at amazon, based on the the bookshelf list. If it is still sold it ain't oop

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

wwwwwww
Learned Scribe

116 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2006 :  22:13:40  Show Profile  Visit wwwwwww's Homepage Send wwwwwww a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just go here:

http://www.candlekeep.com/bookshelf/novels.htm

There's your whole list of every FR book.
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2006 :  23:18:44  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, I'll do it and post my results here.

But there may be some errors like Thornhold wich Amazon list as available even if it delayed my order 4 times in a row.

Go to Top of Page

Beezy
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2006 :  15:04:12  Show Profile  Visit Beezy's Homepage Send Beezy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know at least for awhile that Black Wolf by Dave Gross book 4 of the Sembia series was difficult to get a hold of.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2006 :  17:36:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beezy

I know at least for awhile that Black Wolf by Dave Gross book 4 of the Sembia series was difficult to get a hold of.

From what I've heard, the Sembia series is going to be reprinted. This will make things easier on some of us.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2006 :  01:02:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed.

There's a recent scroll dedicated to this very topic in the FR Novels section.

Those interested should take a look.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 17 Jun 2006 01:22:25
Go to Top of Page

Arkhaedun
Senior Scribe

869 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2006 :  01:26:29  Show Profile  Visit Arkhaedun's Homepage Send Arkhaedun a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And that scroll would be here: http://www.candlekeep.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6976
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2006 :  01:33:50  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While I'm thrilled that the Sembia series is going to be reissued, I do wish some of the books not connected to a given series would be rereleased, such as Tymora's Luck, which I have yet to secure, after reading the excellent Finder's Bane.
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2006 :  05:26:51  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

While I'm thrilled that the Sembia series is going to be reissued, I do wish some of the books not connected to a given series would be rereleased, such as Tymora's Luck, which I have yet to secure, after reading the excellent Finder's Bane.

I found mine on ebay for about 2 bucks, but that was a while ago. Not a bad novel either I too wish for some of the older realms novels(finders stone trilogy please) to be reprinted. I believe it would even be very profitable for WoTC. Already published materials, slap a new updated cover, and run with it.
Go to Top of Page

gss_000
Acolyte

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2006 :  09:47:57  Show Profile  Visit gss_000's Homepage Send gss_000 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Try half.com (now part of ebay) if you're looking for an internet site or even a local used bookstore. I keep on finding out of print FR books in stores like these. It's how I finished several series like the Double Diamond and Netheril Tilogy.

As for Tymora's Luck, I'd be very surprised to ever see it again. It was part of a trilogy, the Lost God's Trilogy, with the second book taking place on Krynn in a Dragonlance book. I love all the Alias/Finder books, but I think this series won't ever be reprinted. The cosmology contradicts the new source material. While this is a shame, I think it's a headache that WOTC would want to avoid.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2006 :  11:23:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gss_000

quote:

Try half.com (now part of ebay) if you're looking for an internet site or even a local used bookstore. I keep on finding out of print FR books in stores like these. It's how I finished several series like the Double Diamond and Netheril Tilogy.

As for Tymora's Luck, I'd be very surprised to ever see it again. It was part of a trilogy, the Lost God's Trilogy, with the second book taking place on Krynn in a Dragonlance book. I love all the Alias/Finder books, but I think this series won't ever be reprinted. The cosmology contradicts the new source material. While this is a shame, I think it's a headache that WOTC would want to avoid.

As I recently discovered, Tymora's Luck was actually intended to be a Planescape novel. But they decided they'd not be able to sell a PS novel, so they made it FR.

Go to Top of Page

gss_000
Acolyte

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2006 :  18:28:10  Show Profile  Visit gss_000's Homepage Send gss_000 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
As I recently discovered, Tymora's Luck was actually intended to be a Planescape novel. But they decided they'd not be able to sell a PS novel, so they made it FR.

I'd heard this before as well. But didn't they come out with a couple of PS novels, separate from this series? Moreso than any other line that did not survive, this is one I really miss. At least they included much of the material in the Planar Handbook.

Anyways, back to the thread, is there a connection between books they republished and who is still an author with the company? I was thinking it was just a matter of what series have sold well in the past, but the lack of a updated Finder Stone Trilogy seems to disprove this idea.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2006 :  18:46:52  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I'd heard this before as well. But didn't they come out with a couple of PS novels, separate from this series? Moreso than any other line that did not survive, this is one I really miss. At least they included much of the material in the Planar Handbook.

Four if I recall right. A trilogy and then a stand alone novel based on the Planescape computer game. However, most of the Planescape novels were/are considered noncanon. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

wwwwwww
Learned Scribe

116 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2006 :  00:31:00  Show Profile  Visit wwwwwww's Homepage Send wwwwwww a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
. . . is there a connection between books they republished and who is still an author with the company? I was thinking it was just a matter of what series have sold well in the past, but the lack of a updated Finder Stone Trilogy seems to disprove this idea.

As I understand it, WoTC owns the rights to every FR novel, so they can reprint anything they wish. They've reprinted Denning novels (Twlight Giants), and he isn't on the current roster. I also don't think all the Sembia authors are still on the current roster (Dave Gross, Voronica Whitney-Robinson), and they're going to reprint those as well. And when Once Around The Realms gets reprinted next year, that'll be another example.

I'm not certain why they haven't reprinted the Finder Stone Trilogy. My personal guess is that they simply don't believe it'll sell enough to be worth the time. Maybe they don't believe Novak/Grubb carry enough of a name to generate interest (though it seems to me that they would). I have to admit though, Azure Bonds is one of my favorite covers, and it'd be hard to see that book come out with a different cover.
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2006 :  00:44:16  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, if you count the game-novel, there's 5.

The Blood Wars trilogy and Pages of Pain. :)

Troy Denning was so much better in that apocryphal book than in RotAW...

Planescape Fanatic

"Fiends and Undead are the peanut butter and jelly of evil." - Me
"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2006 :  00:57:13  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GothicDan

Ah, well see I was off by one, my bad. I don't own any of the Planescape novels and never had a interest in getting them, so I was going from memory.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2006 :  01:44:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:

Ah, well see I was off by one, my bad. I don't own any of the Planescape novels and never had a interest in getting them, so I was going from memory.

I didn't even know the novels existed!

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2006 :  01:52:38  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:

I didn't even know the novels existed!

Grin. :)

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2006 :  02:11:09  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The unofficial one based on Torment?

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2006 :  03:05:56  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yup.

Planescape Fanatic

"Fiends and Undead are the peanut butter and jelly of evil." - Me
"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

Dremvek
Seeker

70 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2006 :  03:35:40  Show Profile  Visit Dremvek's Homepage Send Dremvek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Planescape: Torment was by Ray and Valerie Vallese
Planescape Pages of Pain was by Troy Denning
The Blood Wars trilogy was by J. Robert King - individual titles are
Blood Hostages
Abyssal Warriors
Planar Powers

In case anyone is interested in collecting :)

Edited by - Dremvek on 20 Jun 2006 03:36:14
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000