Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Help KnightErrantJR pick his next book to read
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2006 :  05:48:37  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
Alright, I admit it, I'm horribly indecisive. I don't care if I have to do some digging, I just want to know what series I should read next. I'll read them all eventually, but I figure, why use my own brain when there are so many out there being used by my fellow scribes.

So, vote for what set of books I will start reading next. Of course, I'm going to pause to finish up the books that come up in the Book Club, but hey, I have to have a back up for when I finish.

Thanks!

Results:
Scions of Arrabar Series   [8%] 2 votes
Threat from the Sea Series   [12%] 3 votes
Coucellors and Kings Series   [36%] 9 votes
The House of Serpents Trilogy   [12%] 3 votes
The Rogue Series   [8%] 2 votes
The Priests Series that I haven''''t read yet   [0%] 0 votes
What I haven''''t read of the Harper''''s Series   [4%] 1 votes
The Revised Shandril''''s Saga   [8%] 2 votes
The Anthologies I haven''''t read yet   [0%] 0 votes
The Fighters Series I haven''''t read yet   [4%] 1 votes
The Lost Gods Series (okay, Tymora''''s Luck)   [8%] 2 votes
The Cities (other than Waterdeep)   [0%] 0 votes

Poll Status: Locked  »»   Total Votes: 25 counted  »»   Last Vote: 22 Jun 2006 16:18:28 

Edited by - KnightErrantJR on 23 Jun 2006 03:27:56

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2006 :  07:33:27  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I don't know which Harper books you have not red, so it is a little difficult to answer, most are good, a few mediocre. If you have not red the original Shandril books these should be your first choice. I must admit that I have lost a little interest in the newer Realms novels, so I'm not the best to counsel you.

I would say the Harper books or the House of Serpents Trilogy. Most people really like Counselors and Kings (I am one of the few that don't) so they probably should be high at your list. Scions of Arrabar are good, at least the first two, as I still have not red the last one.

Edited by - Jorkens on 20 Jun 2006 15:48:24
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2006 :  08:38:07  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since I think Elaine is in a class of her own among the FR-writers this one is easy to me. The Councillors and Kings trilogy.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2006 :  08:47:08  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted for the Fighters series but I did so for the sole purpose of recommending Son of Thunder. Son of Thunder was a novel that surprised me, it is a good story and absolutely jam packed with Realmslore. Even if you don't read the entire series (if you can call them a series since they are stand alone novels) I highly reoommend this one first.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2006 :  11:04:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Everyone knows I love Elaine's stuff.... But you can't beat the writing duo of Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb. Tymora's Luck, then the Councillors and Kings trilogy.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2006 :  13:34:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm going to say "Counselors & Kings"... firstly because it's an Elaine work, and secondly... it's featuring a region we don't hear a lot about in the Realmslore.

From there... I'd go with Ed's "Shandril's Saga".

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 20 Jun 2006 13:34:59
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2006 :  15:12:44  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My vote is to read em all, but counselors and kings is a very, very good trilogy. Can't go wrong with Elaine's work
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2006 :  15:46:00  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Bane

I voted for the Fighters series but I did so for the sole purpose of recommending Son of Thunder. Son of Thunder was a novel that surprised me, it is a good story and absolutely jam packed with Realmslore. Even if you don't read the entire series (if you can call them a series since they are stand alone novels) I highly reoommend this one first.

Well, I read Ghostwalker and Son of Thunder, both of which were very good, so the fighters book would actually be Master of Chains and Bladesinger.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2006 :  15:52:32  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

Well, I don't know which Harper books you have not red, so it is a little difficult to answer, most are good, a few mediocre. If you have not red the original Shandril books these should be your first choice. I must admit that I have lost a little interest in the newer Realms novels, so I'm not the best to counsel you.

I would say the Harper books or the House of Serpents Trilogy. Most people really like Counselors and Kings (I am one of the few that don't) so they probably should be high at your list. Scions of Arrabar are good, at least the first two, as I still have not red the last one. Shandril, if you have not red the original

I read the original Spellfire and Crown of Fire, but not the revised books or Hand of Fire.

I haven't read Crypt of the Shadowking, Soldiers of Ice, Curse of the Shadowmage, or the Veiled Dragon in the Harpers series.
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2006 :  16:09:14  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, Soldiers of Ice is a personal favorite, but different from many of the other Realms books. Veiled Dragon I did not like, mostly because of the Kara Tur connections. Crypt of the Shadowking and Curse of the Shadowmage I have not read for years, but I remember liking them. If these are the alternatives, I stand by my advise for the Harpers. It seems I am a lonely vote on that one.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2006 :  17:17:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

Well, Soldiers of Ice is a personal favorite, but different from many of the other Realms books. Veiled Dragon I did not like, mostly because of the Kara Tur connections. Crypt of the Shadowking and Curse of the Shadowmage I have not read for years, but I remember liking them. If these are the alternatives, I stand by my advise for the Harpers. It seems I am a lonely vote on that one.

I'm pretty much the opposite, I guess. I didn't like Soldiers of Ice, and I didn't particularly care for Crypt of the Shadowking and Curse of the Shadowmage, either. Veiled Dragon I liked, though it's been a while since I read it.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Larloch
Acolyte

Spain
24 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2006 :  17:25:00  Show Profile  Visit Larloch's Homepage Send Larloch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't all the books that are listed, but I consider Counselors and Kings the best book I read of Elaine.
The Priest series I didn't readed, but Lady of Poison it was a very interesting book considering the background it has.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2006 :  17:27:41  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Larloch

I haven't all the books that are listed, but I consider Counselors and Kings the best book I read of Elaine.
The Priest series I didn't readed, but Lady of Poison it was a very interesting book considering the background it has.

I've read Mistress of the Night and Queen of the Depths, so its good to hear about one of the two books in the series I haven't read. I've been very hit or miss with some of the series rather than following the whole thing, though I got Queen of the Depths because it was peripherally connected to the Year of Rogue Dragons books, and was very happy with it on its own.
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2006 :  17:39:51  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Just to throw a spanner in the works, I suggested the Scions of Arrabar Trilogy

A great collection of novels ye have listed there, KnightErrantJR. A hard decision indeed, but based on recent enjoyment levels, I have to opt for this particular trilogy. More a story of intrigue, mystery and light on combat.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2006 :  17:43:10  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I really do plan on reading most of the books on the list eventually anyway, I'm just looking for the next direction to take, though I will definately drop everything and read Blackstaff when it comes out.
Go to Top of Page

Beezy
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2006 :  18:15:20  Show Profile  Visit Beezy's Homepage Send Beezy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted for the House of Serpents because I thought it was a great series. It showcases a few things I have not really come across in other realms novels and I think you would enjoy it. I thought it was a pretty clever series.

I am with Jorkens on the Counselors and Kings books. I did not think they were bad, I just did not like them nearly as much as the Songs and Swords or The Liriel trilogy I am drawing a blank on the name of for some odd reason...maybe Starlight and Shadows?

Threat from the Sea was so-so.

The appeal of the Rogues, Harpers, Fighters, etc is that you can read one and move on to somehting different plus they are different authors so you are getting variety. So if you go that route I would suggest City of Ravens, Tymora's luck, Lady of Posion, and the Veiled Dragon as your first reads assuming you have them already.

The Scions trilogy was pretty good but I would suggest the House of serpents first.

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2006 :  18:24:06  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
City of Ravens has the distinction as being the only book that my daughter has read that I haven't. Oddly enough, she found it in her school library, and she highly recommends it. I just never had a chance to read it myself.

Oh, and let this be a lesson to all of you little leaugers out there . . . don't get behind on your Realmslore, or else you have to go online and ask other people to help you make up your mind to get caught up!

Oh, and don't marry a fiendish harpy that manages to erase five years of your life in regards to your ability to follow Realmslore . . .

Fiendish harpies + marriage = bad . . .
Go to Top of Page

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2006 :  20:37:49  Show Profile Send Dhomal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello-

I certainly understand the 'dont fall behind' thought. I think I may be farther behind in my reading than you are KEJR. I was considering asking some questions also - but less so for recomendations - but more for order. Obviously - the true 'series' books must be read in order - but, for example - I should read the Sembia series Before reading the Cale books. That sort of order. And I *DO* so love the stand-alone 'series' books - because I can read them in any order - as well as between other trilogies. That being said - another issue *I* have is the desire to read a series only after all of the books become available. I really dont like having to wait - and so I wait to start. Just me I guess.

Oh - and what would the CR be ofr a 'Fiendish Harpy'? :)

Dhomal

I am collecting the D&D Minis. I would be more than willing to trade with people. You can send me a PM here with your email listed - and I can send you my minis list. Thanks!

Successfully traded with Xysma!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2006 :  20:50:56  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dhomal

That being said - another issue *I* have is the desire to read a series only after all of the books become available. I really dont like having to wait - and so I wait to start. Just me I guess.

Dhomal

Not just you, which is why I'm plowing through 4 FR trilogies in the last few weeks. :) I've been putting them off or waiting for all three books to come out.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2006 :  20:52:22  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its not the CR of the fiendish harpy that gets you, its the EL of a fiendish harpy and a hellspawn lawyer at the same time . . . but I digress.

I must admit, I'm weird, but I skipped to reading the Cale books before I read the Sembia books. I'm still interested in reading them, though I'm waiting until they get rereleased. So I read things out of their proper temporal place all of the time.
Go to Top of Page

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2006 :  21:33:06  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ROGUE... One simple reason. It is great entertainment and a look into the shadows of Faerun. I liked it, and recommend it.

"When dragons make war, worlds can only tremble in the shadow of angry wings"
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2006 :  01:34:01  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master of Chains was very, very good.

But I honestly can't pick, because there are some great books on the list. Shandril's saga, House of Serpents, Scions of Arrabar...

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Mkhaiwati
Learned Scribe

USA
252 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2006 :  01:46:13  Show Profile  Visit Mkhaiwati's Homepage Send Mkhaiwati a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have only read the Counselors and Kings and the House of Serpents series, as well as a few here and there like yourself. While I like Ms. Cunningham's stuff, I voted for House of Serpents because of the different characters, as well as some good Realmslore, not that the other series has something to offer too. You just don't see too many psionic characters. Ms. Smedman also has a good writing style.

Mkhaiwati

"Behold the work of the old... let your heritage not be lost but bequeath it as a memory, treasure and blessing... Gather the lost and the hidden and preserve it for thy children."

"not nale. not-nale. thog help nail not-nale, not nale. and thog knot not-nale while nale nail not-nale. nale, not not-nale, now nail not-nale by leaving not-nale, not nale, in jail." OotS #367
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11692 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2006 :  21:04:44  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A good old fashioned copy of Playboy. Seriously, I recently found out its got more than pictures. Who knew? <g>

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2006 :  08:29:03  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And here I thought everyone read those for the articles. At least that's what my uncle would tell grandmother according to my dad.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2006 :  15:17:07  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just finished Threat from the Sea, and it now stands as one of my favorite trilogies so I voted for it. Of course, you can't go wrong with Counselors and Kings, it's excellent.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2006 :  03:27:32  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, since its ahead in the running, and I needed a book to read at the Gym while I was on the treadmill, I ended up getting the Magehound. Its been a very interesting book, and definately distinct from the Song and Swords and Starlight and Shadows books. Thanks for the input everyone . . . meet you back here when I finish up the trilogy . . .
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000